Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Aux-in for stock headunits! how-to guide for G6

126K views 115 replies 46 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 · (Edited)
G6 owners rejoice! I found a cheap way to add a quality auxiliary input to a stock G6 headunit! I bought and installed a and it works great! Basically you plug youre car's antenna into the Modulator, and the modulator into the headunit. Because it is hardwired, it allows for much better sound quality than a wireless transmitter. It isnt quite cd quality, but its pretty good considering the price.

How-To:

Several People expressed interest in the modulator, so i figured a how-to guide for the G6 couldnt hurt. First off, along with the modulator unit, G6 owners will need antenna adapters because GM vehicles use a micro antenna fitting (). You will need to remove a good portion of the dash to get at the back of the radio, so [ame]http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5991[/ame] is an excellent tutorial (its a life saver).

After the dash is opened up, find a suitable place to install the modulator. I used double sided tape to stick it in with the fuse box (below and right of the radio). After the modulator is mounted, run the antenna hook-ups behind the radio, hook the modulator into the antenna and headunit using the adapters. Tuck the wires down behind the radio - dont worry, theres plenty of space.

You can see in the picture below were I located everything, and how I wired the power.
In the G6, the fusebox is located conveniently close to the radio, so running the wiring was a breeze.

Now connect the black wire to the frame (see above, bottom right), [edit] and tap (or tuck under) the red wire to the A/C fuse so that it will cut power when the ignition is off. The modulator comes with a 2 amp inline fuse so you dont have to worry about burning it up.

Now that the antenna and power is hooked up you need to find a spot for the power switch and 1/8" mini plug. The unit comes with a nice little housing that can be stuck in a good location, but i wanted to hide mine, so i installed the power and mini plug in the top of the cubby just below the A/C controls.

Now youre pretty much done, but before putting the dash back together, test the system to make sure it works! The modulator can be set to broadcast on 87.9 and 88.1 FM (if i remember right), so pick whichever you want to set the radio to. After youre satisfied that everything works, put the dash back together and youre done! Here are some more pics of the modulator and my finished product.

Thanks for reading :D! Let me know what you think and dont hesitate to ask questions if I didnt explain things well enough :glasses:

EDIT: I found that I was getting some interference when I cranked up the A/C. I looked an noticed that I had the wiring routed up against the A/C electric fan housing (behind the head unit), so I rerouted the wiring further away from it and the audio is clear.

See less See more
2 7
Reactions: Iowa06G6GTP
#4 ·
#6 ·
mmm im not sure what you mean... it is hard wired. if you mean replacing the head unit, there are several reasons why i didnt: cost and loss of the computer display, mainly.

#14 ·
alright....well i got the monsson, maybe ill order it and make a weekend project out of it....now where to mount that huge box and inputs...?

#15 ·
Talked to the customer service at discount parts direct and here is the link for what would work for a 07 GT with monsoon and no xm

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1246

From what i understand if your car totally doesnt have sat radio (what it works through, i think :confused:) then you have to go to the dealer and have them activate it....other wise looks like it should work fine, has a one year warranty and can be returned if it doesnt work. If you search "PXAMG operation in 2009 pontiac G6" on youtube they have a demo

#16 · (Edited)
Talked to the customer service at discount parts direct ...
if your talking about GMPARTSDIRECT.COM then I call BS.

They have no service. Thats how they are so cheap. ZERO customer service....

Oh wait a minute.....they dont have your money yet do they? Order and then call them and see how they treat you.

I freeeking hate them. They suck. The parts are cheap and good but if
you have a problem you are SOL. :mad:

Pay attention to the screen with small print that you have to hit accept to order. READ what it says. The cliff note version is:

"I give up all my rights and agree to get screwed and do not hold GMpartsdirect lible for anything they do"

#17 ·
#19 ·
well i ordered the device yesterday, shipped out today:D

I'll yet ya'll know when i get it and how it works

#20 ·
Received the product took apart the dash installed it and.....it didn't work. Turns out I have an 07 monsoon stereo without xm and the product needs the xm port to function (the rep gave me the wong info.) so looks like for my situation I would just have to go the route of getting a new headunit with an aux. If you like the look of this system and the fact that its cheaper than getting a new headunit, make sure your vehicle IS XM CAPABLE

#21 · (Edited)
RR,
oh no!! i was hopping for good news. Prior to reading your post i found this person who successfully install the PAC version of the pxamg in his 2005 G6
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3378&highlight=ipod+adapter (see post #4)

Mine (like yours) does not have XM and according to that website the xm port must be active or get activated by a dealer otherwise it will not recognize the adapter.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1246

did this not work despite having the dealer activate that port?

I'm curious to know what you did

#22 ·
I followed all of the instructions to the letter. But the problem was that since my car doesn't have the monsoon radio that is xm capable. Which means that my cars radio harness doesn't have the necessary 12 pin connector that is ain addition to the stereos 24 pin connector. This 12 pin connector is necessary for the product to work since this is the xm radio connector and the connector is that pathway that the system uses to create a glitch in the xm band that allows you to control your iPod through the stereo. So I found this out after I took the entire dash apart. And after that I made an appointment with Pontiac to try and activate my satillite radio port (they were going to charge me $34 because they weren't sure if it was going to work. However I was able to find out the afformentioned facts from the companys tech so I didn't have Pontiac take my money. In process my stereo f'ed up and started displaying "changer parked" and "calibrate" so I had to have Pontiac reprogram it. Bottom line if your stereo has xm or the capability and you have the guts to take the terribly designed dash apart this interface WILL work.

#26 ·
If your asking about the uPAC-GM11b then the only requirements is that it is a monsoon stereo with the 'Band' button above the volume control. You can click on the link in my signature block for more info.

#28 ·
I bought the PIE GM12-AUXV2 mentioned earlier in the thread to use in my 07 G6 GT Convertible, but have been unable to make it work.

I noted all of the comments about it needing to be a Monsoon with the XM radio port enabled (it is -- I can hear the prevew channel), but when I try to toggle to Aux by pressing seek up/seek down, it just seeks the XM radio up and down.

I've verified that I have 12V going to the unit, and the jumper is set to "XM".

Any other suggestions?

#29 ·
GM12-AUXv2 will not work in that vehicle because its a GM Class 2 adapter and your vehicles is GM LAN. Good news is that you will be able to use the PXAMG-GM3 mentioned in this thread without any issues.

As for the other post.. Monsoon has no relation to this system. As far as i know if the radio has a P-type button on the face it will have the two connectors on the back. You won't know if the radio is already programmed for XM until you connect it. The sure thing is that any radio with a P-type button is XM ready.

#30 ·
I installed the scosche modulato in my car last night and I dont have XM or monsoon or even the 12 pin port on the back of my radio and mine works great. this guide is a lifesaver. the only difference was that extended the wires so I could run my switch and input back into my center console where I had an OEM cutout for what I assume was a place for a cigarrette lighter. this guide was really a lifesaver.

#35 ·
this ipod adapter worked like a charm....

last weekend, i installed this on my ´05 G6 (w/ single cd Monsoon stereo) and worked like a charm, it also displays the ipod info. I took it to my car audio installer and it took him no more than 10 min. to install it. it was a clean install because the seller sends the adaptor with the harness right for our G6´s, also send me a RCA to 3.5 mm cable to connect it to the aditional RCA aux inputs that the adaptor has.

check it out:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...para-autos-gm-gmc-pontiac-cadillac-hummer-_JM

this cost me around 110 bucks plus 13 dlls of shipping in this bid.

#38 ·
I love this forum and all of you experts so I have a question... Have any of you determined if the PXAMG or the PAC uPAC-GM11B is the way to go for the aux/iPod? I am going to buy one of them but since they are both over a hundred bucks, I wanted some input as to which product you guys thought was the better choice. Thanks for any opinions that you may have.

#39 ·
Don't know much about the PXAMG, but I know in order to get HD you have to have a HD tuner to connect to it. Also don't know if you can control the Ipod like you can with the UPAC. I'm sure you prob can, but never used it. The install for the UPAC was pretty simple.

#40 ·
If you are considering either the PXAMG or uPAC and will have a device running iOS4 that you want to use with it (iPhone 4, iPad), you may want to hold off on buying a unit for a little bit. PAC just released a hardware and firmware update and if you have one of the older units (i.e. you buy one today) it is $30 for the hardware update to work properly with the new OS.

I just got my unit last Friday and made an exchange for the proper cable on Tuesday. Wish I had known about the update sooner as I was at their SoCal office and could have gotten it taken care of.

~ MattInSoCal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.