Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Transmission problems

57K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  Dan w g6 
#1 ·
Just took my 2005 G 6 to the shop. It has not been accelerating well between 40 and 60 miles per hour for the past month. Diagnosis=transmission has to come out. Anyone else having problems?

#5 ·
Any word on how that turned out? And what specific problems was the car having?
I've felt a few weird things with my 2007 G6 with less than 10K miles regarding shifting at 35 mph+, but the dealer finds nothing and I worry it's all in my head. Sometimes when accelerating slowly between 40 and 50 it shifts a bit on the clunky side. Also, when driving over 60 mph and again accelerating slowly, without shifting gears, I get a small hesitation. If I give a bit more gas and it shifts gears it's no problem. But it just seems weird for an almost brand new car.
Any thoughts or results would be helpful. Thanks.

#6 · (Edited)
Sounds like the same issue I am having with my GTP 3.6L....almost no engine response as pedal is depressed, RPMs actually decrease (happens at about ~60MPH in 6, ~50MPH in 5...basically around 1300-1500RPM, where the computer wants car wants to run). Tranny will finally downshift seeing there is no speed increase with much increased pedal. Taking the dealer for a test drive tomorrow....

#15 ·
My mom's Saturn Aura (3600, 6speed slushbox) does the same things:confused:. Same mechanically as the g6. It's likely a transmission programming deal with GM trying to get as much mpg as possible out of the thing, since they're all electronically controlled these days.

#7 ·
cdsipjp said:
Sounds like the same issue I am having with my GTP 3.6L....almost no engine response as pedal is depressed, RPMs actually decrease (happens at about ~60MPH in 6, ~50MPH in 5...basically around 1300-1500RPM, where the computer wants car wants to run). Tranny will finally downshift seeing there is no speed increase with much increased pedal. Taking the dealer for a test drive tomorrow....
Do you have the 6 speed auto tranny? If you do, I have heard of delayed shifting in those units.

#9 ·
Just brought my 2007 GTP for a 3000mi check-up. One thing I complained about was somewhat harsh and erratic shifting at times. They found there was an update to the Transmission controller software, and I'll tell you, its like driving an entirely different car. All shifts are very smooth now, barely noticeable. Not sure which years the update covers, but if you are experiencing harsh or erratic shifting, I would recommend the dealer updates your car. I think the update is rather new, as my car was built in March (and it didn't have it). Transmission is the 6-speed auto/manual.

#10 ·
I have a 2005 G6 V6 and i have just frequently been noticing certain things with it, The first thing i noticed was the delayed start every once in a while. Then i noticed the vibrating noise behind the dash board. Then i noticed the steering problems just yesterday i heard some weird noises coming from the steering column as i turned the wheel sharply in either direction. Just after that i noticed that the transmission just felt a little sticky, but that could be due to the fact that it has 47,000 miles on it and i need to get the fluid flushed soon. my girlfriend was in an accident like 3 months back, and about 2 weeks after it, i started to hear a noise from around the tires as i turned. it was a squealing noise and it only does it everyonce in a while, ive asked around and everyone thinks it can be something different, like the strut bearings, and the brake shoes hitting the rotors. im no mechanic so if anyone else thinks they might know what it is then let me know please.

#18 ·
Ive had much of the same problems with my 05' G6 3.5 GT. At no particular speed (seemingly depending on the air temp. and humidity) wether im in cruise controll or not, I get what feels like fuel surges. I also have a problem with the left front suspension. Everything is tight but going over bumps (railroad tracks makes it nausiating) I get thumps and rattles. I think it may be a strut bearing plate, not sure. I also hear the fan motor behind the dash on the 1 & 2 settings. I experiance hesitant starting and sometimes the remote start wont do the job. the dealership cant seem to get my drivers seat right eighter. At first it was a broken seat frame (underneath) and now Ive had it back to them 3 different times cause the plastic seat back wont stay in place and it makes the chair lean. I just got an oil change, new tires, and an alignment, my MPG went from 26 to 21 in 5 days. it sucks this car is a lease with no more warranty.

#20 ·
g6

I have 2009 g6 39374 miles i am 1st owner. Sunday 7-10-11 car did not want to move. Wrecker took it to dealer yesterday. Today dealer says needs new transmission hadn't check power sterring yet. 39000 miles and new transmission? Is this gonna happen every 39-40000 miles. I love my g6 but repairs like this can add up thank god i have roadside asst and factory warranty this time but what if i don't next time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.