Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Where do you run your power wire.

28K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Kyle42069 
#1 ·
Was wondering how anyone has ran their power wire for an amp. Really don't want to run it under the can and drilling a hole in the firewall is also not a best option but will do if there is no other way to do it. Also where have you mounted the amp? thx to all

#2 ·
The only way how I would do it is going through the fire wall, its easy, and doesnt do any damage

#4 ·
what i did was run it through the driverside fender, if you take of the 3 botls on top and one in the doorjam you can slip it through and run it past your seats, i can only see the wire when the door is open.

#5 ·
I put it thru my firewall safely without any leaks or anything. Just cut a hole big enough for your wire.

#7 ·
There is a grommet already through the firewall, but it is difficult to reach as it is behind the dash on the drivers side and you can barely reach it with your hand, and it is behind the master cylinder on the other side, so reaching it was a problem for me (plus I am too lazy.) So I found a spot on the firewall just below the steering column, if you feel around you feel a hole with flaps on it (rubbery material) that is where I drilled a hole through the firewall than sealed it up after running the wire through.

#9 ·
I ran 0Gauge through my firewall. I used a step drill and if your car is an automatic there is a perfect place where the clutch would go if it were a manual. Drill there. RUn your wire. DO NOT DO NOT run it through the door jam, that wire can get pinched and will cause a fire. I do isntalls for a living and see cars all the time coming with wires ran and we cannot work on their cars until we charge them to fix it. It is a fire hazard and most of all, Do you want 12v grounding out to the body of your car which is used as a ground for your alternator and starter, etc etc. The wire gets one sparks, POOF! Bye bye half of engine and data bus system, and fried computer. You choose.

Ill post pics here soon where mine is! Good luck!

2005 White G6 GT Monsoon Leather Sunroof Heated Seats
5% Tint all around Chrome Grilles Tinted Tailights Tinted Headlights 21LED Reverse Light Kicker 1500.1 2Kicker 12" L7's 0gauge Kicker Multi Amp Kit 40 Farad Tsunami Capacitor Kenwood Excelon KDC-X9533U 300AmpAnl Fuse Custom Box Python 990 Alarm with window mods glass break sensor

#10 ·
I ran mine up behind the driver's side quarter panel, just below the windsheild, where the hinge for the hood is. From there it came out through the doorframe of the driver's door. There's a little rubber plug on the driver's side window pillar (you'll see what I mean if you open your driver's door and look just above where the top of the dash is on the doorframe) I popped that outand popped the sidecover off of the dash (not the top or bottom, the little on that you can only see when the door is open) (don't worry, there's no screws, it's held in with clips(I used a flathead screwdriver to pop it off). From there I fed the wire through the hole where the rubber plug was, into the area I uncovered by pulling off the sidecover of the dash, then ran the cable down the side of the driver's footwell, and underneath the plastic runners along the inside of the car and into the trunk. If you're using a fairly heavy gauge cable, you might need to bore out the hole that you pull the rubber plug out of, but aside from that, no drilling required.

I'll try to get some pictures today when I actually get my lazy ass out of bed.
Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.