Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 G6 Gt Spare tire CHECK IT!!!

7K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I was getting my air pressure checked like I do every month and I also check the spare. Went to check the spares air and noticed the tread was separating from the tire!!! The guy at the tire store said you don't usually see this happen on a car only 6 years old. Had to buy a new spare on the spot, so glad I had checked my air!

#2 ·
A lot of people don't bother to check the spare. I check mine every month although it can be a pain at times in the winter months, but it's worthwhile. On my old cars with full size spares I would rotate in the spare tire so all five tires would wear down evenly. Compact spares can't be driven at highways speeds so it's utterly useless until you get a flat, and most owners only wait until then to realize it has no air, or as you mentioned, the tread has started to peel off!

My '99 Taurus spare has been used a few times over the years and shockingly enough, it maintains itself at 50psi. I only had to top it up with air once in the last 13 years. My 2 year old motorcycle tires have more cracks then the spare tire does!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.