Pontiac G6 Forum banner

First Wash and Brake Dust

5K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  G6~Mike 
#1 ·
Our G6 got it's first bath today at 1080 miles. The smooth panels without creases and ornaments made it pretty quick work.
We've got the base G6 with the painted alloy 16" wheels. It's been a VERY long time since i washed a new car but there seemed to be an awful lot of brake dust. 2 of the other 3 cars at our house have 4 wheel discs and alloys and tend to have more dust on the fronts but the G6 had a pretty heavy layer front and rear.
For those of you more familiar with this, is a lot of brake dust "normal" for a new car/set of brakes? Would it be reasonable to expect it to decrease a bit with time?

#6 ·
Holy shmoley, folks!
It sits in a garage for days at a time without being touched. The first 1080 went like this:
Washed at the dealer for delivery at 46 miles.
Moved to our garage. (5 miles)
Once to the mall (12 miles), once to the grocery store (5 miles).
Grand total: 68 miles.
Trip to Ohio one weekend: 787 miles.
Grand total: 865 miles.
Trip to the airport: 60 miles.
Couple of trips to the mall; out to dinner and Walmart : 115 miles.
Grand total: 1080 miles.
Pull it out of the garage and wash it.
Get grief from others because it has lead a dirty life.
I don't mind taking a shower and putting on clean underwear every day but c'mon, I gotta wash the car every day too? :p
Never had to do that with the Chevy it still cleans up real nice after 12 years!

#10 ·
OK, more liberal use of smilies apparently is in order with these folks, not a problem, I can adapt.

All kidding aside, I'm picking up that no one seems to consider this (the amount of dust) a problem, yes?

I'll just keep an eye on it then.

#12 ·
Brake dust probably isn't a problem...the first bank of miles you put on it will work your pads in...You'll see Tonnes of dust from that. Don't worry about it yet....Give it some time. Mine were pretty bad at first...like the first week I thought I got grey rims..not chrome.

SBM

#16 ·
GTPGuy82 said:
I clean the wheels at least once every two weeks, so I don't really have too much of a brakedust problem. When I rotated the tires I cleaned the inside of them really good and put on a coat of wax. Seemed to help slightly. The dirt just comes off a little easier now.
I havn't washed my car since october of 2005 and I have very minor brake dust buildup. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.