Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Replacing front bumper/hood on 2006 G6 GTP sedan

16K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  mjgonegm 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was recently in a relatively minor car wreck (I rear-ended someone :() and I'm looking into trying to do the repairs myself. All of the damage is on the front bumper and hood.

At first glance, it looks like the parts needing to be replaced are the front bumper cover, the energy absorber, the hood, left/right grille. I'm very aware that I will most likely discover some other pieces that need to be replaced as well. I found the "exploded" diagram of the front end components as well as their pricing on gmpartsdirect.com.

Has anyone performed a bumper/hood swap before and how complicated of an install is this? My plan right now is to go have a few itemized quotes done at some service shops to see what parts they would replace, then purchase the parts myself, have the hood and bumper painted, then install everything on my own.

Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
Yeah I've added up the price of the parts I know for sure need to be replaced... I'm hoping I can keep it under 1 grand. Maaco quoted me 175 to paint the hood but I haven't asked about what it would cost to have the bumper cover done as well. I'm hoping I can get that done for 300. The parts (so far) are adding up to about 500.

#8 ·
Yeah I've looked at both the RAM Air hood and the AIT hood. I love how they both look and the temptation to buy/install those is crushing. But ultimately, for money reasons, I think I have to go back to the 80 dollar stock g6 hood. Going cheap is my biggest concern right now. If the cost of everything goes up over 1 grand, then I think I'm going to have the shop fix it (b/c that's my deductible.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.