Pontiac G6 Forum banner

have solution for brake lights

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CharlesP2009 
#1 ·
i had the problem with brake lights coming on when they wanted. tryed everything new switchs and other things nothin worked. figured out how the switch worked and figured out how to fix the problem. done it to my g6. its guaranteed to work. if you want to know post email i will get back to u.

#2 ·
If in not mistaken, the cause is usually the brake switch.
If there was another solution, that would be great if it works, but maybe you could post the solution so people don't need to be giving out their email addy's on the web where it will be open to the world or sending it to people they may not know

#4 ·
For those of your interested in doing the fix yourself (and saving potentially $190), the BCM is located on the lower right hand-side of your center console just below the CD player and A/C controls. All you need is some dielectric grease which can be found at any automotive supply or hardware store.

Be sure to disconnect the negative terminal to your battery before beginning or you might get the service engine soon light after completing the task!

To start you'll need to remove the black plastic panel by pulling on the right hand side of the panel and pulling out. The offending connector is the blue one on the bottom left of the BCM assembly. I've attached an image showing the connector in a red rectangle.

Pull up on the grey plastic retainer and move it out of the way. Then you can pull the blue connector straight out. Apply a pea sized amount of the grease to the connector and spread evenly to across the entire surface.

Replace the blue connector, pull down and re-secure the grey plastic retainer, and replace the black panel. Reconnect the negative terminal of your battery.

When I completed the process my first start was a bit rough and the exhaust smelled stronger than usual, I guess everything computer-related on the car was reset and sorting itself out. It's been a week since I've completed the process and I haven't had a single occurrence of the brake lights sticking on and everything on the car seems to be functioning normally.

BCM assembly image:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.