Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 G6 with Continental Touring Tires Question

19K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  wilky2005GT 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 G6 Coupe with Continental Touring Tires that is sliding all over the road, especially on wet roads. The tires only have 19,000 miles on them. When I called the dealer today to ask if they had any complaints about the handling of G6's with Continental Tires I was told they never had a complaint, which I find hard to believe after some of the things I've read on the internet. I was going to order the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires today until the dealer told me he didn't think it would make a difference. Has anyone else had a problem with the Continental Tires?

Judy

#2 · (Edited)
The Continental tires are garbage, from what I heard. I believe that too. If you want handling and performance from the Conti Touring tires, you will be disappointed. Goodyear F1 AS are excellent tires. The person who told you the Goodyear F1 AS won't make a difference is full of S@#*.

#3 ·
I recently bought a set of Goodyear F1 AS's, having put about 54,000 on the original Goodyear Eagles on my '06 GTP coupe ( cords were starting to show. I also got 54,000 out of the original wiper blades, due to the highway robbery price of those ! ). What a difference the F1's made ! They have improved handling immensely. The ride is a little harsher and a bit noisier, but it's worth it. The traction in the rain is much better as well, seems like the hydroplaning at speed on the turnpike is less now. Just wonder how many miles I'll get out of these.

#6 ·
Hey guys I'm a new guy on here....but not to modding cars, just waned to say hello to all.....I guess it has something to do with what state you purchased in?? (idk maybe just throwin that out there).....mine came with Pirelli tires......handle great but they wear pretty quick.

#7 ·
The Continental ContiTouringContact CV95 tires that came with my 2006 GT are horrible in the wet weather. I smoke the tires from stop lights without trying and trust me...I don't have a heavy foot. (I got 98,000 miles out of a set of Goodyear Eagle GA tires on my Impala.) On top of that I had one blow out and another with a serious bulge. I replaced them with Falken Ziex ZE-912 and mounted them up front with the continentals in the rear. I looked for good all season tires, but this tire size was hard to match so I had to settle for high performance all seasons. Haven't tried it in the snow, but its great on dry and wet pavement. Steering is much more responsive. And it's cheap!! I want to pass it through a northeast winter before I commit to it.

#8 ·
I replaced them with Falken Ziex ZE-912 and mounted them up front with the continentals in the rear. I looked for good all season tires, but this tire size was hard to match so I had to settle for high performance all seasons. Haven't tried it in the snow, but its great on dry and wet pavement. Steering is much more responsive. And it's cheap!!

What do they cost per tire?

#9 ·
I got them for $95 each. I didn't get to do much research since I switched the flat with the spare and the other tire had a golf ball size bulge. I think other tires in that performance range were $140 and up. They are the highest rated ultra high performance all season tire by consumer reports.

#19 ·
Yes, I like them. Check this out; I ordered them June 18th in the morning around 8.00am. I recieved them at my house on June 20th near :D 2:00pm. I was driving on them at 4:00pm. discounttiredirect.com awesome!
As far as the tire's ride? Very nice. I had to make a late run to New Orleans and put a good 200+ miles on them. So far A-OK.

#20 ·
Yes, I like them. Check this out; I ordered them June 18th in the morning around 8.00am. I recieved them at my house on June 20th near :D 2:00pm. I was driving on them at 4:00pm. discounttiredirect.com awesome!
As far as the tire's ride? Very nice. I had to make a late run to New Orleans and put a good 200+ miles on them. So far A-OK.

#21 ·
This is what happened to my Continental's

I'm still in search of a good all season touring tire that fits our size 225-50-17. I heard the General Altimax HP are good tires. Anybody have them?

#22 · (Edited)
I'm still in search of a good all season touring tire that fits our size 225-50-17. I heard the General Altimax HP are good tires. Anybody have them?
I don't know about that brand but I will say that the Falken 912 225/50/17
($95 per tire DELIVERED) are awesome! Unless I get one hell of a deal I'm staying with these tires.

EDIT
I went back and read the earlier post, you do like these tires. Good luck with the feedback for the General Altimax HP.

#23 ·
I do have a pair of ZE912's but I'm still worried about its winter performance. Some people say its ok, others say its horrible. I just wanted to be prepared in case I need to make a change in the future. There aren't many good all season touring tires in our size. I was even considering getting a 16'' wheel since there are more tires available for it.

#25 ·
I have a 2006 G6 GT & a 2009 G6 SE V6

The Continental contact Touring Tires are the worst tires I have ever had. Even including the mastercraft tires I once had. Those of you from Canada will know what I mean.

With the 2006 G6 GT
I find I can't touch the gas on wet roads without tire spin. In the snow or on ice I'm all over the road. I'm getting real tired of seeing my back end pass me down the road. I ordered new Dunlop winter performance tires winter sport 3D and will update when I get them.

The 2009 G6 SE V6
This car came with the Hankook Optima All Season and my wife has allready complained about tire spin on wet roads. Although when I drove the car I like the better responce you get from them. They seem to be a little harder than the Continentals. Gm should put better tires on the cars they build.

#32 ·
BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S

I have been a fan of most BF Goodrich tires for some time. I know they are a division of Michelin. I have read very good reviews on other sites about the BF Goodrich g-Force Super Sport A/S. Has anyone else had experience with these?
I may just wait until next fall and purchase a set of dedicated winter tires, then buy a complete new set of rims and summer tires next spring. :)

#34 ·
I had the exact same problem with mine... I complained enough that GM replaced them with Goodyear tires... much better... those tires are horrible... it's unfortunate that Continental won the bidding war against other brands to take GM in... GM ain't complaining because they are cheap... unfortunate..

#35 · (Edited)
My Wife has the Contintal Pro Contacts on her '05 GT, so far, she's had to replace 2 tires, the first one, she hit a curb and rolled the tire off the rim then drove a mile back home!
The other one she had to replace, was due to her hitting a pothole and driving on the deflated tire to her friends house. I wasn't too happy this time, she called me at 11 PM to change the tire in the pouring rain. I did get some satisfaction though, I made her hold the flashlight so we both got drenched.
With her driving style or lack there of, I think she'd be better off going with a higher profile tire!!
B.B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.