Pontiac G6 Forum banner

horrible wheel noise!!!

71K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  AnthonyE 
#1 ·
So for the last week my car has been making a horrible noise by the front driver side. i believe its the wheel barring but not totally sure.... a person i know of had the same problem w his G6 yr 06. the barring has to be replaced and what not but afterwards his stearing became harder which i think has to do with the power stearing.

Anyways i took my car in today to have them fix it... what i want to know is if anyone else has had this problem... please let me know :(

#3 ·
if anyone else has experienced a flapping noise at the front driver side please let me know. thanks
I don't know if this is the same thing but here it goes; I did experience a flapping noise on the front drivers side. It was the splashguard under the fender. The guard was broken and as I sped up the wind caused the (broken) splashguard to flop around like a fish. The rubbing is what I heard and it sounded horrible like a bearing.

#6 ·
Front End Noises

i have had the same noise in the drivers side front end for around 4,000 miles now. I have taken it to the place I bought it 3 times now and they have replaced the intermediate steering shaft, and linkage rods. However, the rattling noise is still present. It sounds like something close to the firewall hitting something. The noise goes away when I turn the steering wheel either way, The noise is only present when driving between 5-35 mph and going over bumps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

#17 ·
sway link

i have had the same noise in the drivers side front end for around 4,000 miles now. I have taken it to the place I bought it 3 times now and they have replaced the intermediate steering shaft, and linkage rods. However, the rattling noise is still present. It sounds like something close to the firewall hitting something. The noise goes away when I turn the steering wheel either way, The noise is only present when driving between 5-35 mph and going over bumps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
This is an issue i am having with my 06 g6 gtp and i was told its a loose sway link which causes it to make a rattle knocking when going slower turning and over bumps.
I also have the whining sound which stopped when i replaced my driverside wheel bearing about 6 months ago but it just started making that noise again.

#9 ·
does it sound like it's coming more from the steering area? As in actually closer to the steering wheel than say the front end? My sister has an 07 and at some points the steering feels a little too tight (esp in comparison to mine) and then it also has this slight grinding/scratchy sound. I think you should have the dealer do an adjustment and whatnot and maybe the lube kit... they will do something, but who knows if it'll stay fixed.

#10 ·
I think I have the problem you speak of. It seems to do it when you first start driving. I hear like a clicking noise as the wheel spins on the driver side. I have no idea what could be causing it. It almost seems as if something is rubbing each time the wheel rotates.

#11 ·
I have the same problem as well....it was a rainy day and i got cut off on a windy downhill street. I hit my brakes and started to fishtail, the road curves so i slammed into the curb at about 35 mph and damaged a rim, replaced the steering knuckle and control arm but there is still a rubbing noise. Any help would be great.

#12 ·
I got a 06 G6 and while I was deployed my wife had to replace the inner and outer Tie Rods. That got rid of the clunking noise when ever turnign the wheel. The Bushing was wore out and the tie rods were rusted. But now we got a new Issue. A "Humming" noise from the left front. The shop says Wheel bearing. Anyone also heard the Humming noise. ANy help would be nice. Thanks

#13 · (Edited)
A wheel bearing can usually be de bugged when the wheel is turned from side to side...
On BMWs that is one way to determine if it is and from which side.
The noise isn't heard one way, ok, but heard the other way, found! (the side that more force is applied).
Try that.

#14 ·
Wheel Noise

I took the tire off and found that my half shaft is the culprit for this noise. It sounds almost like something rubbing the tire but as a previous thread stated it was more towards the fire wall. It is in fact my half shaft. I am amazed that I am having to replace a half shaft at 61,000 miles. Yet another porrly built GM car. I have had NOTHING but trouble since day 1 with this car. 2006 G6GT Coupe -

#15 ·
Noise in Front Wheel Area Sounds Like Bearing

I believe I had the same noise at the right wheel area. I have a 2005 V6 G6. I only heard the noise when going 45 mph or faster. My thought was a wheel bearing. It lasted for about a month and now it has stopped. Last week I took my car to Firestone where I had new tires put on as I thought the right front wheel was out of balance due to vibration at 60+ mph. They told me the tires were fine but showed me where my rack & pinon is going out which they felt would also cause the popping noise when turning. I'm not so sure about that but we'll see. I have had the transmission replaced at 80k the power steering column mechanism was replaced under the extended recall. Fortunately I purchased an excellent after-market warranty and they paid for the transmission and will be paying for the rack and pinon and if I am correct in what I think they will find, also the struts as I believe the strut bearings are bad as well. I am also going to be filing my complaint with the BBB as instructed by another person here. I have already filed my complaint with the Government agency.
Good Luck

#16 ·
Man thats allot of BS going wrong for you all. I had a problem with power steering noise/whine but lucas fluid took care of it.

Mind the strut bearing and mount, apparently they go bad frequently in these cars. Also there is a TSB on the steering shaft needing lubed due to clunking noise.

#18 ·
The worse scraping and grinding noise coming from front drivers side... and the sound increases as i speed up .....and i checked the breaks and bearing and they good so idk what to do...this sucks

#19 · (Edited)
My '09 makes similar noise. I took it in and they took the wheel cover off and said "Now it's' quiet. It's the wheel cover, there's nothing we can do".

edit: thanks to some of the posts here, I called another GM delaership and discussed the issue and mentioned the hub assemblies; it's going in tomorrow to have them all replaced.

#20 ·
what's the deal with the hub assemblies ? i have a 2007 G6 base model with a horrible continual droning noise. general concensus is that it's the wheel bearings. i got a quote for the part from Autozone $130 - it comes as the whole unit. any idea how much places charge for replacing wheel bearings ? i called a couple of places who haven't a clue until they look at the car. to my mind it shouldn't take much to take off the wheel, brakes and wheel bearing unit and pop a new one on. so i am expecting maybe $250 including the parts. anyone else have experience of this ?

#23 ·
06, g6, v6, humming sound in right front wheel area. Sounds exactly like wheel bearing noise. Increase in noise level, when wheel is turned to the left. Noise goes away, when turned to right. I have replaced the wheel hub assembly, three times. Believing I had purchased a bad part. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with the wheel hub. All brake rotors, pads, calipers, are new. New struts and shocks.

#24 ·
Did you replace both sides? I had a similar issue - 06 G6 v6, but my noise was happening when I turned right. Brand new rotors, pads. I replaced the left one wheel hub assembly, but the noise was just as loud after... so I replaced the right one and voila. Rides like a dream now.

I thought it was interesting that the right assembly was the bad one... - I hadn't changed an assembly before but from everything I read it's typically the opposite side of where you turn that's the bad assembly, but that wasn't true for me. Good experience though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.