Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 4 CYL GTP and Coupes now shipping

9K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  Vita 
#1 ·
The widely anticipated variants of the popular Pontiac G6 are arriving in a showroom near you. As Pontiac announced about a year ago, the G6 will have a coupe, 4-cylinder and convertible- along with GTP versions of all the body styles, all of which will be available in 2006. As of this week, 3 of the upcoming variants are in shipping to dealerships around the country.

One of those three is the GTP sedan. The performance version of the normal G6 sedan uses General Motors’ 3.9L V6. The new powertrain is good for 240 horsepower and 241 lb.-ft. of torque. Along with the higher-output engine, the GTP sports; automatic climate control, XM Satellite radio, Monsoon radio system, StabiliTrak and a hydraulic steering system as standard equipment. There is an optional 6-speed manual transmission. The base price for the GTP sedan is $24,835 including destination.

The new 4-cylinder G6 sedan is also arriving right now. It’s powered by GM’s ECOTEC 2.4L 4-cylinder with 170 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. torque. If the 4-cylinder versions of the G6 competitors are any indication of how popular the 4-cylinder G6 will be, this could be a big hit.

Last but certainly not least, the very sporty G6 coupe is currently being shipped to dealerships alongside the GTP and 4-cylinder models. Hard-top convertible versions of the G6 are scheduled to arrive in the first quarter of 2006- a detailed timeframe has not been set.

Going along with GM’s efforts to reduce rebates, Pontiac has lowered the sticker price of all G6 sedan models by $900. The reductions were effective as of June 13, 2005 and include all 2006 G6 sedan models. The 2006 G6 models that arrived on dealer lots prior June 13th had their prices adjusted. The coupe pricing was not affected in the reductions.

Although Pontiac declined to comment on a possible G6 GXP, it is expected that a GXP version of the G6 will arrive in the 2007 model year. GM has several options for possible powertrains for the G6 GXP, but the 3.6L V6 is likely. At the 2004 SEMA auto show in Las Vegas Pontiac revealed a G6 GXP show car. The bright-orange show car was powered by GM’s 3.6L high-output premium V6 with 275 horsepower mated to a 6-speed manual transmission. Along with the performance upgrades, the GXP sported revised front and rear fascias.
Source: GMI

#8 ·
RyanB said:
4 cyl = rental car
Exactly, I don't know why it needs to be offered, there is a lot of marketing power in the phrase "only lower midsize model with standard V6 power". A base 4 cyl car will probably have no power windows, 15" hubcaps and tires, weaker stereo, and a few other things the base V6 doesn't. Just cheapen up the base V6 up a little more and leave the 4 cyl rentals to Chevy with Malibus and Cobalts.

#9 ·
bigbengt67 said:
Exactly, I don't know why it needs to be offered, there is a lot of marketing power in the phrase "only lower midsize model with standard V6 power". A base 4 cyl car will probably have no power windows, 15" hubcaps and tires, weaker stereo, and a few other things the base V6 doesn't. Just cheapen up the base V6 up a little more and leave the 4 cyl rentals to Chevy with Malibus and Cobalts.
It has to be offered becase there are still people that want a larger car but want a 4 cylinder sometimes because of prefference sometimes because they are on a tight budget. A lot of grand am's that I see everyday are either 4 cyl se's or gt's.

#10 ·
^ The GA was not only a smaller car than the G6, it was also known as a "rental grade" car because of the avalibility to rent at most rental agencies. GM needs to get away from the negative stigma that comes from a car that is frequently seen on rental lots. The Malibu and Cobalt can fill that void, the G6 should be competitive with Honda and Toyota. When was the last time you saw an Accord on a rental lot? Not nearly as much as you would have seen the old GA.

#11 · (Edited)
bigbengt67 said:
^ The GA was not only a smaller car than the G6, it was also known as a "rental grade" car because of the avalibility to rent at most rental agencies. GM needs to get away from the negative stigma that comes from a car that is frequently seen on rental lots. The Malibu and Cobalt can fill that void, the G6 should be competitive with Honda and Toyota. When was the last time you saw an Accord on a rental lot? Not nearly as much as you would have seen the old GA.
The Grand Am being smaller is irrelevant to anything that I said. The only reason I mentioned the Grand Am is because the G6 is it's replacement. Since its the replacment, there are going to be the same people that bought a Grand Am that will/might want to upgrade to the G6. But if the vehicle they want isnt available then they might just go with an Accord 4 cyl or Toyota instead of getting a G6. Just because a vehicle has a 4 cyl doesnt mean it has to be rental grade. When I bought my former 2002 Grand Am SE1 4 cyl I was only 19 and didnt want a V6 because of insurance but now at 22 I can easily afford it. But if GM didnt offer the 4 Cyl Grand Am I probably would have gone with one of the imports.

A large number of GM vehicles are in rental fleets. People dont just want small crappy cars who rent. I know when I rent I want a car thats just like mine. Not some junky standard vehicle or small compact sedan/coupe. The Cadillac CTS, Silverado,Impala,Monte Carlo,and many other models are in rental fleets. But,just because a vehicle is at a rental place doesnt make it bad. (However rental fleet sales does lower residual car values for those people that own them.)

Also The G6 is already in fleet sales just not that many rental fleets. I didnt say the G6 needs to be a rental car. But I also dont think that because something is a 4 cyl that it has to be a rental car or automatically gets that status.

I do hear what your saying though. I'm not really sure why GM ever has 2 vehicles of nearly the same class as rental cars. Such as the malibu classic and the grand am se. Hopefully the G6 wont be added since the new malibu is already in rental fleets. But to them its all about selling cars. If thats a way for them to sell them thats what they will do unfortunently....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.