Pontiac G6 Forum banner

can I replace my 06 factory stereo for an 08 factory stereo?

9K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Lampoon 
#1 ·
long story short, I can't put an aux input in my 06 G6 stereo, no band or p-type button, and I don't want to use an FM modulator...can I buy a factory stereo off like ebay from an 08 or 07 G6 and use it in my car? And even if the plug fits, is the software used on the newer models possibly different? the dealership was clueless. any help would be great!

#2 ·
An 08 radio with the Aux will work just fine in your car.
It fits perfectly. You will need the dealership to marry it to your car
via their Tech2 (laptop). It takes only a few minutes to do.

I know this for a fact becuase I did it. I have an 08 Monsoon radio in my 2005 G6 GT.

2007 didnt have the aux so look for an 08. I have pix if you need them.
Robert

#4 ·
Keep in mind I ordered mine for $216...It was $256 brand new shipped.
Course I got the single disk cause I didnt want the same issues i had with the 6 cd changer. But that just gives you an idea what they are new.

Part number 15848799
RADIO
$216.70

SUBTOTAL:
$216.70

PROCESSING & HANDLING TOTAL:
$47.67

TAXES:
$0.00

ORDER TOTAL:
$ 264.37

#7 ·
so I got the stereo but the dealer says it's gonna cost 100 bucks just to install it. I know it has be to "programmed", or "unlocked" for a lack of a better term, but does the dealer have to do this? Can I simply take it to any car audio place and have them get it all ready to go? I appreciate any help! Thanks!

#10 · (Edited)
It still needs to be married to your car via a Tech2 at a dealer but you can physically install the radio yourself. clicky here

Also shop dealerships cause they all charge differently for this. It might ork without it. Mine did.
But it wouldnt show monsoon at startup so I got worried and had it done. Now it does.

#17 ·
It took me <25 minutes, from beginning to having the radio in my hands.
If you have any mechanical ability (can you brush your teeth without needing stitches?) you can do it.
IMO, the push-in clips that hold the hood release cable and a wiring harness were the only hassle.

I already have an XM INNO, I want to find the XM antenna lead and also wire in an Aux. jack for the INNO.

Dave

#19 ·
Hey Lampoon....
trying to avoid messaging you so that the info can be for all to read... haha!
But I am going to have an 08 radio installed in my 06 soon, and I was wanting to be super clear on some things bc I tend to run into many dumbA's, jerks, all of the above when it comes to dealing with my baby girl.

Am I correct in stating that when they go to activate the radio and the Tech 2 stuff has certain questions....
when it asks for the year, they are to input the year of the radio, not the car? right? Is there anything else I should know?
It's just that everyone is so quick to say, "we can't do that" "you can't do that" and other shite, so I want to be on top of my game and not having them waste my time/money (don't want them dragging it out!). And let's just state the obvious--they never want to believe a young girl knows what she's talking about bc they're MEN, and MEN know more about CARS all the time! ha!

#21 ·
They go here on the Tech2.
I am not a Tech so I cant give you the play by play but its:
Radio Setup
To setup a new radio for the vehicle, complete the Module Replacement/Setup procedure under the Radio menu of the scan tool.
Cycle ignition when complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.