Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Camshaft Actuator/Sensor Issue

38K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 ·
I've got a friend with a 2007 G6 2.4L that I am trying to help diagnose. He is getting a check engine light so I had him scan for codes. They pulled P0011, P0013, and P0014. He is getting the typical lack of power and occasional rough shifting that seem to go along with these codes.

Oil level was fine and he was using 5W-30. I pulled the intake and exhaust camshaft actuators. Both looked relatively clean with all screens present. The exhaust had a couple of flecks of debris, but nothing that looking like it would restrict oil flow. O-rings on both actuators appeared to be sealing and both electrical connectors were dry.

Here is the oddity. I checked for continuity across the pins on both actuators. From my research I should be seeing 8-12 ohms of resistance. On both actuators I got infinite resistance which seemed odd. Has anyone else seen that?

I didn't have time to check the camshaft position sensors for functionality, but I am assuming the three pinouts are the typical voltage in, ground, and signal out for a hall effect sensor correct?

I told him to have the oil changed (he was about due) and see if that helps. From reading it sounds like it is likely the camshaft actuators and probably not the camshaft sensors, but I hate to just start throwing parts at the thing. Does anybody have any insight?

I also saw a post about loose camshafts possibly causing this issue as well. Not exactly sure what that was referring to (camshaft bearings, timing gears or what).

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It just seemed weird to me that both would fail in a similar fashion at the same time. I saw on another post where someone else had tested an actuator and one was in the 8-12 ohm range and the other was in the 40-60 ohm range. I guess I was expecting to see something similar.

I'll have him pick up some new actuators. From looking online last night it appeared to be a dealer only part?

#4 · (Edited)
A reading of infinity means the solenoid coil is completely severed. The resistance will generally increase & then go infinite when it breaks clean. I can't explain why both would fail at the same time if that it what occurred.

You can buy them online but they go by several diff names which makes the cheese more binding (as a friend of mine always likes to say). I'd be surprised if Autozone does not have them. I'm pretty sure the aftermarket parts makers have come out with their own versions by now.

GM part #s in this thread:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10523&highlight=p0014

#5 ·
No luck at any of the parts stores for the actuators, but everyone seems to have the sensors. I did find the actuators at gmpartsdirect.com for $29 a piece so I'll have him pick them up from them. Thanks for your help.

#6 ·
Before you order them verify those part numbers with them because after checking that web site I'm having my doubts about them. Try to get a description or better yet a picture first. The part names & diagrams there are a bit funky to put it mildly. As electrical parts, you usually can't return them. Better to verify.

#7 ·
Sound advice indeed. I was a little thrown off by their category of "Engine Camshaft Sprocket" but I chalked that up to some untrained idiot entering information on their system. Then below it says "Valve" for description and the list price seems to be close to what everyone else is charging. No matter I'll sort it out with them and make sure it is what I need. Thanks.

#8 · (Edited)
If you are able to verify the GM part numbers please come back & let us know.

I looked at the Autozone web site & they did not appear to sell them for the '07 2.4L. I can't explain that.

BTW, AZ has an online "repair manual" for the 07 that's worth checking out if you haven't. Enter your car info into your garage to get access.

#9 ·
I sent an e-mail to GM Parts Direct inquiring about the part numbers and this is what they sent back:

I have entered your supplied information into our licensed GM parts catalog and below are the part numbers requested and are verified as being correct per the VIN supplied.
12628347 Camshaft Position Actuator Intake Solenoid Valve
12628348 Camshaft Position Actuator Exhaust Solenoid Valve

So they look legit. They seemed to be selling them for the lowest price around that I could find. And at $29 I think even if AZ sold a generic aftermarket replacement I'd still probably buy the GM part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.