2006 Pontiac G6 Traction Control & Engine Light Issues - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Pontiac Fever

Gallery: 0
Pontiac Fever is on a distinguished road
2006 Pontiac G6 Traction Control & Engine Light Issues

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 with ~ 215,000 Kilometers and in the last couple of weeks I have been having difficulties, specifically when taking the car out of park and accelerating, when the traction control light is on by itself or together with the engine light. Both the traction control and engine light go on and off intermittently and they are not always on together.

Below are my experiences when the traction control light is illuminated;
1. The car jerks when shifting from parking to drive.
2. The car will jerk slightly when moving to next gear during the initial
accelaration.

I had the car scanned and the error codes observed were P0010, P0011,
P0700, U2100, U2107 and U2109.

I would appreciate it if anyone else, or an experience GM Technician, could
provide some assistance in identifying where the problem might be located that would be creating the difficulties I am experiencing.

Thanks.
Pontiac Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

greenman is on a distinguished road
Probably two distinct issues:

U2100, U2107 and U2109 -You have a communication problem on the CAN bus. That is not a DIY repair. Requires a professional's diagnosis. Could be the tranny control module but you can't replace it yourself.

P0010, P0011 -Assuming you have a 2.4l, the solution is in the stickies.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
Pontiac Fever

Pontiac Fever is on a distinguished road
Hello Greenman,

Thanks for the feedback...I really appreciate it.

Can you elaborate what you mean by CAN bus? Is this a wiring harness or a network of
control modules?

Secondly, what do you mean by stickies?
Pontiac Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
TakeOffYourPantsAndJacket

TakeOffYourPantsAndJacket is on a distinguished road
I had the engine light come on along with the traction control going haywire as well. But it was because I needed a new cat converter along with bad gas from Bp in my tank.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
TakeOffYourPantsAndJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac Fever View Post
Hello Greenman,

Thanks for the feedback...I really appreciate it.

Can you elaborate what you mean by CAN bus? Is this a wiring harness or a network of
control modules?

Secondly, what do you mean by stickies?
Your car is basically a computer network on wheels. The network protocol is named CAN.

Stickies are found at the top of the forum threads & are permanent threads.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
courtmel

courtmel is on a distinguished road
2006 G6 GTP T/C light then car "reduced engine power"

Help-my 2006 cannot be diagnosed because after the traction control light and engine light goes on from running down the road fine to "reduced engine Power" and cannot go over 5 miles an hour. You shut it off for 1 minute and then start it up and it is fine for a time. The dealership says they have to catch it when it does that but they had it for a week and nothing. They are leaning toward the throttle control but this occurs when the car is running fine and then it starts this stuff. Could it be the computer? I don't have $1000.00 to spend and then it isn't the throttle control. one month ago they took out the K & N air flow filter my hubby put on 4 years ago saying that was a problem but I didn't think so. Please-any advice or similar situations would help. Car only has 68K on it and I don't need a new car payment. Why doesn't the computer record and save the codes as a history or something? This car has been a problem from the day we bought it new!

courtmel
courtmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtmel View Post
Help-my 2006 cannot be diagnosed because after the traction control light and engine light goes on from running down the road fine to "reduced engine Power" and cannot go over 5 miles an hour. You shut it off for 1 minute and then start it up and it is fine for a time. The dealership says they have to catch it when it does that but they had it for a week and nothing. They are leaning toward the throttle control but this occurs when the car is running fine and then it starts this stuff. Could it be the computer? I don't have $1000.00 to spend and then it isn't the throttle control. one month ago they took out the K & N air flow filter my hubby put on 4 years ago saying that was a problem but I didn't think so. Please-any advice or similar situations would help. Car only has 68K on it and I don't need a new car payment. Why doesn't the computer record and save the codes as a history or something? This car has been a problem from the day we bought it new!

courtmel
That is almost always a bad throttle body (TB). Specifically the tps sensors in the TB. Replaced as a unit. I think they go for about $150. Pretty easy to DIY. Now you could have an intermittent problem in the circuit but unless you can troubleshoot analog circuits yourself you have two choices: Replace the TB yourself & hope or have the troubleshooting done by a pro. Your call. I find it very strange there are no stored codes.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
courtmel

You are the man, Greenman!

I can't thank you enough for your response. I thought it was strange when they told me the codes get erased and they cannot read them unless it is happening right at that moment. Seriously, this car has been a problem from day one. My husband can now recreate the problem by unplugging the plug that goes into the throttle body. Still think it is what you first said? I am so tired of getting taken by these mechanics.

Thanks,
courtmel
Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
courtmel

Greenman, where would I buy a Throttle Body?

Just called an auto parts store and the man said he doesn't stock this part because it is so expensive. Said I would have to order through a dealer for about $1000.00. My hubby is a shade tree mechanic and thinks he can put the part in but where can I get one for $150.00 or so? Maybe you have a source.

courtmel
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
i did a quick search and looks like autozone has them for about 175.00

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9728_161726_0_

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
courtmel

Thanks Waterfowler76

Waterfowler76-thanks for the much needed and appreciated info. Do you think installing one this part is going to require the computer to be reset?

courtmel
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
no, no need to reset anything. its a quick unplug take the old off, replace with new and plug back in. just make sure battery is disconnected, and youll need a new TB gasket.

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Also, if you want to shop around, put "G6 throttle body" in a google search box. I don't think a new AC Delco one is too much more than that. If you buy remanufactured you'll have to return the old one to get your core charge back.

How-to in the Chiltons for G6.

Last edited by greenman; 10-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions