Pontiac G6 Forum banner

power steering help

152K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  Techlife48 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Okay not a big G6 guru. But I did a search I just want to clarify what I think I read.

Power steering: our cars are electric assist and not pump.

My power steering light came on in the radio area and the service light came on in the gauge area. So I went and purchased power steering fluid. I guess I should take it back because I looked for a reservoir and didn't find one.

So is this a huge problem where I need to take it to GM right away because that is going to cost an arm and maybe leg? Please help me out here. This is my daily.

#2 ·
Okay not a big G6 guru. But I did search I just want to clarify what I think I read.

Power steering: our cars are electric asist and not pump.

my power steering light came on. the radio area and the service light came on in the guage area. So I went and purchased power steering fluid. I guess I should take it back becuawe I looked for a resovoir and didn't find one.

So is this a huge problem where I need to take it to GM right away becuase that is going to cost a arm and maybe leg. Please help me out here. This is my daily.
Its about 50/50 power steering, electric. Yours probably has power asist mine has power steering. Reservoir is left side top motor. The service light may be pointing out a voltage failure or something. Just have to hook the computer up to it to find out.

#3 ·
I hate to tell you. 176,000 Pontiac G6 Sedans made between 05 and 06 have been reported with power steering problems.

Since your vehicle is electric power steering as is mine..
I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT and it's power steering light came on. It's an intermittent thing with the power steering.

Sometimes you will lose power steering and sometimes you won't. You just have to restart the car and play with it a little. Mine is actually being serviced right now with the same problem. I was reading that they have to replace the whole steering column and its electrical box?

I'm not to sure but I would take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to the computer which should run you about $100 diagnostic fee. The repiar should be around $800-$1000 but we'll see when mine gets out.

I would have it check out soon b/c if you are driving you might lose power steerin and may cause an accident. trust me, driving a car without power steering isn't easy.

#4 ·
05 and 06 G6s have electric power steering. 2007+ has the traditional pump power steering. I thankfully never had the steering lockup that some of the 05s and 06s had. (knock on wood...)

Reactions: Techlife48
#22 ·
My '07 G6 standard sedan with 2.4L is electric and it starting crapping out a few weeks ago. $600 from the dealer to replace the torque sensor section down the column next to the motor. The was a factory recall with free replacement good for ten years after the affected models were released. Mine's too old. :(

#5 ·
Yea, they switched becuase they realized how much a pain it was and all the problems they were having with it. And they aren't going to recall it b/c they figure its cheaper to pay the 'suit of owners then to reconfigure the car and pay garages to do the recalls.

#6 ·
Please report all power steering failures to NHTSA. Four cylinder 06 G6 has electric power assist motor, no hydraulic reservoir anywhere to fill. My power steering assist motor failed intermittantly and without warning repeatedly with 16,000 miles (Yes 16,000 NOT 116,000). Original estimate $825. After one week of getting nowhere with GM/Pontiac, dealer agreed to install new "improved" electric assist steering motor for labor only of $225. Nobody can tell me this is NOT a safety ptoblem. Everyone with this problem needs to contact National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) to report this OBVIOUS safety issue. A recall will not happen until enough complaints are filed with NHTSA, not with GM. GM does not issue a recall, NHTSA does only when enough complaints are filed, or enough wrecks occur.

#7 ·
I know this post is old; however, I came upon this post looking for a answer to this question. So I thought I'd post my findings. My 2007 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L V6 started making noises when I would make turns. A day later the noise got louder and I could hear it just by accelerating. It sounded like I just need to added power steering fluid. I started researching online to find the exact location of the reservoir but everyone is saying that there is no reservoir for power steering fluid when in fact there is one in V6 engines as Maykevin5 posted. V4 engines do not have a reservoir.

#24 ·
I know this post is old; however, I came upon this post looking for a answer to this question. So I thought I'd post my findings. My 2007 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L V6 started making noises when I would make turns. A day later the noise got louder and I could hear it just by accelerating. It sounded like I just need to added power steering fluid. I started researching online to find the exact location of the reservoir but everyone is saying that there is no reservoir for power steering fluid when in fact there is one in V6 engines as Maykevin5 posted. V4 engines do not have a reservoir.
Could you please help me I can not Ioate a reservoir

#10 ·
I believe only the GT has the hydraulic steering. Not sure what years. GM says it gives it more road feel. Mine is going in Tuesday for a new rack, its squeaking. Luckily under warranty. I had the electric steering in my Saturn Ion, GM extended the warranty to 100K miles but I had the car until 146K and never had an issue.

#12 ·
interesting thread. i was under the impression that all 4cyclinders had electronic powers steering (no reservoir) and all v6s had the traditional hydraulic powers steering. I have the electronic in my Malibu and have had no problems (67K) but was so happy my 2010 G6 GT has the hydraulic system. so much nicer IMHO... and they are right you get better feedback of the road with hydraulic system. I believe this is why Dodge will not give up the hydraulic system in my charger.

#17 ·
Propwash,

Here is some additional information regarding the power steering in different G6 vehicles and years:

2009 G6 4-cyl & 6-cyl
variable assist electric power steering on 4-cyl.; hydraulic power steering on 6-cyl.

2009 G6 GT
hydraulic power steering

2009 G6 GXP
hydraulic power steering (GXP coupe, sedan and GT convertible)

2008 G6 4-cyl. & 6-cyl.
variable assist electric power steering on 4-cyl.; hydraulic power steering on 6-cyl.

2008 G6 GT
hydraulic power steering

2008 GXP
hydraulic power steering (GXP coupe and GT convertible)

2007 G6 4-cyl. & 6-cyl.

2007 G6 GT
hydraulic power steering

2007 GTP
hydraulic power steering (GTP coupe and all convertible models)

I hope this information is useful. If anyone has additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

#19 ·
2007 G6 4 cylinder loss of power steering

HI,

So I just bought a G6 and was told the power steering has cut out twice on previous owner. I did some research and found there was a recall, however I should have searched more because I found out my car is out of this "extended warranty" it only covers up to 150,000 miles (I'm at 167,000). Dealership wont cover me.

My question is: Does anyone know the cause of this loss of power steering? I would like to fix it so that I do not run into this problem. What components would need to be replaced?

My car is a 2007 G6 4 cylinder with 167,000 miles

#20 · (Edited)
HI,

So I just bought a G6 and was told the power steering has cut out twice on previous owner. I did some research and found there was a recall, however I should have searched more because I found out my car is out of this "extended warranty" it only covers up to 150,000 miles (I'm at 167,000). Dealership wont cover me.

My question is: Does anyone know the cause of this loss of power steering? I would like to fix it so that I do not run into this problem. What components would need to be replaced?

My car is a 2007 G6 4 cylinder with 167,000 miles
You need to verify which steering you have - hydraulic or electric ? According to a post earlier in the thread, while 2005-2006's had electrics, they went back to hydro on the 07's. My 07 G6 had hydraulic.

If it's electric, it will likely be an electrical connection issue somewhere in the rack. I doubt it's serviceable, so you're looking at a replacement rack most likely. We spent around 800 bucks on one for my son-inlaw's 2012 Fusion a while back. Rebuilt electric racks are kinda pricey, but will eventually get less expensive as they become more common.

If it's hydraulic, I'm guessing seals. I understand these can be replaced, and are usually the main ingredients in rebuilding a rack. If a seal is leaking, the pressure on either side of the piston can equalize meaning that the pump is doing no work and the driver is doing all of it without assistance - hence the steering cutting "out twice on previous owner". It's possible for a DIYer to rebuild a hydraulic rack, but I've always opted to swap them out with store-bought units.

I never had to replace one on 07 G6. But I think we spent less than 300 bucks on a rebuilt rack for one of my 200x Impalas. We had to drop the subframe for that one. Not sure if it's necessary on the G6. It was a bear replacing the high pressure line on the G6. I don't recall having to drop the subframe for that.

Also, (if yours is hydraulic) have you been checking your power steering fluid level? A leaking seal may be pulling that down.

HTH.

Doug

#23 ·
Okay not a big G6 guru. But I did search I just want to clarify what I think I read.

Power steering: our cars are electric asist and not pump.

my power steering light came on. the radio area and the service light came on in the guage area. So I went and purchased power steering fluid. I guess I should take it back becuawe I looked for a resovoir and didn't find one.

So is this a huge problem where I need to take it to GM right away becuase that is going to cost a arm and maybe leg. Please help me out here. This is my daily.
There is a few recalls for pontiac g6 that have to do with steering see if yours is covered

#27 ·
Please report all power steering failures to NHTSA. Four cylinder 06 G6 has electric power assist motor, no hydraulic reservoir anywhere to fill. My power steering assist motor failed intermittantly and without warning repeatedly with 16,000 miles (Yes 16,000 NOT 116,000). Original estimate $825. After one week of getting nowhere with GM/Pontiac, dealer agreed to install new "improved" electric assist steering motor for labor only of $225. Nobody can tell me this is NOT a safety ptoblem. Everyone with this problem needs to contact National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) to report this OBVIOUS safety issue. A recall will not happen until enough complaints are filed with NHTSA, not with GM. GM does not issue a recall, NHTSA does only when enough complaints are filed, or enough wrecks occur.
Same I contacted GM because I read there was some recalled but allegedly with my Vin number was not. I have a 2007 pontaic G6 sedan 2.4 -4 cylinder. On my radio it will frequently pop up power steering but not feeling it yet in steering wheel. I have read where a lot of people are having Same issue.