Pontiac G6 Forum banner

GM is replacing Catalytic Converters

50K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Jessthemess 
#1 ·
Received a letter yesterday from Pontiac telling me they will replace faulty converters up to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Letter referred to 2008 G6 with 2.4 engine and 4 speed automatic. I don't know what other years are covered. Thanks GM for stepping up to the plate on this one. Haven't had the problem myself but lots have. They also say they will reimburse those who have already paid for the repair. :)

#9 ·
Talked to dealer service dept. They said the cat warranty extension on my 08 G6 is good till 120k miles or 2017, whichever comes first. However, the SEL light MUST be on with the faulty cat code for them to replace it through the warranty. What bullshit! If there is enough of a problem to extend the warranty then do they really think that some of the exact same cats won't fail? Of course not! They are just hoping not everyone will see this warranty extension and get it replaced on GM's dime. So it's either I replace it on my own or continue to drive it in the unsafe condition until the light decides to come on. Very disappointed with GM in this aspect of the repair they are offering. My G6 is accelerating so poorly I refuse to allow my wife or daughters to drive it in fear that they will try and accelerate to cross an intersection or get on the highway and may get in an accident due to the poor acceleration. My father is a retired GM worker and I have owned 9 GM vehicles in my life but instances like this are driving me away. I was very close to buying a Cruze the other day, but didn't and I'm not sure I will because I am so done dealing with GM and how they handle things like this. And no I do not believe I would be reimbursed later if I did the job myself because I already got screwed years ago on my 02 trailblazer when my taillight circuit board crapped out and the recall was to be announced soon after but I had to fork out over $350 to the dealer only to haven GM corporate tell me that even though their own GM dealer mechanics said it was the same problem that the recall was that GM corporate didn't think so and I was NOT reimbursed. I'm just tired of going down this road with GM.

#10 ·
Do a backpressure test on the cat, you may find the cat is not even your problem...

#11 ·
So, as i am waiting for my cat to fail (if that is indeed the problem) i borrowed a buddies scan tool. I still have no codes stored but what i am wanting to do is monitor the cat O2 sensors as the car is being driven. My question is what parameters am i looking for in a good or failing cat? I didn't see thread addressing this so i figured i'd ask the question here. Thanks again in advance for any help. Oh, and i don't know anybody with a back pressure gauge so i'm outta luck in that dept.

#12 ·
Most auto stores will rent out tools like a backpressure gauge

#13 ·
None of the parts stores in my area (autozone,advance,oreilly,napa) rent out the back pressure gauge. My 08 is still limping along as it has been with no codes present. I tried to p.m. The GM Customer Rep on the site but did not get a response. If they are reading this I would appreciate if they would contact me. I'm about to drive this hunk of shit into a nearby quarry and buy a Ford.

#15 ·
Sorry if this is a late and or a dumb question, but have you already checked the normal tune up items, Air filter, plugs, wires, etc? I think GM says to change the plugs and wires at 100k.

#17 ·
Well, it's been almost a week since i've had any correspondence from the GM Customer Service Rep. If she is reading this would she please check her private message inbox and correspond with me via the email or the phone number i provided. Thanks

#18 ·
Well FINALLY the SES light came on today. Had it scanned and the infamous P0420 code popped up. (imagine that) So i called the dealer and i set up to drop it off Monday morning so they can look at it. Now only if i can get through the rest of this without any problems with the dealer trying to screw me i'll be not nearly as ticked off as i have been. I STILL have yet to hear back from the GM rep that contacted me before. If you are reading this GM i'd LOVE to have some assurance that this will be resolved and that it will be recorded in what ever fashion that you said you wished to do in the instant message that this car was nearly undriveable for MONTHS before the code popped up. We'll see how this goes.

#19 ·
Ok, so I dropped my car off Sunday night and I am happy to report that after the dealer replaced the Catalytic Converter and manifold that the car is yet again running like a champ! This was all covered under the extended cat coverage (120K miles or 2017). Also GM Customer Service did get back to me and were very helpful, thank you Jennifer and Andraya. I am, however, very disappointed that the policy on this issue is to only allow for diagnosis if the P0420 code is present. My car was nearly unable to be driven for months due to how poorly is was accelerating, and yet since there was no code present the dealer refused to do any other diagnosis. This, GM, is unacceptable in my opinion. So if any of you G6 owners are having poor acceleration and cannot get above 65mph on the highway then there is a very real possibility that your Catalytic Converter is going bad.

#20 ·
Glad to hear that she's feeling better!

#21 ·
I know this is an older thread so please excuse me. P0420 code came up when GM dealer in Canada ran diagnostics on 09 SE with 2.4L (148k (kM) or 92k miles). Car had check engine light on, was running like crap and bad fuel economy. Was in for other recall work not done by previous owner. I mentioned that I heard GM extending warranty on this code and problem for some GM models till 2017 and 120k miles. Dealer had no idea. Total repair bill with tax just under $1000. I have complaint into GM Canada and waiting for response.

Any other Canucks have success with 09 G6 2.4L P0420 code repairs being covered by GM? I'd love to have a copy of that letter stateside that covered this?

Thanks..

#22 ·
Just had an interesting conversation with GM Canada. The "ambassador" told me that maybe someone idled the car for too long in the past, yeah sure. Got the standard, "issue is beyond warranty coverage so nothing we can do for you". I'm not surprised, just disappointed, not the "GM experience" I expected. Essential we are SOL. Advised to keep my bill in case there is a recall or policy change at some time in the future (was that a snicker?).

#25 ·
Hi there, I recently found out that my 08 G6 has a broken and plugged catalytic convertor and it has cause internal overheating of the engine and damaged two cylinders. My car only has 60,000 miles. Do you have a copy of that letter or know where I can get a copy of that document? I really need some help here. Please text me at 647-992-9007 or email me at djluic1971@gmail.com please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.