Check Gas Cap Aler - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
kevilution
New Owner

Gallery: 0
kevilution is on a distinguished road
"Check Gas Cap" Alert

Just recently I've been getting a Check Gas Cap alert on my computer display. This happens every time the car is started and won't go away. The gas cap is screwed in securely and the lid is closed with no change. What's going on?!

-Kevin

Last edited by Fusion; 07-14-2008 at 10:06 AM.
kevilution is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
geewhiz
Lifetime Member

Gallery: 9
geewhiz is on a distinguished road
Do you think that this is something that simply needs to be acknowledged? The same way the “change oil” indicator shows up.
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
kevilution
New Owner

kevilution is on a distinguished road
A problem, no. Annoying, yes. Anyways, it stopped showing up after 30ish starts of the car.
kevilution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
geewhiz
Lifetime Member

Gallery: 9
geewhiz is on a distinguished road
You know, a hammer can fix that so it never comes on again.
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #5
Fusion

Fusion is on a distinguished road
Mine has done that previously, but when it did give the alert, my gas cap was loose, and partially coming off. I don't know how that happens.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
beach

beach is on a distinguished road
Oddly, my 3 week old one did this twice too. First time the morning after I brought it home and was off to work "Ding, ding, ding...Check Gas Cap". Pulled over and checked it but it was already as tight as it should be.

Then a week later, at exactly the same distance down the road from home, same thing. This one I just ignored and I haven't seen the alert since.

The gas cap messages and/or check engine lights related to them can often take quite a few restarts to clear, at least with some other vehicles, so I don't know if someone just drove the car early on with it loose and set the code or what, but it seems fine now. Weird, regardless.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
colinpeddle

colinpeddle is on a distinguished road
When you fill up and put your gas cap back on you need to be sure it clicks like 4 times.

If you do the the code it'll take about a week or so for it to cycle thru the ECM and be clear. Usually there is a way to clear it in the car (starting the car with the ebrake on, going 100% on the brake a couple times, turning the wheel, turning off car, turning on car, turning off car, that kind of shit). If it is really annoying, buy a scan gauge to clear it yourself...... then return to where you bought it.
06 Red GTP Vert: 3" Stainless Mandrel Bent Magnaflow Exhaust - AEM CAI - Racingline Inserts - Quicklifts - Westers ECM/TCM Tune - Enkei Fn-18's on Kumho Ecsta SPT Ku31s - GMPD Strut Bar - Avic-F700bt - 20% Tints
colinpeddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 AM   #8
beach

Well after 3 times of it coming on, and the car--I swore--feeling a hair different when it did so (like stumbling, barely), they cleared the code. All was well for about 2 weeks, then Tuesday I felt the car seeming to studder as I pulled out of our street slightly and that "not right" feeling again only for the light to come on a 4th time.

They still don't know what, if anything, is going on because nothing ever happens when they have it. The cap is clicked at least 6-7 times (well aware of the loose cap issue, on any car) and yet this continues to happen, so I think there's another leak. Nothing found all day, hence I'm crazy again, so the service manager took the car for the night home to drive and see if anything presents itself. This gas thing alone is driving me nuts!
Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
beach

Great! I'm now up to SIX times of the alert coming on regardless of the cap (which is always tightened) AND the car runs oddly at the same time. After twice at the dealer for this and the second time them doing NOTHING because the alert wasn't on for them (it's only on for a minute at most as is...how the heck could I bet on it just turning on for them? Insane.).

Oh well. With this and other issues, I've started video taping while driving and caught it this morning followed by a call to Onstar just to have further record. Dealer is incapable apparently of doing more than a visual so it's one of the things I started a case with Pontiac over.

We'll see. Anyone else have it come on, oh, 6+ times and have a car not running on full fuel at the same time?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
ryangambrill

ryangambrill is on a distinguished road
I am having a similar problem as well. At times, the car stalls while at a light, and I get the message to check the gas cap.

Any thoughts?
ryangambrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #11
pmccann21

pmccann21 is on a distinguished road
have you had any luck with fixing your gas cap problem iam getting the same message now and im wondering what the best fix is ........
pmccann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
how olds your car? might be worth the 15 - 20 bucks to get a new one.

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Daniel

Daniel is on a distinguished road
Mine started doing this recently.
I took it off whiped it off with a rag around the seal and put it back on never happened since.
05 V6

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4230
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #14
nick125

nick125 is on a distinguished road
The EVAP monitoring system, which triggers the "Check Gas Cap" light, can detect a leak around 2mm..so, if the gasket on the gas cap has a small tear, it can trigger the light. It's cheap and easy to try a different gas cap if you're persistently getting this issue.

If that doesn't do the trick...well, it could possibly be an EVAP leak somewhere else. I remember reading on the Chevy Malibu forum about someone who was having the same issue... might be worth it to check it out.
nick125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
maykevin5
GTP 06

Gallery: 5
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
my old car would do that, I would notice a gas smell in the car on a hot day. I sold that car in the winter..
maykevin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions