Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Help with Camshaft Position Sensors

102K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  iamelectromechtechni 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2007 G6 2.4L. Lately my car has been bogging down with a loss of power, and doesn't seem to shift smoothly. My friend used his scan tool and said the car was throwing a code for a cam sensor. I then find out that the car actually has TWO camshaft position sensors, yet I can only locate the one right on top of the engine under the plastic cover. The parts store I called is telling me there are two on this car, yet can't tell me where they are located. Does anyone know if there are actually two, and if so, where the other is located?? I great appreciate any responses. Thanks!

#4 ·
The intake (INT) and exhaust (EXH) sensors are both located side-by-side on the top passenger side of the engine, under the plastic cover.

Replacing the intake sensor eliminated the hard shifting on our 2.4L 2006 G6. Still have a lack of power, though. Engine light is back on, so I need to check codes again to determine next step. Perhaps the exhaust sensor is faulty, as well.

Replacing one of these sensors is a 5 minute job.

#10 ·
It's been awhile, but we had to replace several things to get the car going back to normal again. We replaced both cam sensors, and that didn't fix it! We then took it to the dealer and found out that both the injectors and the catalytic converter were bad. The mechanic told me it was common on these that the injectors clog up and go bad and then make the catalytic converter go bad as well. The injectors were no longer under warranty, but the catalytic converter was. The dealer said they would do it all for free though since it was a known issue with GM. They also replaced my intermediate steering shaft for the SECOND time even though the warranty was up on it. I've had SO many issues with this car before 50,000 miles it isn't even funny!

#11 ·
The power train warranty from 2007-2009 include this. 5 year 100K

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

Not included for 2010, your dealer is BSing you.

#12 ·
It says right in my owner's manual that the power train warranty is only 5 year, 60,000 miles...and that's what two dealers have told me. Though, I didn't know that the injectors were covered under power train...so apparently they were still covered and they were BSing me...because the car only had like 49,000 when we had this done.

Just out of curiosity where did you find this 100,000 mile warranty info? Only doubting it because, like I said, my manual clearly only says 60,000 for power train.

#17 ·
Hey i was wondering did you guys get check engine lights with you camshaft position sensor? Mine isnt on but when i had a problem with a solinoid the dealer said they found a code but i never seen a the check engine light on. I worry that mines is bad in my 06 2.4 because of bad gas mileage and late shifting at times? Im changing my spark plugs later today to try and help my gas mileage and possible loss of power.

#19 ·
This is not advice to the problem, but I also have a 2007 G6 2.4L engine & my engine light is coming on & going off. When the engine light is on the driver's side headlamp goes out. I replaced the lamp because I thought it was blown, a few days later it went out again & I noticed the engine light was on. When the engine light goes off the headlamp comes back on. Also I'm getting a rough bumping shift between gears. I know very little about auto mechanics, but could this be a cam sensor problem?

#26 ·
There seems to be some confusion here. As boomer points out above, the camshaft position sensors (2.4) are located in the head casting on the transmission end of the engine. The two camshaft actuator solenoids are located in the valve cover (cam cover) valley ( where the spark plug coil packs are located ) on the drive belt end of the engine.

#30 ·
Why are you quoting misinformation ? ZLNDRVR is calling the Cam Solenoids , Cam Sensors. The Cam Sensors are located on the DRIVER's side of the engine as Boomer's post #25 shows. It's not a five minute job because you must dig down to them thru wiring, hoses, etc. Exactly what did the dealer relearn ? The sensors or the solenoid ? I have no knowledge of what needs to be addressed by dealership techs.

#31 ·
The cam sensor has to be relearned when replaced$230 job at the dealership from what I’ve understand that’s not the only thing on this car that would need relearned once replaced, wish I knew where the wiring issue was with those cam sensors. With the headlight issue got rid of the harness and splitted the wires together fixed that issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.