Pontiac G6 Forum banner

2006 Pontiac G6 Traction Control & Engine Light Issues

38K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  waterfowler76 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with ~ 215,000 Kilometers and in the last couple of weeks I have been having difficulties, specifically when taking the car out of park and accelerating, when the traction control light is on by itself or together with the engine light. Both the traction control and engine light go on and off intermittently and they are not always on together.

Below are my experiences when the traction control light is illuminated;
1. The car jerks when shifting from parking to drive.
2. The car will jerk slightly when moving to next gear during the initial
accelaration.

I had the car scanned and the error codes observed were P0010, P0011,
P0700, U2100, U2107 and U2109.

I would appreciate it if anyone else, or an experience GM Technician, could
provide some assistance in identifying where the problem might be located that would be creating the difficulties I am experiencing.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably two distinct issues:

U2100, U2107 and U2109 -You have a communication problem on the CAN bus. That is not a DIY repair. Requires a professional's diagnosis. Could be the tranny control module but you can't replace it yourself.

P0010, P0011 -Assuming you have a 2.4l, the solution is in the stickies.

#6 ·
2006 G6 GTP T/C light then car "reduced engine power"

Help-my 2006 cannot be diagnosed because after the traction control light and engine light goes on from running down the road fine to "reduced engine Power" and cannot go over 5 miles an hour. You shut it off for 1 minute and then start it up and it is fine for a time. The dealership says they have to catch it when it does that but they had it for a week and nothing. They are leaning toward the throttle control but this occurs when the car is running fine and then it starts this stuff. Could it be the computer? I don't have $1000.00 to spend and then it isn't the throttle control. one month ago they took out the K & N air flow filter my hubby put on 4 years ago saying that was a problem but I didn't think so. Please-any advice or similar situations would help. Car only has 68K on it and I don't need a new car payment. Why doesn't the computer record and save the codes as a history or something? This car has been a problem from the day we bought it new!:mad::mad:

courtmel

#7 ·
Help-my 2006 cannot be diagnosed because after the traction control light and engine light goes on from running down the road fine to "reduced engine Power" and cannot go over 5 miles an hour. You shut it off for 1 minute and then start it up and it is fine for a time. The dealership says they have to catch it when it does that but they had it for a week and nothing. They are leaning toward the throttle control but this occurs when the car is running fine and then it starts this stuff. Could it be the computer? I don't have $1000.00 to spend and then it isn't the throttle control. one month ago they took out the K & N air flow filter my hubby put on 4 years ago saying that was a problem but I didn't think so. Please-any advice or similar situations would help. Car only has 68K on it and I don't need a new car payment. Why doesn't the computer record and save the codes as a history or something? This car has been a problem from the day we bought it new!:mad::mad:

courtmel
That is almost always a bad throttle body (TB). Specifically the tps sensors in the TB. Replaced as a unit. I think they go for about $150. Pretty easy to DIY. Now you could have an intermittent problem in the circuit but unless you can troubleshoot analog circuits yourself you have two choices: Replace the TB yourself & hope or have the troubleshooting done by a pro. Your call. I find it very strange there are no stored codes.

#8 ·
You are the man, Greenman!

I can't thank you enough for your response. I thought it was strange when they told me the codes get erased and they cannot read them unless it is happening right at that moment. Seriously, this car has been a problem from day one. My husband can now recreate the problem by unplugging the plug that goes into the throttle body. Still think it is what you first said? I am so tired of getting taken by these mechanics.

Thanks,
courtmel

#9 ·
Greenman, where would I buy a Throttle Body?

Just called an auto parts store and the man said he doesn't stock this part because it is so expensive. Said I would have to order through a dealer for about $1000.00. My hubby is a shade tree mechanic and thinks he can put the part in but where can I get one for $150.00 or so? Maybe you have a source.:)

courtmel

#14 ·
G6 TC and Engine light problems.

Someone on here mentioned cleaning the MAF sensor with a can of cleaner and it fixed the suspected stray voltages messing up the cars control system. I did that and have had two trips so far looking good again with the car. Its a 2007 G6 four banger with 98k miles. Previously I have replaced the two oxygen sensors which took car of earlier engine light issues. I am a HVACR technician for 36 years. I am used to over complicated flaky control designs. What say you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.