High mileage G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
musicman8120

Gallery: 0
musicman8120 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman8120
High mileage G6

Just had my '06 GTP coupe in the tire shop for rotation and balance of the tires, and was told that both front struts are leaking oil and the left front ball joint is shot, to the point where they cannot align the car without replacing it ( $ 471.00 ). Explains why the front end has gotten so loose. This has to be one of the worst front end setups I've ever had ( steering rack and intermediate shaft both replaced previously ). I have just over 62,000 on the odometer. I know that's high mileage, but seems that the components should hold up a little better than that, especially since virtually all those miles are on the turnpike. Will be taking it in on Friday to the dealer to see if they might replace them under my 80K extended warranty.

On a good note, the Goodyear F1 Allseason tires are holding up well and continue to impress me.
musicman8120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
Kman
Designed For Action

Gallery: 4
Kman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman8120 View Post
Just had my '06 GTP coupe in the tire shop for rotation and balance of the tires, and was told that both front struts are leaking oil and the left front ball joint is shot, to the point where they cannot align the car without replacing it ( $ 471.00 ). Explains why the front end has gotten so loose. This has to be one of the worst front end setups I've ever had ( steering rack and intermediate shaft both replaced previously ). I have just over 62,000 on the odometer. I know that's high mileage, but seems that the components should hold up a little better than that, especially since virtually all those miles are on the turnpike. Will be taking it in on Friday to the dealer to see if they might replace them under my 80K extended warranty.

On a good note, the Goodyear F1 Allseason tires are holding up well and continue to impress me.
Wow, that's a lot of mileage. I hope all of the problems are resolved.

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
musicman8120

musicman8120 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to musicman8120
Well, the Pontiac dealer confirmed that the stuts are worn out and they will replace them under the extended warranty, but three mechanics looked at the ball joints and concur that they are fine. Hopefully the strut replacement will eliminate the tendency to jump around when hitting bumps on the road. We'll see.
musicman8120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
vickali

vickali is on a distinguished road
My car does the same thing, i.e., jumps around when hitting bumps on road. Why is it doing that? Do I need to take it to the shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman8120 View Post
Well, the Pontiac dealer confirmed that the stuts are worn out and they will replace them under the extended warranty, but three mechanics looked at the ball joints and concur that they are fine. Hopefully the strut replacement will eliminate the tendency to jump around when hitting bumps on the road. We'll see.
vickali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance