2007 G6 Door Ajar Issues..Alarm Going Off... - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Franklinstew

Gallery: 0
Franklinstew is on a distinguished road
2007 G6 Door Ajar Issues..Alarm Going Off...

Hello Everyone,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2007 G6 and this morning with all 4 doors shut my door ajar chime was going off and it said "Door Ajar" on radio screen and today while sitting at work my factory alarm started going off. I shut all 4 doors multiple times and this did not solve the problem.

I have noticed my interior light was staying on also, so I shut this off by the switch on the dome light.

My biggest concern is the alarm going off at like 3am and waking everyone up. I was thinking of unhooking the battery at night, but not completely sure on that.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Stew
Franklinstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
reverttheclown

reverttheclown is on a distinguished road
could be a bad door sensor or switch? sounds like its SOMETIMES not recognizing that a door is closed which is why you go the door ajar this morning and then at work it could've gone faulty again causing the alarm to go off.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Franklinstew

Franklinstew is on a distinguished road
Thank you. That makes since.

If I leave my car in the garage unlocked..I'm assuming the alarm WILL NOT go off? Am I thinking correctly on this?
Franklinstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
jts08g6

jts08g6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinstew View Post
Thank you. That makes since.

If I leave my car in the garage unlocked..I'm assuming the alarm WILL NOT go off? Am I thinking correctly on this?
It shouldnt. As long as u don't activate the alarm.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
jts08g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
reverttheclown

if what i said was indeed to problem then yes, the alarm should NOT go off when it is left unlocked....could be a good way to narrow the problem down tonight as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #6
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
This might help http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...highlight=AJAR

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
...or this http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...highlight=AJAR

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
reverttheclown

looks like the fuse for the theft detterent system is combined with the instrument cluster so pulling that won't help you during the day...perhaps pulling the horn fuse will work for not annoying the neighbors but that wouldn't be safe while driving so if you use this route i'd replace it before driving.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

greenman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinstew View Post
Hello Everyone,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2007 G6 and this morning with all 4 doors shut my door ajar chime was going off and it said "Door Ajar" on radio screen and today while sitting at work my factory alarm started going off. I shut all 4 doors multiple times and this did not solve the problem.

I have noticed my interior light was staying on also, so I shut this off by the switch on the dome light.

My biggest concern is the alarm going off at like 3am and waking everyone up. I was thinking of unhooking the battery at night, but not completely sure on that.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Stew

Service Information 2007 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2286307
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-08-64-022: Various Intermittent Electrical Concerns-Door Ajar Message, Interior Lights On, Theft Deterrent Alarm, Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Stays On, Discharged Battery (Diagnose/Repair Door Lock Assembly) - (Jun 2, 2009)

Subject: Various Intermittent Electrical Concerns -- Door Ajar Message, Interior Lights On, Theft Deterrent Alarm, Retained Accessory Power (RAP) Stays On, Discharged Battery (Diagnose/Repair Door Lock Assembly/Circuit)

Models: 2006-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2009 Pontiac G6

2006-2009 Saturn AURA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment on one or more of the following concerns:

The door ajar message stays on or comes on intermittently.

The interior lights stay on or turn on intermittently.

The content theft deterrent alarm goes off intermittently.

RAP does not cancel when the door is opened allowing the radio, power windows, sunroof and the compass to remain powered up.

The battery is discharged.

Cause
These conditions may be caused by water intrusion into the door ajar switch (part of the door lock assembly) which causes an incorrect switch status input to the BCM. This condition can be intermittent and wet weather may aggravate this condition.

Correction
Use the following steps to aid in diagnosis of the concern.

Important: DO NOT replace the body control module (BCM) for this concern.

Use the Tech 2 and monitor the door ajar switch inputs to the BCM. The Tech 2 lists the left front door separately, then all passenger doors together.
Check if a door ajar message is active with the doors closed. If this condition is not present, washing the vehicle may induce the concern. Note that the vehicle may have to sit for up to two hours.
If the concern is the RAP does not cancel when the left front door is opened, suspect the left door lock assembly. If the door ajar message is active on the passenger door, it could be any of the other doors.
Try opening and closing each passenger door one at a time while monitoring the door ajar status to see if one of the doors will cause the message to change to door closed. If it does, suspect that door lock.
If the message does not change, you can isolate which door is indicating ajar by disconnecting the individual door electrical connector at the pass-through on the pillar side. Always start with the right front door first. If the message changes to door closed when the door is disconnected, suspect that door lock.
Once you have identified the suspect door, refer to SI for complete circuit testing. Refer to Diagnostic Starting Point - Vehicle Access in SI.

Warranty Information
Important: Use the appropriate labor operation for the repair performed.

For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B4260
Front Side Door Lock Replacement - Right Side
Use Published Labor Operation Time

B4261
Front Side Door Lock Replacement - Left Side

B4660
Rear Side Door Lock Replacement - Right Side

B4661
Rear Side Door Lock Replacement - Left Side

2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 AM   #10
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverttheclown View Post
could be a bad door sensor or switch? sounds like its SOMETIMES not recognizing that a door is closed which is why you go the door ajar this morning and then at work it could've gone faulty again causing the alarm to go off.
IIRC, if you don't use the fob to lock the car, you won't enable the content theft deterrent alarm. You can still lock the car manually.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
reverttheclown

i manually lock the doors from the inside when i get out and the alarm is activated then...
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
jts08g6

jts08g6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i manually lock the doors from the inside when i get out and the alarm is activated then...
Same here

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide App

The To-Do List
6000k HIDS: EE Halos: Tinted Tails: Exhaust: Rims: CAI: New Headunit: Lowering: Color Change
jts08g6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Really? I guess the SM for the 06 G6 is wrong then:

Service Information
2006 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2022590

Content Theft Deterrent (CTD) Description and Operation
When armed, the content theft deterrent (CTD) system is designed to deter vehicle content theft by pulsing the horns and exterior lamps for approximately 30 seconds when an unauthorized vehicle entry is detected. However, the CTD system does not affect engine starting.

An unauthorized entry can be any of the following with the CTD system armed:

• When any door is opened without first being unlocked using the vehicle key or using the UNLOCK command from a keyless entry transmitter

• Unauthorized entry into the underhood area, if equipped with remote vehicle start

• Unauthorized entry into the rear compartment

• After a battery reconnect, if the battery was disconnected with the CTD system armed

The components of the CTD system are:

• Body Control Module (BCM)

• Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)

• Security indicator

• Door ajar switches

• Rear compartment lid ajar switch

• Hood ajar switch (if equipped)

Arming the CTD System
Use the following procedure in order to arm the system:

Place the shift lever in P (park).
Turn OFF the ignition.
Open any door.
Important: The system is not armed if the doors are locked manually; the remote keyless entry transmitter must be used to arm the content theft deterrent (CTD) system.

Lock the doors using the LOCK button on the transmitter. The system is in standby mode and will not start the arming timer until all doors are closed.
The system will begin the arm sequence immediately after the last door is closed. If the keyless entry transmitter is used the arm the system after the vehicle doors are closed, the arm sequence will begin as soon as the LOCK command is received by the transmitter.
Locking the Vehicle Without Arming the CTD System
Locking the vehicle may be accomplished without arming the content theft deterrent (CTD) system. Use of the manual door locks or using the key to lock the doors will lock the vehicle, but will not arm the CTD system.

Disarming an Armed System/Silencing an Alarm
If system arming has been requested by the power door lock switch or the keyless entry transmitter, it must be disarmed.

Important: Using the power door unlock switch or manually unlocking the doors does not disable the content theft deterrent (CTD) arm mode. Also, disconnecting the battery or pulling fuses does not disable the arm mode, since the BCM stores the CTD mode status in memory.

• To disarm the CTD system in standby mode, perform one of the following:

- Press either power door unlock switch.

- Press the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter.

- Insert a valid key into the ignition and switch to the ON position.

• To disarm the CTD system in the armed mode (non-event) or when activated (during an alarm event):

Press the UNLOCK button on the keyless entry transmitter.

CTD Circuit Description
The following is a description of each component used in the content theft deterrent (CTD) system:

Body Control Module (BCM)

The CTD system is an internal function of the BCM which utilizes serial data and various switch inputs information to perform CTD functions. When the BCM detects an unauthorized entry, it activates the horns and exterior lamps. The BCM has 4 basic modes (disarmed, standby, armed, and alarm) for operating the CTD system. The different modes are described below.

The BCM has the CTD system in a disarmed mode until the following conditions are detected:
• Ignition key turned to the OFF position.

• Doors locked using the LOCK button on the transmitter.

The BCM enters the standby mode when the above conditions are detected. If a door was already opened when the arm mode was requested, the standby mode does not start the timer until the last door is closed.
When the last door is closed, a 15 second timer is activated. Once the timer has expired, the BCM enters the armed mode. After this delay, any forced entry activates the alarm mode.
When a forced entry is detected, the BCM enters the alarm mode. The BCM activates the horns and exterior lamps for 30 seconds. This is followed by a three minute time-out with the horn no longer active. If no new intrusions are detected after the time-out, the horn is not active. The system must be disarmed or the intrusion condition removed after the time-out for the system to exit alarm mode.
Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR)
The keyless entry system can arm and disarm the CTD system. When the keyless entry module receives a door lock or unlock signal from the transmitter, the keyless entry module sends a message to the BCM via serial data to perform the appropriate arm/disarm functions.

Security Indicator
The security indicator is illuminated by the instrument panel cluster (IPC) based on information (via serial data) from the BCM for CTD, or theft deterrent module (TDM) for immobilizer. The CTD system uses the security indicator to inform the driver of system status prior to arming. The security indicator on the instrument cluster is controlled by both the CTD system and the immobilizer system.

• The CTD system, integral to the BCM, commands the IPC to control the security indicator only when the ignition switch is OFF. The CTD system uses the indicator to identify system status.

• The immobilizer system, integral to the theft deterrent module (TDM), commands the IPC to control the security indicator only when the ignition switch is ON as a malfunction indicator. The immobilizer system is to deter vehicle theft. Refer to Vehicle Theft Deterrent (VTD) Description and Operation for more information on the immobilizer system.

Door Ajar Switches
The CTD system uses the door ajar switches as a status indicator to activate the alarm. The door ajar switches are monitored by the BCM via a discrete input from each door ajar switch. If the BCM receives a signal indicating a door is opened when the CTD system is armed, the BCM activates the alarm.

Hood Ajar Switch
The CTD system uses the hood ajar switch as a status indicator to activate the alarm. The BCM monitors the hood ajar switch via a discrete input from the switch. If the BCM receives a signal indicating the hood has been opened when the CTD system is armed, the BCM activates the alarm.

Rear Compartment Lid Ajar Switch
The CTD system uses the rear compartment ajar switch as a status indicator to activate the alarm. The BCM monitors the rear compartment ajar switch via a discrete input from the switch. If the BCM receives a signal indicating the rear compartment has been opened when CTD system is armed, the BCM activates the alarm.

Inputs
The BCM monitors the following inputs for CTD:

• The door ajar switches

• The keyless entry transmitter LOCK/UNLOCK buttons; a serial data message from the RCDLR

• The immobilizer status--The BCM uses the immobilizer status for disarming the system or silencing an alarm when the correct vehicle key is used to start the vehicle

• The rear compartment ajar switch

• The hood ajar switch

Outputs
The BCM controls the following for CTD:

• The horn relay

• The exterior lamps
2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Last edited by greenman; 07-13-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
reverttheclown

manually locking the doors is pushing the little lock pin thing on the door with your finger, as oppose to using the actual "lock" button on the FOB or inside the vehicle
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
manually locking the doors is pushing the little lock pin thing on the door with your finger, as oppose to using the actual "lock" button on the FOB or inside the vehicle
On my 09, using either the door lock switch or the door lock pin to lock the vehicle does not arm the CTD alarm. I see that had changed for the 08 MY. Looking at the 06 & 07 owner's manuals I see they both disagree with the GM service manuals for those years on this point. Ain't that a nice can of worms.
So, to the OP with an 07: using the lock pin to lock your car will not arm the CTD alarm.

Last edited by greenman; 07-14-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions