Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Code p0751

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  STEFF 
#1 ·
:confused: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON AND THE CODE P0751 CAME ON WHEN I TOOK IT TO GET IT CHECKED THEY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE TRANSMISSION...I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO SOME REASEARCH ON WHAT IT IS AND HOW TO FIX IT SO WHEN I TAKE IT IN I DO NOT GET THE RUN AROUND AND GET SCREWED (BECAUSE I AM A GIRL). ANY HELP WILL BE GREAT.SN: I RECENTLY HAD WORK DONE ON THE GAS TANK DUE TO LEAKING GAS.

#3 · (Edited)
Useful info as always Luis. lol

http://www.google.com/search?q=p075...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

All shift solenoids work as a logic gate based on the signals received from the PCM. One not working could conceivably affect other shifting, etc.

P0751 does the following:

It disables shift adapts.
Commands maximum line pressure.
Inhibits 3 - 2 downshifts when speed is greater than 30 mph

Basically the 1 - 2 shift solenoid is sticking in the off position and should be replaced.

#7 ·
It's possible that some gunk in the transmission is causing something to stick, and a flush might cure it. The total cost would depend on what is causing the problem and whether there is anything else that is bad or about to go bad. I'd expect the cost to range from $150 to $800, and probably around $350 based on the little information you've given us. You should check with some independent transmission shops if you can find some in your area; they may be able to give you a better ballpark estimate but again the costs could rise quickly if there are other problems.

If you are an Auto Club member, contact them for a list of recommended service shops. It won't guarantee you the best price, but they are less likely to gouge you, especially if you tell them you found them because of the Auto Club.

~ MattInSoCal

#5 ·
According what Lampoon said:

Basically the 1 - 2 shift solenoid is sticking in the off position and should be replaced.

#8 ·
I'd try a flush first.

I asked my friend (who works for a dealership) how much a solenoid costs to replace and he said this:

solenoid lets say a high estimate of like $50 (i think its probably less but again i hate trannys so ive done very little work in them and dont know for sure) but labors gonna be the killer since they have to pull the side cover off and thats like 4 hours under warrenty probably like 6 customer pay
You can also get a quote fro the service adviser then go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.