Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Running hot, for no reason, why?

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 ·
So up until last weekend i have never heard the fans in the g6 run. Then while we were coming back from reno, to the sf bay area, the car started to run hot. I stopped at a gas station about 15 miles from tne hotel to get gas and i haer the fans running on high, i mean it sounded intense. The car was over 240F. It statyed pretty high all the way back and it was only in the 40s outside. We stopped at anoher gas station a bit higher up and i cracked open the over flow and let the coolant boil just a tad in the over flow. I didnt let any spill out and i didnt burn myself lol. just as a note, the car made it to reno with out gOing over 225F.

After that it stayed around 225. However it is still running just over 225 and when we park somewhere, either a short drive or a long one, the fans are running hard long after the car is off.nthe coolant level is normal.

The car is a 3.5 with 65k on the clock. Do i need a thermostat? Coolant flush? Or some other random thing?

#2 ·
Someone else may have a better educated guess than I would but did you check for codes at all? The CEL does not have to be on for there to be stored codes. You can do this at your local Autozone or Advance Auto or you can buy your own scanner which have come down in price considerably.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#3 ·
If it randomly started doing this I would make sure you did not run over a bag or something that is restricting the air flow to the radiator (sometimes they can make their way in places you would never think of). Next I would check the thermostat because you know your fans are working. If the thermostat is working properly then the only thing left would be your water pump. I don't know much about the G6 water pumps when they are worn out will leak a little out a small hole on the bottom of where the gear is internally. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
The car doesnt feel like its draging a brake at all but i will look into that. I would expect a couple hundred mile drive would over heat a dragging brake, and i did not see any debris under the car or against the radiator. So im guessing t stat time. Thanks guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.