Pontiac G6 Forum banner

theshibbykumquat's Progression

16K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  Docata 
#1 ·
Been on here a while and realized I never started up a progression over here, so here it finally is :D , have a lot of good stuff done to the 6. Some of the pics might be old though since I copied a lot of them over from my progression on g6performance...

Heres the pics!

Blacked out my window trim as well as the trim around my grills
Also did overlays on the front & rear arrows

See less See more
#2 ·
Also got overlays for my steering wheel and door sill logos, as well as GM logo mats, along with my Pioneer headunit with the metra kit.

#19 ·
Whered you get the arrowhead overlays?!?!??

#3 ·
Pics of my springs when they can in... as far as I know I have the only G6 riding on Pedders.

The two on the left are the rears, while the two on the right are the fronts

#4 ·
Finally got around to installing the Pedders when I got home today. My advice to anybody trying to install springs is that air tools are a must, good luck trying to get the nut off the top of the strut mount without an impact.

First two pictures are the ride height before installing, front was riding about 25”, rear was at 25”.

Here’s some pictures comparing the front and rear springs

And the front and rear springs installed

Here’s the ride heights after installing, about 24” at the front, and 24” at the rear

Here’s before and after shots from the side of the car, taken on two different days, so the angle isn’t the same, but from measuring the drop is about 1” all the way around. The measurements were taken right after the install though so I have a feeling they’ll settle out a bit over the next week or so. And I’ll update with more pictures and measurements once they settle in.

Before

After

Overall impression of the springs is awesome. The ride is definitely firmer, but by no means harsh at all. Front end dive under heavy breaking is virtually eliminated, and squat under acceleration is greatly reduced. Around corners the car is FLAT, there’s nearly no body lean. You can easily toss the car around and it responds much quicker, feels like the car weighs half as much. When cruising down normal roads the ride isn’t bad at all, I don’t think a passenger would realize anything different. There is more road noise transmitted, but that’s to be expected, and totally worth the handling. I bought this spring as a performance spring, not a drop spring, and it has done just that, if the springs settle a little lower then that’s just an added bonus.

#5 ·
For those who are interested, the Pedders springs don’t rely on coil bind like most other springs. With other springs, especially in the rear springs, you have a bunch of dead coils touching eachother stacked up on the bottom. They usually have only a few active coils that are actually working. Below are pictures of the Pedders on my car, with the suspension fully loaded. You’ll realize that up front, and even in the back there are no dead coils. I have about 5 active coils in the rear, as opposed to most other brands of springs where you’ll have 1-3. This lets the whole spring be used, which keeps the ride from getting too harsh as more coils bind, allows you to keep a range of travel in your suspension, and isn’t as bouncy.

Also, here’s my next project I’m going to be working on, as well as upgrading my HIDs to 55w for my lows.

#6 ·
I finally had some time to throw on my Brembos! And lots of pictures for you guys!

If any of you need 5mm spacers definetely pick these up cuz theyre a steal, got them for $72 for all four from crate engine depot. Needed them so my rims would clear the calipers.

Heres the calipers primed after I sanded them down

And then shot them with blue metallic

Heres all dry after the clear coat, love how the color came out!

And then after I applied the decals

Laying with the rotors, painted the hats and edges so they wouldnt rust up on me

Also shot some paint onto the spacers since I still had some leftover

And finally some pics of the finished product...

Basically after burnishing the pads and rotors and taking these bad boys for a drive, all I gotta say is that theyre amazing! My old rotors were warped pretty badly so anything is an improvement, these new brakes are smooth as can be!

The OEM pads on these are great btw! Pad compound is Ferodo HP1000, same compound used on the CTS-V, Ferrari, and other high end cars. Although theyre a little dusty, they do some serious work!

Between the brembos, pads, and stainless brake lines the car literally stops on a dime! Definetely pick these up if you can!

#7 ·

#8 ·
Thats all I got for ya now, Ill update it more as the mods come, hope you enjoy!

#10 ·
Definetely do it! Brembos were a great upgrade, and ill never have to worry about warped rotors again... If you get the brembos though definetely get the OEM pads and dont settle for anything less :D with everything the pedal is rock solid and stops on a dime!

#13 ·
You can get them from places like crate engine depot and gm parts direct, but I just camped out the cobalt forums and got everything brand new shipped for 550, it was a steal!

#15 ·
I went with the stock Ferodo pads, theyre dusty and squeel before they warm up but man do they stop!

Did you cover the backing plates in anti squeel, including between the shim and backing plate?

Cermanic pads usually dont squeel as bad, but I have a feeling any pad for the brembos is gonna squeel a little as I would think theyre gonna be a more performance oriented pad. If you dont want the stock ones id look into hawk pads, particularly the hps series or their ceramic ones.

#16 ·
Check out what came in the mail this weekend...

#21 ·
^^^ Yup that's where I got mine from!

#22 ·
Couple updates from the last couple weeks...

I put the Konis on the rear end of the car now! Theyre awesome! Havent put the fronts on yet but will be in the coming weeks. But even with them on the rear end the difference is huge! The rear end feels much more planted and controlled cant wait to see what its like with the fronts. But heres a couple pics...

Also for those that wanted to see how my pedders springs have settled I snapped another pic. Definetely not the lowest, but they got rid of excessive wheel gap above the wheels and it looks much better. I like them because theyre not super low, so I still have a decent amount of wheel travel and didnt jack up the suspension geometry to bad...

And finally I grab a clip of the exhaust, broken in for about 5000 miles. Sorry for the bad video quality but its all I had at the moment. Nice deep tone, no rasp and no ricer sound...

Broken in...

Brand new...

#23 ·
Hey, Nice progress, so I was looking at these, just the calipers and was wondering was there anything you had trouble with since they are for the cobalt, or were they fairly straight forward? and btw i LOVE the paint on them, that is sick, howd you keep the Brembo so good?

#24 ·
Nope the calipers bolt right on like stock, the steering knuckles are almost identical between a G6 and a Cobalt. As for the logo, its a vinyl decal that I stuck on when I was finished painting... Off the top of my head, if you were interested in the Brembos you would need the calipers, rotors, pads, and pin kit. I also put on stainless braided brake lines and my brakes are awesome now!

#25 ·
Awesome, Thx for the tip! I am looking into the Brembo calipers, but i think im gunna go with different rotors (just more for visual sake aha) i want drilled and i think im getting red rotors, there kinda sick. Uneeded aha but pretty sweet!

http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/2006_9999_g6/brakes/rotors/chrome_brakes/chro00004886.html

do you know of any calipers for the rear? I Found these but maybe the cobalt has brembo rear ones too?

http://www.buybrakes.com/p-1022-power-stop-1-click-performance-brake-kit-with-calipers.aspx

#26 ·
I stay away from drilled rotors as the rotors have a tendency to crack at the holes. Keep in mind if you get the red rotors all the paint will wear off the rotor the first time you apply the brakes and it will on remain on the hat near the center.

Don't really need a brake upgrade in the rear though as the fronts do most of the braking. Cobalts don't have brembos in the rear, they have a caliper similar to our rear one. It has a little bit larger rotor, but like I said the rears do almost no work so its not worth the money in my opinion. Also the link you posted for the rear calipers, those are just used stock calipers that have been rebuilt and painted, so not really an upgrade

#27 ·
Yeah, ik about the paint ware, but i still think that they would be cool, but who knows maybe ill just get the brembo kit. As for the rear i just wanted my calipers to match, ik only 30% of breaking is done in the rear, however, are you sure that the link is the stock calipers? I thought that the stock G6 calipers are single piston, and these ones are duo, maybe im mistaken, again im no expert but that was what i thought.

#29 · (Edited)
Got my Konis installed several weeks ago and they are awesome!

How-To for the install right here Clicky

Front...

Rear...

#34 ·
Not sure yet, maybe some stiffer rear springs... Also got some recessed grills that I haven't put in yet

#39 ·
Yeah its something I need to play around with but probably won't until the spring when it warms up a bit more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.