Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Power steering fluid, how to check/add fluid??

84K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  g6_gt06 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I had the power steering light on the dash flash me quick last week, and again this morning. I checked out the owners manual and low and behold, it doesn't tell me anything pertaining to the power steering fluids, or the trans fluid for that matter.

I found the transmission cap, right on top of the unit (no dipstick on the cap of course). I searched first around the serpentine belt side of the engine for a power steering reservoir, but couldn't find anything. I began searching everywhere but came to the conclusion that there must be at least a small screw that I can remove to check the PS fluid level, or add as necessary? I looked throughout the engine compartment and couldn't find anything related to power steering fluid, let alone a reservoir.

Where can I check and/or add power steering fluid if necessary???

Danke

#3 ·
Hmmm. I didn't even see any electric motor/box, but I'll concentrate more tomorrow and have a better look, thanks! ...I'll check into this recall as well....

#5 ·
I bought it new and received no letter... but I'll check anyway. Dodge decided not to tell me right away about a TSB that they had either. I got it in the mail 3 years after it was issued....

#6 ·
Not sure if you've figured it out yet or not, but you DO have an electric steering assist motor, and unless you know what it looks like, you wont be able to find it. Theres no maitnence you can do on it, only a dealer can. Your vehicle should be eligable to get it replaced at no cost to you if you are experiencing problems with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.