Pontiac G6 Forum banner

"How To" change the front brake pads/rotor.

80K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Convertme 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow G6ers
In this “HOW-TO” I’ll go through the steps I took to change the brake pads and rotors (front only) for my 2007 G6 GT (3.5L).

I use NAPA’s OE-Ceramic pads # SS-7932-X (about $55.00). Also, I had them machine the rotors instead of replace them ($18.00) mainly because replacing them wasn’t necessary.

It was a very easy task for a nice Saturday morning. The tools needed were; a hydraulic jack, two small jack stands, a 9/16” socket, a 15mm socket (with a 3/8” drive ratchet), "C" clamp and a screw driver.

(FIGURE-1)First I broke lose the lug nuts (barely) then jacked up the car. Once the G6 was being supported by the jack stands I removed the front tires, (take note, which tire belongs on which side, its important for radial tires.)(FIGURE-2).
(FIGURE-3-1)The next step is to remove the (2) two top bolts from the brake assembly then remove the two bottom bolts (FIGURE-3-2). (NOTE; leave the bolt (15mm) that fastens the brake assembly snug so you can slide the pad housing off.) Once you have the caliber off support it with a tie-wrap or piece of string so it doesn’t tangle by the fluid line. I used a small short bungee cord (FIGURE-4).Then remove the final bolt (15mm) that is left.

By now you should have the whole brake assembly on the ground and hanging up by a bungee (FIGURE-4 and FIGURE-5). Now just pop the old pads out of the housing and set them aside.

Next step, the rotor, with the brake parts cleared from the area notice that (2) two lugs have retaining clips on them (FIGURE-6). These clips must be removed before the rotor can be removed. There might be a tool for this clip but I used a screwdriver to loosen it (turning it counter clockwise) then I simply unscrewed it from the lugs. Once this clip is removed you should be able to just slide the rotor off.

Now you should have the rotor on the ground next to the brake parts. At this time you can either drive down to your local parts store and have them machine (turn)the rotors or you have a new set ready for installation.

The CALIPER piston;
Before you can insert your new brake pads you will need to retract the caliper piston. This is done by a “Caliper Tool”. I used, and many others too, a “C” clamp.
Notice in figure-8 the caliper piston, this is the position before using the “Caliber Tool”. Figure-9 is the piston after using the “Caliper Tool” (or “C” clamp).
Using the “C” clamp;
Place an old pad in the front of the caliper piston and slowly tighten the clamp down (see figure-10) till the piston reaches bottom. Be sure your piston boot does not bulge out, if so you may have air in the boot and will not be able to install the new pads without damaging the boot. (That is an easy fix but not for here.)
To install the brake assemblies first reinstall the new or machined rotor, don’t forget the retaining clips, then install the housing assembly (see figure-4). At this time you can insert the new pads into the housing (NOTE; insert the pads in the same position in which they were removed, noting the positions during removal and reuse the metal backs if they are still there.) Once the new pads are in place slide the caliper onto the housing. If the caliper section does not fit you may need to check the caliper piston and be sure it is retracted all the way. Then reverse the order of sequences for removal.

This “HOW TO” is meant to give others an idea of what to expect.
If someone else would like to add to this “HOW TO” then please do.

Before anyone chooses to criticize a “HOW TO” please write your version and post it so you can see it’s harder than it looks.
I hope I was helpful and good luck!!!!

Figure 1, 2, 3-1, 3-2 and 4.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Very useul and informative. Thank You! Will come in handy here soon. Brake upgrade in near future.

#5 ·
This is a great write up. One thing I did notice though is to make sure that before you compress the caliper piston, that you open the bleed valve on the top of the caliper itself. You can see it on the back of the caliper in figure 2 with a rubber cap on it. This will not only make it a lot easier to compress the piston, but also avoid damaging anything else in your brake system. Once you have the piston compressed, just tighten the valve back up and replace any lost fluid in the reservoir with fresh fluid. If you open this valve first, you can actually compress the piston with just your hands instead of having to use a clamp.

#8 ·
is it normal for the rear brakes to always glaze over time? i have to sand down my rotors about once every two months because its gets so bad. my calipers aren't frozen, and i dont ride my brakes. i'm guessing its because of the cheap solid rotors? i'm switching to ceramic pads when its time.

#12 · (Edited)
take the wheel off, depending on the model, or you may need a Torch socket to remove the clamp. Remove the old caliper and pads, then using the C clamp to press the cylinder, so the new brake pads fit. Then replace the caliper and then continue to the side.

For more instruction on how to replace brake pads visit the site.

#13 ·
Nice write up!

I attempted to My front rotors came in on Friday, and I picked up the pads earlier last week. I took the wheel off, not a problem. Removed the two caliper bolts, again not a problem. I then attempted to remove the two 15mm bolts and I swear they were welded on. I had the car up on the axle stands, of course, and even with the parking brake engaged I was rocking it like something fierce. I sprayed the bolts slightly to see if that would make a difference after lunch. Nope.

I got in, turned the wheel to a better angle to see if that would help. Nope. I switched to another 15mm socket with a larger & longer ratchet to see if I could budge it. Not even with pulling me off the ground, and I'm a big guy! I used a box end wrench next along with a hammer. No movement. GM definitely over tightened these bolts. I have an appointment tomorrow so I can waste $100 or so on labour. Perhaps my GT was one of those Friday cars? It would explain a lot.

Again, nice write up! I should've checked here first instead of stumbling around trying different sockets until I found the one I needed. Also, I don't mean to be critical but guys, it's a CALIPER, not a Dodge car model called the CALIBER.

#15 ·
I use stuff called breakaway the stuff is a God send..

CPT

#16 ·
I also changed my pads/rotors on all 4 wheels last week. I'll admit some of the nuts were a complete @#$^% to get off... Though I was able to get everything off with a wrench and hammer.

#17 · (Edited)
(FIGURE-3-2). (NOTE; leave the bolt (15mm) that fastens the brake assembly snug so you can slide the pad housing off.) Once you have the caliber off support it with a tie-wrap or piece of string so it doesn’t tangle by the fluid line.

Notice in figure-8 the caliper piston, this is the position before using the “Caliber Tool”. Figure-9 is the piston after using the “Caliper Tool” (or “C” clamp).

Caliber?? I must have missed it, where is it and I'll change it.

Only because you asked. The word caliber doesnt bother me, and I knew what you meant. Thank you for your time. Any chance we could get a lower control arm/balljoint write up? :D

btw, are you gee whizz from Pirate4x4?

#19 ·
Some time last year a friend and I changed the rear pads on my 2007 G6 GT. Today I'm going to do the front ones, which is why I came across this thread, just to make sure I had everything right in my head.

When we were doing the back ones we tried for like 30 minutes to get the caliper piston back into the housing and it wouldn't budge. It even slightly bent the C clamp we were using. Turns out the piston had to be screwed in instead of just shoved in. Tried opening the bleed valve and everything.

I don't know if this is a new thing or a fluke or just some freak problem with my car in particular but thought I'd put it out there, see if anyone else has heard of it.

#20 ·
Some time last year a friend and I changed the rear pads on my 2007 G6 GT. Today I'm going to do the front ones, which is why I came across this thread, just to make sure I had everything right in my head.

When we were doing the back ones we tried for like 30 minutes to get the caliper piston back into the housing and it wouldn't budge. It even slightly bent the C clamp we were using. Turns out the piston had to be screwed in instead of just shoved in. Tried opening the bleed valve and everything.

I don't know if this is a new thing or a fluke or just some freak problem with my car in particular but thought I'd put it out there, see if anyone else has heard of it.
Not new or a fluke. I didn't post a thread for the rear pads because at the time I wasn't changing the rear pads. Sorry this thread didn't help you in that way but maybe now it can help someone else. :)

#23 · (Edited)
retaining clips

Would those retaining clips be on all G6s? I have a 2006 G6 GT. I changed the front pads and rotors already. I don't remember those clips being there and I definately did not put them back on. My rotors warped after about 6 months and the car is shaking bad every time I break. Could this have anything to do with the missing retaining clips? I also put the C-clamp right down the middle of the piston. Could this cause damage?

#27 ·
Nice! Got er done!

Hey just want to say thank you for the how-to! I just changed my brake pads and rotors yesterday on my 2010 Pontiac G6, using this as a guide. I had never changed brake pads or rotors in my life, and I definitely blew the whole thing out of proportion in my head. I'm a newbie to do-it-yourself type stuff when it comes to vehicles. The hardest part was getting the 15mm bolts off of the driver side caliper. But with a breaker bar and some WD40 I eventually got them to budge (after breaking a socket in the process... the top one was on there pretty good... but still!). Essentially it saved me roughly $100-$150. So like I said, thanks! The pictures really helped a lot too. :D

#28 ·
I've changed mine a few times already on my 6 and I found it a lot easier to remove the caliper bolts with a ratchet instead of a socket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#30 ·
I've also used a crescent wrench to turn them. Just have to use the correct size and turn carefully.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#31 ·
That works too sometimes. I've busted a few knuckles that way lol.

#32 ·
#33 ·
So, clearly I was kinda sorta peeking thru this thread recently, and sure enough there was a reason. I just changed my rear brake pads and rotors last night, ahead of a road trip from Illinois to my ancestral homeland of Albany, NY which begins Thursday after work. I'll have my fiancee with me, which is one of the reasons I changed them out. The other reason was they were squeaking and squealing like a cat in heat whenever I'd decelerate or come to a stop. The pads looked like they were wearing slightly more on the inside than on the outside, but not a huge difference. Warning strips were definitely tripped, but the rotors felt like they were too groovy for my liking. I'll have to keep a closer eye on the wear pattern in the future.

Happily, the procedure was exactly as described above, and to my surprise, the pistons were quite easy to rotate back in. I didn't even take the cap off the brake reservoir. I did use the special cube tool for them, so that definitely helped.

I am questioning how much grease I should have used though. I greased the teeth of the pads that fit into the grooves of the housing, i greased the housing groove itself, i also greased the top of the caliper piston and the other side of the clamping housing, the part that presses against the pad shims. Finally, I greased the hub before reinstalling the rotor, and I used thread lube on all the bolts. Did I go overboard? Everywhere I greased I left a thin layer, but not gobs of the stuff. I used #2 Lithium grease, maroonish goop.

#35 ·
Thanks, great instructions. Before you get your butt sued off, you may wish to change or add into the instructions to drive a different vehicle from the one they are working on to the machine shop to have the rotors turned. SOME people really are that unaware. People never cease to amaze me.
I realize this post is going on 12 years old as well but,,,,,,,,,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.