Knocking sound coming from back of car - Page 2 - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #16
FreakaLeak69
2006 G6 GTP

Gallery: 0
FreakaLeak69 is on a distinguished road
Ok. I had this prob on my GTP. Have someone rock the car side to side. Crawl underneath the back and put ur hand on the sway bar(away from any pinch spots). Can u feel the vibration of the clunk noise when u touch the sway bar? If u can, chances are that u have worn out sway bar bushings. Just follow the bar to each side to where it appears to have a bracket clamp with 2 bolts holding it. Your sway bar bushings should be in between the sway bar and the bracket clamp on each side directly under the trunk/seat area(underneath, bolted to the rear subframe). Just ask if u have questions.
FreakaLeak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Diavolo

Diavolo is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry for being so clueless but where is the sway bar in the back?? What am I looking for?? Would you happen to have a picture that points out where I should be looking??
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #18
dub150

dub150 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem,dealership told me it was the shocks. I replaced a number of things on the car, struts, shocks, brakes on all four corners, front sway bar links, inner outter tie rods, and front sway bar bushings, took car for test drive, front was nice and tight/solid (big improvement) still clunking in the rear though. took it in for the alignment, no go, need front ball joint, but they did notice the rear sway bar bushing is totally worn along with the link. this is very common cause of clunking noises from the rear on g6's
dub150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #19
dub150

So ordered 2 front control arms/ball joints from rock auto $109.99 ea. and ordered the swaybar kit from gm parts direct $70.78 hopin to put in next weekend (workin this weekend to pay for parts), will post results as soon as it's done
Old 04-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
USMC0311

USMC0311 is on a distinguished road
Double check if the spare tire in the trunk isn't loose, i had a prob like that before and it was my spare tire wasn't bolted tight to the chassis how some cars have it and that's what was making the knocking/clunk noise.
USMC0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #21
dub150

had a clunking about a year ago shortly after having a flat and buying 4 new tires, turned out to be the tire shop put the spare in wrong. this time when a similar noise came around, the first thing i did was take the spare out and took it for a ride, still had clunk, figured I would at least get it aligned since I just installed struts and the tie rods, alignment guy also noticed a bad front ball joint (i thought it might be questionable but didn't want to fork out the dough when doing the tie rods and struts) and the sway bar bushing in rear was bad and had slop along with the link being worn, gm parts direct has the whole kit and kaboodle for $70.78, everywhere else i've looked just have the link for 50-60 and the bushing for around 10,I like to go oem when i can unless it's a cheaper and proven upgrade (made it 140,000 on oem). anyone know of a cheaper proven upgrade?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
oakley30

oakley30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
I'm sorry for being so clueless but where is the sway bar in the back?? What am I looking for?? Would you happen to have a picture that points out where I should be looking??
Here ya go man. I took a video for you.

oakley30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
Diavolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley30 View Post
Here ya go man. I took a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0mp...1&feature=plcp
Wow thank you so much man, I really appreciate your time and effort!!!! Thanks!!!

Now i should just put my hand on it and shake it to see if its loose right?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #24
oakley30

oakley30 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
Wow thank you so much man, I really appreciate your time and effort!!!! Thanks!!!

Now i should just put my hand on it and shake it to see if its loose right?
Well it probably won't be that loose. Check along that bar for worn or cracked bushings. You'll probably need a pry bar to move the bar a little to see if there is play. This maybe a stupid question but since nobody can find anything clunking in the back....did you look where the spare tire goes? Is there something in there clunking around?
oakley30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #25
Diavolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley30 View Post
Well it probably won't be that loose. Check along that bar for worn or cracked bushings. You'll probably need a pry bar to move the bar a little to see if there is play. This maybe a stupid question but since nobody can find anything clunking in the back....did you look where the spare tire goes? Is there something in there clunking around?
Ya I did check the area where the spare tire is. Everything is screwed tightly!!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #26
theshibbykumquat

theshibbykumquat is on a distinguished road
I had an extremely similar issue on mine, it happened to be the that the jack and wrench for the spare were not put in right and clunking around in the back. I know you said you checked already but you may want to take the spare and tools out of the trunk and drive around and see if the sound is gone after that.
theshibbykumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #27
dub150

i can see the gap between my sway bar and bushing, the link is also a bit spungie, found everything in a sway bar kit, don't need the sway bar but cheaper than buying the bushings and a link. http://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/2...iagram=FQ05490
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #28
AWick20

AWick20 is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem, it sounds REALLY bad. Makes the car sound so unstable. I had a front clunk, but turned out it went away when I installed my eibachs and new struts/mounts. As for the back, my mechanic told me it was the bushing inside the shock where it mounts, so I went ahead and replaced the shocks; still there. Ill have to check out the rear sway, but I'm in the same boat you are! It sucks!s
AWick20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #29
USMC0311

USMC0311 is on a distinguished road
It has to be something in the suspension. Bushings, links, sway bar, maybe your fuel tank is lose, try and check for that. Are your tires aligned? maybe your need an alignment in general. Could be a couple of things. My mothers acura tl had a rear knocking sound and it was coming from the tire, we didn't know til one day it just exploded on the e-way and after replacing it and getting the wheel aligned, the knocking sounds went away.
USMC0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #30
Diavolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC0311 View Post
It has to be something in the suspension. Bushings, links, sway bar, maybe your fuel tank is lose, try and check for that. Are your tires aligned? maybe your need an alignment in general. Could be a couple of things. My mothers acura tl had a rear knocking sound and it was coming from the tire, we didn't know til one day it just exploded on the e-way and after replacing it and getting the wheel aligned, the knocking sounds went away.
Just came back from my mechanic and he said its my rear sway bar bushings that need to be replaced!!!!

Luckily for me its only 9$ per bushing lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions