Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Hard Starting G6

48K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 ·
Ok, My fiancee claims that every so often when she tries starting her car it will take a long time. She will turn it over for a full 5 seconds, but it never fires. Usually if she stops and waits it will eventually start up, but when it does it sputters for the first little bit. Last night she said it took like 2 or 3 minutes of turning over and waiting and when it did start it sputtered. She is getting 24 mpg and it runs great after it starts and the sputtering is done.

Here is some helpful information:
2006 G6
3.5 V6
40,000 miles.
No accidents

Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Could be either gas, fuel injector's clogged, or the car BCM needs reprogrammed. Take your pick, but it's a known issue with 05/06s.

#3 ·
I don't see how a car with 40,000 miles would have a clogged injectors or a fuel pump issue... If this were the case the car would stumble all the time wouldn't it? BCM? What is the BCM I am only familiar with and ECU. How could this BCM loose its "tune" it started fine this whole time.

#4 ·
BCM has to do with the battery I believe. I don't remember what it exactely stands for. Some people found success with the overcranking when the dealer "reflashed" the BCM. There's not one good solution to the problem unfortunately.

#6 ·
Could be a bad tank of gas.

#8 ·
hypothesis

My 2005 G6 has the exact issues as the first post.
It has happened (hard starting sputtering) when I have left a DC plug in the cigarette lighter, phone or radar detector etc. 3 times now. & not when there is nothing in the socket.
So perhaps the BCM somehow is off if there is extra resistance in a circuit? & causes a starting issue.
It is perhaps coincidence and I am planning to have an appointment at a GM dealer service center in a couple of days. Im just afraid it will be "the car has no codes story"
so what do you think?

#9 ·
Hi. My car has the same problem as well. The car starts fine if it's been left for awhile, but sometimes if you turn the car off and try to start it again within a few minutes the car just turns over and won't start, unless you push the gas pedal down. Which leads me to think the car floods itself and i know it's weird for a fuel injected car to get flooded. After the car is running it works fine with pretty good gas millage. Just wondering if anyone knows whats wrong or if your having the same problem?

2005 G6
3500 V6

#10 ·
I backed out of my planned visit to the dealership. Just because it hasnt happened since. I think you may be on to something with the engine being flooded. The service tech that I spoke with told me the remote starter option on the car causes the starter to continue cranking. That is what concerned me most, because it differed from the normal smooth quick start.
I do not know how long it would continue cranking before it either started or stops trying to start. Does anyone know if it is on a timed relay?

#15 ·
i had the same issue, couldnt hear the pump when key was turned to on position.

FINALLY FOUND THE PROBLEM AFTER 6 MONTHS OF FRUSTRATING STARTS AND MONEY WASTED!

its the connection between the fuel pump to the relay behind the rear fusebox.
I pushed the connection (wire harness) together to the back of the fusebox where the fuel pump relay is located on the fusebox. seems to be a misconnection that won't allow the power to reach the fuel pump.

still havent fixed it properly but starts instantly, atleast i know where the problem is located.
hope it helped you guys somehow...

#18 ·
My 2005 G6 had the ECU finally go out. apparently it was failing to communicate intermittently. spendy part. Hasnt not started since , it did fix the problem. Tech told me it is getting to be a common issue.
Fuel was never an issue. I did smell it occasionally when the car wouldnt start.
It progressed to engine dying, would turn over but not start. Then sat for 30 minutes started and didnt even have a code.
I finally got it to show the network code by using a bluetooth OBD2 reader I kept plugged into the port. Its a slick setup, uses an android phone with the app torque. The OBD2 dongle is cheap around 15 bucks or less at meritline or DX

#19 ·
Im having this issue with my 2010 G6 2.4L. Fixed the fusebox, had to constantly wiggle the relay in the back to have it start. After this was replaced last week, the car still doesn't want to start and the engine is flooding. Having to floor the car top have it start, it shakes violently. I'm selling this car and someone else can deal with this because I've had enough. Owned this car for one year and it's a lemon. it's at 125,000kms right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.