Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2007 G6 GT with Monsoon Factory Stereo

18K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  StereoKing 
#1 ·
Alright guys, I've done a ton of googling in the past day or so, and most of the answers I wanted I ended up finding here, so I decided to sign up. I just purchased this vehicle a couple of days ago and I'm looking at different possibilities for stereo upgrades.

My question is, what exactly is wired into the stereo in my 2007 G6 GT with Monsoon? I've read some conflicting information and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I decide which direction I want to go.

I know that the Driver Information Center (DIC) will be lost unless I buy an after-market unit that keeps the functionality. The only one I've seen available is the Metra 99-303. Will this allow me to keep the audible warnings? I've read two different answers to this question and wanted to clarify.

I have remote start installed on my vehicle, will that be affected by removing the factory stereo? Will the Metra product above allow me to keep that functionality?

What about the alarm?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I googled pretty much all day yesterday and with the conflicting information, I feel I have some clue as to what's going on, but still pretty confused about it overall. Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
My question is, what exactly is wired into the stereo in my 2007 G6 GT with Monsoon? I've read some conflicting information and I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I decide which direction I want to go.
Stereo that outputs only low-level signals
Amplifier in the trunk
DIC
Warning chimes
Pass-through for the GMLAN interface. Without this the security system won't get its required data and the car won't start.
OnStar (if equipped).

[quoteJI know that the Driver Information Center (DIC) will be lost unless I buy an after-market unit that keeps the functionality. The only one I've seen available is the Metra 99-303. Will this allow me to keep the audible warnings? I've read two different answers to this question and wanted to clarify.[/quote]

The other alternative to the Metra adapter is one from Scosche. The adapter only provides the DIC function. You need a separate device for the warning chimes, and this device does not play them through the stereo but through its own speaker.

I have remote start installed on my vehicle, will that be affected by removing the factory stereo? Will the Metra product above allow me to keep that functionality?
No affect as long as the GMLAN connection passes through the new wiring harness.

What about the alarm?
No affect.

With Monsoon, the stereo outputs low-level signals which are fed to the amplifier in the trunk. If you replace the head unit you will need to bypass the amplifier.

~ MattInSoCal

#4 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

So, if I was going to add this head unit, if I wanted to keep the warning chimes, DIC, & Steering Wheel controls, I'd also have to purchase these items:

Metra 99-303 (Note: I couldn't find the Scosche equivalent on their site when putting in my car info.)
PAC SWI-PS

What about for the warning chimes? I swear I came across one yesterday when I was looking, but I can't seem to find it now. Is it just this harness?

Also, is there anything that would function in the car with a factory unit that wouldn't if I went aftermarket? Man, I'm getting a massive headache from all of this. Why do they have to wire all the extra crap into the factory radio? I'm shooting texts back and forth with the guy who sold me the car, and he said the remote start and warning lights would be affected (according to the techs at the dealership, not him).

I really don't think I'm going to have the cash to pull this off. I can get the ISGM573 (or a similar part) installed at a local car audio shop for $180. I'm thinking of just doing that, since it's going to be much easier on the pocketbook and I've already stretched myself kind of thin by buying the car to begin with.

Looking at the Crutchfield costs, before I factor in the time it would take me to install of it, I'm looking at around $500. Which is better than I thought it would be, since Crutchfield has half price on all OEM Adapters, but still a bit steep for my budget.

#5 ·
Hi

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

So, if I was going to add this head unit, if I wanted to keep the warning chimes, DIC, & Steering Wheel controls, I'd also have to purchase these items:

Metra 99-303 (Note: I couldn't find the Scosche equivalent on their site when putting in my car info.)
PAC SWI-PS

What about for the warning chimes? I swear I came across one yesterday when I was looking, but I can't seem to find it now. Is it just this harness?

Iv been searching about this ofr the past few days and the wireharness that some people told me was like around 250$ so i was wondering that the wire harness that u gave the link to did it work perfectly fine with your monsoon system and did it have an affect on the amp?

#8 ·
This is what I have. Then check out my pictures because I relocated the ICU into my center console. I dremeled out the entire inside of the console and custom fitted the buttons. Good luck.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Attachments

#9 ·
All you need bro is the right harness. There's a harness that you can get from PAC that will retain the use of the monsoon system without bypassing anything or cutting wires and allow you to instal an aftermarket HU with ease. The one I used retained the factory chimes with its own module, however after installing I turned it off because I realized how annoying they were haha. It also retained the use of onstar. You will loose your steering wheel controls and DIC. But there are many HUs ive come across (from pioneer & alpine) that have an accessory you can purchase that you can program to get them back. As for the DIC not sure.. But I don't have mine and I don't miss it, it really doesn't display anything important. The only downside to using the same or similar harness I used is their a bit pricey, mine cost 100$ and I got it at a discount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.