Replacement Wheel Bearings - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
copperkid

Gallery: 0
copperkid is on a distinguished road
Replacement Wheel Bearings

Hey everyone.

I've got a 2006 G6 3.5 w/ ABS and at 145 000 km I think it's about time to swap out the wheel bearings.

I've done some searching but I was looking to get some opinions about what I should look for, and around a price range.

I know a couple of the local parts shops have the 'good' and 'economy' brands, with a pretty huge price difference. is the 'good' worth it?

Thanks in advance!
copperkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Gallery: 17
CruisinG6 is on a distinguished road
Are the old bearings making any noise? I'm a firm believer in if it's not broken, don't fix it.

But regardless I would say go with the better quality bearing. It's probably got a better warranty and also probably has better parts within it.

~My '09 2.4 G6~
CruisinG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
copperkid

Yes, there is noise.
It started at about 70+ km/h
next week it was 60+
and now it's pretty much 40+, seems all I can hear is a wah wah wah wah type noise.
I just had new tires put on, ball joins/control arms. and an alignment.

I'm not sure how dangerous it is ...I'm sure it is just the annoyance at the moment. do you have any idea about the signs for imminent failure?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Usually they just make a constant noise that gets louder/more intense the faster you go. Usually tracks with the speed of the car. I've also heard them make really horrible screeching noises as the bearing is spinning, But it's usually bad enough to where you can feel it through the floor of the car.

If you jack up the car, remove the wheel and give the bearing a spin and hear ANY type of whirring noises then it's likely on its way out.

I would say if you plan to replace them spend the little extra on the better bearings, Mainly because you get a better warranty. It does depend where you buy it from, Some places sell re-manufactured bearings while others sell brand new ones. All in all in depends on how much you're willing to spend. Any replacement will be better then what you have now.

~My '09 2.4 G6~
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
copperkid

very true.. I've thought about trying to find some online, generally I find the cost is less, and seeing if a shop will install them for me. but it doesn't look like I will have a lot of luck that way.
For warranty I've seen the cheap ones have a 1 yr and the better ones have a 3 year.
I guess it makes sense to have that extra coverage(extra $100 over 2 years for the warranty doesn't seem too bad)
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
G6V606GT
Courtney :]

G6V606GT is on a distinguished road
I bought mine online and installed them myself, it was through amazon, I don't remember the seller but im sure I can find it if you want?!

Sent from my MB520
Mods: Fully Custom Catback w/ Stainless Steel Piping & Flowmaster 80 series 1 in 2 out , CRAB Intake, Blue Calipers, Blue Spark Plug Wires, EE Headlights, White LED Dome, Map, and License Plate Lights, Black Badge Overlays
G6V606GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Getting parts online saves you money, You can often find some good deals, even after shipping.

Replacing the bearing yourself is actually not that difficult. You can rent the large socket to remove the axle nut, It helps to have an air compressor and impact gun, but you can use a breaker bar as well. Really depends on if you feel comfortable talking such a task.

~My '09 2.4 G6~
Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
G6V606GT
Courtney :]

G6V606GT is on a distinguished road
Yeah it wasn't hard, it was more of a pain because most of the stuff was pretty stuck but difficulty wise, not too bad, the socket was rented and we have an impact gun (really don't think I would have done it without it) a pry here and a pry there and that was about it

Sent from my MB520
Mods: Fully Custom Catback w/ Stainless Steel Piping & Flowmaster 80 series 1 in 2 out , CRAB Intake, Blue Calipers, Blue Spark Plug Wires, EE Headlights, White LED Dome, Map, and License Plate Lights, Black Badge Overlays
G6V606GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
copperkid

I've thought about trying it myself. But I don't really have any good friends around JUST in case something doesn't work out...so I wouldn't want to screw my self over...

for ordering online do you know a good site, off hand? I'm sure I could find one. but with the internet being what it is, I wouldn't want to be the guy that picks the wrong one....
that and I just like making conversation

edit: sure Courtney, if you don't mind!

Last edited by copperkid; 07-19-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

You can check out RockAuto.com or Amazon is also a good place, just search or Pontiac G6 Wheel Bearing. You can enter your car info to ensure you get the right part. I just searched and found some made in the USA and some that look like pretty quality products. Just do research. You can always find more info about any product you find and really get a good idea for the quality.

You can even try to find a shop that'll do the work after you buy the part. That can save you some money on the parts.

I don't know what you have around you, but I know around me there is a shop you can go to and rent a bay, With or without a lift, and go into it and do the work. Comes with access to technical information and you can pay for help as well. But it all costs money haha.

It's covered in the Chilton's for G6. Is it the front or the rear you need to replace?

~My '09 2.4 G6~
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
copperkid

There isn't any where around here that does the 'rent a bay', but it sounds pretty awesome...

And it is the fronts.. but I'm sure the back isn't too far behind, I guess I don't know if bearing life on the backs is much longer than the fronts

just checked out rockauto...it's a pretty slick site, I'll have to take a better look when I get home

Last edited by copperkid; 07-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
gotzaG6

gotzaG6 is on a distinguished road
I've had great luck with duralast parts from AutoZone in the past, that's where I got my wheel bearings from. They come with a warranty and we're 50 dollars cheaper per part versus rock auto.

Past Pontiacs
87' white Firebird(sold)
01' green Grand Am SE2(traded for the 03')
03' orange Grand Am SC/T(totaled)
04' blue GTO(traded for the G6)

Current Pontiacs
00' tan Montana(I swear, its the wife's)
06' black G6 GT Coupe
gotzaG6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Here, I scanned a page from my chiltons for G6. It can help give you an idea of what's involved in replacing the wheel bearing.

~My '09 2.4 G6~
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
copperkid

Beauty!...

thanks! hopefully after the weekend I'll have a better idea of how I'm going to tackle this mofo.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
CruisinG6
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hey if you feel up to it, go for it! The biggest issue I would see is the center axle nut.

~My '09 2.4 G6~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance