Pontiac G6 Forum banner

service air bag light?

153K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My wife called me and said this light was illuminated on the dash. I have never heard of a service airbag light before. I really wouldn't know where to begin with this one. Has anyone had any experience or issues involving this before?

I replaced the battery on Tuesday and have had stupid issues with the car since then. I had to take a part of the intake off due to the battery, so of course, the engine light came on for p0171 and p0174 and now this with the airbag light. :confused:

#3 ·
I had a service air bag come on when I first bought it ( I think they cleaned under the hood before they sold it to me) but haven't had a problem since. It's probably no biggie unless it comes back and stays on for more than a day or two.

#6 ·
I had that issue and it was a persistant issue at that. The dealer had to zero a sensor but it coming back. They said that they would have to replace the Senor and it was going to be close to 1000 bucks. And that is if it was just one sensor....

#7 · (Edited)
The seat cushion & the sensors are an integrated unit. The whole smash gets replaced. I have seen the cushion/sensor assy for $400 online, so that dealer's price seems pretty outrageous. I believe you can replace the assy yourself but you would still have to have a dealer re-zero it after install.

Here's more than you probably care to know about the PPS:

Here are some tips on the Passenger Sensing System on these vehicles:

- Grand Prix
- LaCrosse/Allure
- Malibu
- G6

- Aura
- Vue
- Ion

How the System Works

The main function of the Passenger Sensing System (PSS) is to determine whether to turn the right front passenger airbag ON or OFF, based on the occupant's size and weight.

For additional information, a streaming video from the GM Training website is available. Click Web Video Library from the main menu, then Technical, then do a key word search on Occupant. The course, 22048.40V - Occupant Safety Systems, will be at the top of the list. You can also call 1.800.393.4831 to order a copy of this video.

Flashing Codes and Re-zeroing Process

The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information for the Passenger Sensing System (PSS) can be retrieved with the Tech 2 tool and displayed through the passenger airbag status display(fig. 26).

apr_07_techlink_fig26.jpg

This system displays only B0081 or B0092 on the Tech 2. To access detailed diagnostic codes, follow the SI instructions for flashing DTCs.

The Tech 2 command sequence takes a total of 10 seconds to transmit, during which the status display will change its illumination intensity level according to the pattern defined for that sequence.

If the PSS receives the command successfully, it will command both telltales to full illumination for 1 second, then turn them off for another second.

Then it will display the most significant digit of the DTC by commanding the OFF telltale to flash for a number of times representing the digit.

After the most significant digit has been displayed, the system will display the least significant digit by flashing the ON telltale.

For example, DTC 36 will flash the ON telltale 3 times, then the OFF telltale 6 times.

Digit

Most

Least

Code

Telltale

ON

OFF

If the DTC is active (the condition that created the fault is still present), the code will be displayed two consecutive times.

If the DTC is a history code (the fault condition is no longer present), the code will be displayed only once.

The system will display all active codes first, then the history codes.

The DTCs are defined as follows:

DTC No.

Description

Possible Cause

Re-zeroing Fault

At the time the re-zeroing attempt was made:
1. The seat was not empty
2. Other active DTCs were present in the system

Wet Fault

The seat is (or was) wet, possibly due to fluid spill

Communication Fault

1. Communication error
2. Low battery voltage
3. Wiring harness problem

Seat Heater Fault

Seat heater element broken / not grounded

System Fault

1. Sensor problem
2. Wiring harness problem
3. ECU component problem

Generally, if the PSS has history codes only and no active codes are currently set, there is no need to replace the system. The history codes still need to be cleared through the Tech 2 tool, and appropriate electrical tests and visual inspections must be conducted in order to ensure that there is no intermittent problem.

After installing a PSS service kit, the system needs to be re-zeroed using the Tech 2 tool. This will update the empty seat reference values stored in the ECU and ensure proper system performance.

TIP: As a preventive measure that enforces re-zeroing after its installation, the service kit comes with an active DTC set. If the codes are checked before the system is re-zeroed, a DTC56 will be displayed. This code will stay active until the system is re-zeroed successfully.

After the PSS recognizes the re-zeroing command, there are two scenarios:

1. If the system classifies the current seat condition as Empty, it will update the reference values and illuminate both airbag status telltales for a period of 10 sec.

2. If the system detects that the seat is not empty or a DTC condition exists, it will command both telltales to alternatively illuminate from off to full illumination in 1 second intervals for a duration of 5 seconds.

In addition, a DTC 32 will set to indicate that the re-zeroing process has failed.

IMPORTANT:

1. If the system fails to re-zero, resend the zero command and follow the instruction above at least three times.

2. During the re-zeroing process, the seat must be empty of any objects and the clearance specified in the service manual must be observed.

Wet Seat

The PSS diagnostic algorithm includes continuously monitoring for a wet seat condition.

A fluid spill on the seat, in particular if the amount is greater than 200 ml, can affect performance and the system may not be able to correctly classify the passenger. For this reason, the PSS sets a DTC34 and defaults to airbag suppress classification.

TIP: Depending on the fluid amount and its distribution after it penetrates the seat cushion, the system may also set a DTC56.

If these codes (34 and 56) are set, the seat cushion assembly must be removed and allowed to air-dry for about 48 hours. After this period the cushion has to be re-installed again and the DTCs checked.

If no active DTCs are present, the history DTCs must be cleared and the system re-zeroed. In this case, no replacement is necessary.

If there are still active codes after the seat is dry, the PSS cushion and module assembly must be replaced.

IMPORTANT: Replace the parts as a set. Cushion and module must not be separated, because they were calibrated as a pair.

#13 ·
I am having the same problem with my driver airbag light, it has been fine since I had them check it like 3 weeks ago,now it just came back on again today. Also, the passenger airbag/seatbelt light does not reigster when there is someone in the seat. Sometimes it will work for like a few seconds, then it will say "off" again. Does it mean that something is wrong with the airbag (it wont deploy) or is it just a sensor that I should not be worried about?

#14 · (Edited)
I am having the same problem with my driver airbag light, it has been fine since I had them check it like 3 weeks ago,now it just came back on again today.

So what did they do when you had it in?
The only way to know is to get the airbag codes read. Either a dealer or a shop with an air bag code reader.

Also, the passenger airbag/seatbelt light does not reigster when there is someone in the seat. Sometimes it will work for like a few seconds, then it will say "off" again. Does it mean that something is wrong with the airbag (it wont deploy) or is it just a sensor that I should not be worried about?
The passenger airbag will not deploy if the system does not register a passenger's presence. You need to get the codes read.

There is a bulletin out for the airbag system:

Bulletin No.: 08-09-41-002E

Date: December 07, 2009

Subject: Diagnostic Information for Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System, Intermittent AIR BAG Indicator/Lamp Illuminated with DTC(s) B0012, B0013, B0015, B0016, B0019, B0020, B0022, B0023, B0026, B0033, B0040, B0042 or B0044 Set (Inspect and Replace Connector Position Assurance (CPA) Retainer)

Models:
2005-2007 Buick Rainier
2006-2009 Buick Allure (Canada only), LaCrosse, Lucerne
2008-2010 Buick Enclave
2006-2010 Cadillac DTS
2007-2010 Cadillac Escalade Models
2008-2009 Cadillac SRX, XLR
2008-2010 Cadillac CTS, STS
2005-2006 Chevrolet SSR
2005-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006-2010 Chevrolet Corvette, HHR, Impala, Malibu Models (includes Malibu Classic)
2007-2009 Chevrolet Equinox
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2008-2010 Chevrolet Express
2009-2010 Chevrolet Traverse
2005-2009 GMC Envoy Models
2007-2010 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2008-2010 GMC Savana
2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit
2005-2009 Pontiac G6
2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice
2007-2009 Pontiac G5, Torrent
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X
2007-2009 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK, SKY
2008-2009 Saturn VUE
2008-2009 HUMMER H2
2007-2008 Daewoo G2X
2007-2009 Opel GT

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-09-41-002D (Section 09 - Restraints).

Condition

- Some customers may comment on an intermittent or current AIR BAG indicator or lamp being illuminated on the instrument panel cluster (IPC).
Important
This bulletin only applies to the following DTCs:

- Technicians may observe DTC(s) B0012 04, 0D, 0E; B0013 04, 0D, 0E; B0015 04, 0D, 0E; B0016 04, 0D, 0E; B0019 04, 0D, 0E; B0020 04, 0D, 0E; B0022, B0023 04, 0D, 0E; B0033 04, 0D, 0E; B0040 04, 0D, 0E; B0042 or B0044 set as Current or in History in the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM).

Cause

This condition may be caused by a loose, missing, or damaged connector position assurance (CPA) retainer at a supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) module electrical connector, or a deployment loop wiring harness electrical connector.

Correction

Caution
When performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to observe the correct procedure could cause deployment of the SIR components. Serious injury can occur. Failure to observe the correct procedure could also result in unnecessary SIR system repairs.

1. Perform the Diagnostic System Check-Vehicle.
2. Identify the DTC that is set AND review the DTC Descriptor in the corresponding diagnostic procedure. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List-Vehicle in SI.
3. Using the information from the DTC Descriptor, determine the location of the affected electrical connector. Refer to SIR Identification Views and the Master Electrical Component List in SI.
4. Turn OFF the ignition and disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SI.
5. BEFORE removing, INSPECT the CPA retainer at the electrical connector.

Note
The connector and connector position assurance (CPA) may seat independent of each other. Both the connector and CPA should seat with an audible and/or tactile click. The CPA isolates the shorting-bars within the connector allowing the deployment circuit to operate properly.

¤ If the CPA retainer is loose, damaged, or will not seat in the connector, replace it with a new one. Reinstall the CPA correctly by first pushing the connector body in completely, and then pushing the CPA retainer in completely.
¤ If the CPA retainer is not loose or damaged and is properly seated, proceed to Step 6.

6. Remove the CPA retainer and disconnect the electrical connector. Inspect the terminals for the following conditions:

- Corrosion
- Contamination
- Terminal tension.
- Damage

Important
The terminals in the SIR/SRS system are made with a special plating. This plating provides the necessary contact integrity for the sensitive, low energy circuits. Use the J-38125 SIR/SRS Terminal Repair Kit for repairing SIR/SRS terminals and connectors. DO NOT substitute any other terminals for those in the repair kit.

¤ If the terminals are damaged, corrosion is observed, or have poor tension, repair or replace as necessary. Apply dielectric grease, GM P/N 12345579 (in Canada, use P/N 10953481) on the connector pins and terminals when reassembling. Refer to SIR/SRS Wiring Repairs in SI.

Note
The connector and connector position assurance (CPA) may seat independent of each other. Both the connector and CPA should seat with an audible and/or tactile click. The CPA isolates the shorting-bars within the connector allowing the deployment circuit to operate properly.

7. Connect the electrical connector, and install the CPA retainer.
8. Enable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling in SI.
9. Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
10. Verify that the DTC does not reset by performing the Diagnostic Repair Verification in SI.

¤ If any DTC resets, then refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List-Vehicle in SI.

#15 ·
Mine comes on a lot... I found that is in the seat like stated in an above comment, for me its the drivers seat. I found that when I sort of bounce my butt in the seat to add pressure, the light turns off and will tend to stay off until I get up or move a lot like digging out my wallet. I'm sure its just from being worn down from all of the 10 hour drives I have done but nothing serious try the butt bouncing thing.. it might work :/

#17 ·
I've had this issue too. The 3.5 years i have owned the car its come on randomly about five times. It only comes on after i start it. I just turn off the car and start it back up and the airbag light goes off. Not sure why its doing that but my battery has died twice so that could be it.:confused:

#20 ·
I was getting "Service Airbag" message on my radio. The word AIRBAG absolutely freaked me out! I searched for hours online and everything I found indicated this would be an expensive fix. Here's what is was: Sliding the passenger seat back and forth over a period of time had caused the airbag sensor plug to work loose. There are two plugs under the seat, one for airbag sensor and one for seat heat. I pushed on both of them, restarted the car and the light went away. Just about every time I get in the back seat to clean the car, this happens. I don't know if I can do it or not, but I'm going to get a zip tie and see if I can use it to hold that plug into place. I'm confident that if I had gone to my local GM dealer, they would have charged me an arm and a leg to push that plug back in, and not tell me what they did to fix it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.