GM is replacing Catalytic Converters - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Jerrymac

Gallery: 0
Jerrymac is on a distinguished road
GM is replacing Catalytic Converters

Received a letter yesterday from Pontiac telling me they will replace faulty converters up to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Letter referred to 2008 G6 with 2.4 engine and 4 speed automatic. I don't know what other years are covered. Thanks GM for stepping up to the plate on this one. Haven't had the problem myself but lots have. They also say they will reimburse those who have already paid for the repair.
Jerrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
reverttheclown

reverttheclown is on a distinguished road
good news for them...what did they say symptoms were or what exactly was the problem?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #3
Jerrymac

Jerrymac is on a distinguished road
"...some 2008 model year Pontiac G6 vehicles may have a condition where the mat within the catalytic converter may erode, causing the illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp."
Jerrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
RaBiDFLY

RaBiDFLY is on a distinguished road
Verified in Canada.

10 years 193,000km

2006 Pontiac G6 4cyl

I went to GM today to price the part and go from there. We've had this problem for 3 months now and we were 15,000km over the previous coverage of 130,000km.

Very pleased with GM over this!

Dan

Last edited by RaBiDFLY; 09-22-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added proper original km coverage
RaBiDFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
jpoel

jpoel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymac View Post
Received a letter yesterday from Pontiac telling me they will replace faulty converters up to 10 years or 120,000 miles. Letter referred to 2008 G6 with 2.4 engine and 4 speed automatic. I don't know what other years are covered. Thanks GM for stepping up to the plate on this one. Haven't had the problem myself but lots have. They also say they will reimburse those who have already paid for the repair.
They replaced mine today -2009 2.4L with 50999 miles. Check engine light with P0420 code. They were courtious and offered, but did not push other services. $0.00 cost to me.
jpoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
slls

slls is on a distinguished road
Fed warranty is 8 yr 80 K. Mine is 15 yr 150 K, Ca emissions.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
jml

jml is on a distinguished road
Hi everyones,

Is this recall for the CAT is only for G6 , 2.4 L?
Is this apply only for G6 , 2.4 L 2008?
Is the CAT on a 2.4 L is different of the one on a 3.5 L?

Regards
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
gruvedaddy

gruvedaddy is on a distinguished road
I have no codes in the computer but all the symptoms of a clogged cat. Do I need the code for the cat to be replaced under warranty?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
gruvedaddy

Talked to dealer service dept. They said the cat warranty extension on my 08 G6 is good till 120k miles or 2017, whichever comes first. However, the SEL light MUST be on with the faulty cat code for them to replace it through the warranty. What bullshit! If there is enough of a problem to extend the warranty then do they really think that some of the exact same cats won't fail? Of course not! They are just hoping not everyone will see this warranty extension and get it replaced on GM's dime. So it's either I replace it on my own or continue to drive it in the unsafe condition until the light decides to come on. Very disappointed with GM in this aspect of the repair they are offering. My G6 is accelerating so poorly I refuse to allow my wife or daughters to drive it in fear that they will try and accelerate to cross an intersection or get on the highway and may get in an accident due to the poor acceleration. My father is a retired GM worker and I have owned 9 GM vehicles in my life but instances like this are driving me away. I was very close to buying a Cruze the other day, but didn't and I'm not sure I will because I am so done dealing with GM and how they handle things like this. And no I do not believe I would be reimbursed later if I did the job myself because I already got screwed years ago on my 02 trailblazer when my taillight circuit board crapped out and the recall was to be announced soon after but I had to fork out over $350 to the dealer only to haven GM corporate tell me that even though their own GM dealer mechanics said it was the same problem that the recall was that GM corporate didn't think so and I was NOT reimbursed. I'm just tired of going down this road with GM.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
theshibbykumquat

theshibbykumquat is on a distinguished road
Do a backpressure test on the cat, you may find the cat is not even your problem...

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
theshibbykumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:45 AM   #11
gruvedaddy

So, as i am waiting for my cat to fail (if that is indeed the problem) i borrowed a buddies scan tool. I still have no codes stored but what i am wanting to do is monitor the cat O2 sensors as the car is being driven. My question is what parameters am i looking for in a good or failing cat? I didn't see thread addressing this so i figured i'd ask the question here. Thanks again in advance for any help. Oh, and i don't know anybody with a back pressure gauge so i'm outta luck in that dept.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
theshibbykumquat

theshibbykumquat is on a distinguished road
Most auto stores will rent out tools like a backpressure gauge

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
theshibbykumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 AM   #13
gruvedaddy

None of the parts stores in my area (autozone,advance,oreilly,napa) rent out the back pressure gauge. My 08 is still limping along as it has been with no codes present. I tried to p.m. The GM Customer Rep on the site but did not get a response. If they are reading this I would appreciate if they would contact me. I'm about to drive this hunk of shit into a nearby quarry and buy a Ford.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
gruvedaddy

I am happy to report that the GM rep has contacted me. We'll see how it goes trying to get the dealer to diagnose weather or not the cat is bad under the warranty. Still no codes but still runnin' like crap.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
mshinall

Gallery: 24
mshinall is on a distinguished road
Sorry if this is a late and or a dumb question, but have you already checked the normal tune up items, Air filter, plugs, wires, etc? I think GM says to change the plugs and wires at 100k.
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Muffler repl w/Y pipe and dual 12" cherry bombs, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels
...still working...
mshinall is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > General Discussion > Auto News and Rumors