Pontiac G6 Forum banner

temperature gauge 1 level above the middle? is this normal?

14K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  coupe_gtp 
#1 ·
good day, my girlfriend has a 2007 pontiac g6 sedan, 60,000k. 3 days ago i noticed her temperature gauge was slightly above the midway point. I'm not familiar with pontiac's and my Acura is always 2 notches below the middle. I think most cars are slightly below the middle notch. She says she's never paid much attention but doesn't think she's ever saw it up that high. I work long hours, but i asked her to get it checked. I personally checked her fluids and all, everything was fine, didn't notice any leaks or anything. The car has 60,000k on it and looks great. She took it the a shop and they told her nothing is wrong. She took it to pep boys. I told her that doesn't sound right. Her gauge has been over the middle notch for 3 days now. It hasn't went any higher but to me that does not sound right. She hasn't been doing alot of driving. She said the guy at pep boys said her thermostat, fan and everything was alright. I thought i guy told me you can't check the thermostat? Anyways i don't know what's going on? Any advice? is this really normal for the cars temperature gauge to be a notch above the middle? I always look for these things but i guess she doesn't. But, her oil is good, she just had that changed 3 weeks ago. Thanks for the advice and help.

#2 ·
I know that other people are going to give you some good advice and recommendations... and that will not include me! But I just wanted to say that mine seems to always ride a couple notches under the middle or right at the middle.

When they say it's "OK" does that mean they are reading a good temperature? and/or their temperature matches the gauge reading on the car? or do they just think, "nah, that temp is fine"? just wondering.

#3 ·
thanks for your response Steph, to me it seems as if their saying "nah, that temp is fine", i've had a few different cars from different makers over the past few years and i've never had a car where the regular temp was above the middle. However, she drove it 45 miles out today and she says it didn't move up. Normally when a car is above the middle the gauge quickly moves higher, it usually doesn't just sit there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.