horrible wheel noise!!! - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
SPRCUTE

Gallery: 6
SPRCUTE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SPRCUTE
horrible wheel noise!!!

So for the last week my car has been making a horrible noise by the front driver side. i believe its the wheel barring but not totally sure.... a person i know of had the same problem w his G6 yr 06. the barring has to be replaced and what not but afterwards his stearing became harder which i think has to do with the power stearing.

Anyways i took my car in today to have them fix it... what i want to know is if anyone else has had this problem... please let me know
SPRCUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
SPRCUTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRCUTE View Post
So for the last week my car has been making a horrible noise by the front driver side. i believe its the wheel barring but not totally sure.... a person i know of had the same problem w his G6 yr 06. the barring has to be replaced and what not but afterwards his stearing became harder which i think has to do with the power stearing.

Anyways i took my car in today to have them fix it... what i want to know is if anyone else has had this problem... please let me know
ok so i just got my car back but its not fixed... they told me that they drove it and of course with my luck didnt hear anything. if anyone else has experienced a flapping noise at the front driver side please let me know. thanks
Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
geewhiz
Lifetime Member

Gallery: 9
geewhiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPRCUTE View Post
if anyone else has experienced a flapping noise at the front driver side please let me know. thanks
I don't know if this is the same thing but here it goes; I did experience a flapping noise on the front drivers side. It was the splashguard under the fender. The guard was broken and as I sped up the wind caused the (broken) splashguard to flop around like a fish. The rubbing is what I heard and it sounded horrible like a bearing.
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
nat06g6v6

Gallery: 0
nat06g6v6 is on a distinguished road
I had a noise comming from my driver's side, i have a 06g6v6, it sounded like a klonk noise everytime a would turn my wheel, and it was my sterring collom.
nat06g6v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
SPRCUTE

well i took my car in because i couldnt stand the noise anymore, but it happens more when i go slow and the dummies at the car place couldnt fix it so i dunno what to do......
Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
largenj

largenj is on a distinguished road
Front End Noises

i have had the same noise in the drivers side front end for around 4,000 miles now. I have taken it to the place I bought it 3 times now and they have replaced the intermediate steering shaft, and linkage rods. However, the rattling noise is still present. It sounds like something close to the firewall hitting something. The noise goes away when I turn the steering wheel either way, The noise is only present when driving between 5-35 mph and going over bumps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!
largenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
AnnieM74

AnnieM74 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2006 G6 and it is going in the shop for the 4th time to get a new rack and pinion, new one lasts a month and then the clunking comes back when I turn...Know I got Gm involved cause I am furious.
AnnieM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
zachdog
gotta make it sick

zachdog is on a distinguished road
i have a noise and it sounds like a scratching noise.. i have a 07 v6...anyone have same noise.. its only now and then .. not that loud.. can only notice it when the radios not on.
zachdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
stephcorleone

stephcorleone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachdog View Post
i have a noise and it sounds like a scratching noise.. i have a 07 v6...anyone have same noise.. its only now and then .. not that loud.. can only notice it when the radios not on.
does it sound like it's coming more from the steering area? As in actually closer to the steering wheel than say the front end? My sister has an 07 and at some points the steering feels a little too tight (esp in comparison to mine) and then it also has this slight grinding/scratchy sound. I think you should have the dealer do an adjustment and whatnot and maybe the lube kit... they will do something, but who knows if it'll stay fixed.
stephcorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Asp86

Asp86 is on a distinguished road
I think I have the problem you speak of. It seems to do it when you first start driving. I hear like a clicking noise as the wheel spins on the driver side. I have no idea what could be causing it. It almost seems as if something is rubbing each time the wheel rotates.
Asp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
huerosd

Gallery: 5
huerosd is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem as well....it was a rainy day and i got cut off on a windy downhill street. I hit my brakes and started to fishtail, the road curves so i slammed into the curb at about 35 mph and damaged a rim, replaced the steering knuckle and control arm but there is still a rubbing noise. Any help would be great.
huerosd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
G6 Ewa beach

G6 Ewa beach is on a distinguished road
I got a 06 G6 and while I was deployed my wife had to replace the inner and outer Tie Rods. That got rid of the clunking noise when ever turnign the wheel. The Bushing was wore out and the tie rods were rusted. But now we got a new Issue. A "Humming" noise from the left front. The shop says Wheel bearing. Anyone also heard the Humming noise. ANy help would be nice. Thanks
G6 Ewa beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
Artic_07
Break My Wallet Tech

Artic_07 is on a distinguished road
A wheel bearing can usually be de bugged when the wheel is turned from side to side...
On BMWs that is one way to determine if it is and from which side.
The noise isn't heard one way, ok, but heard the other way, found! (the side that more force is applied).
Try that.

2007 GTP Sedan
1976 F-100
1969 F-100(in pieces)

Last edited by Artic_07; 02-26-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Artic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
JasonBST

JasonBST is on a distinguished road
Angry Wheel Noise

I took the tire off and found that my half shaft is the culprit for this noise. It sounds almost like something rubbing the tire but as a previous thread stated it was more towards the fire wall. It is in fact my half shaft. I am amazed that I am having to replace a half shaft at 61,000 miles. Yet another porrly built GM car. I have had NOTHING but trouble since day 1 with this car. 2006 G6GT Coupe -
JasonBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #15
dkliner

dkliner is on a distinguished road
Noise in Front Wheel Area Sounds Like Bearing

I believe I had the same noise at the right wheel area. I have a 2005 V6 G6. I only heard the noise when going 45 mph or faster. My thought was a wheel bearing. It lasted for about a month and now it has stopped. Last week I took my car to Firestone where I had new tires put on as I thought the right front wheel was out of balance due to vibration at 60+ mph. They told me the tires were fine but showed me where my rack & pinon is going out which they felt would also cause the popping noise when turning. I'm not so sure about that but we'll see. I have had the transmission replaced at 80k the power steering column mechanism was replaced under the extended recall. Fortunately I purchased an excellent after-market warranty and they paid for the transmission and will be paying for the rack and pinon and if I am correct in what I think they will find, also the struts as I believe the strut bearings are bad as well. I am also going to be filing my complaint with the BBB as instructed by another person here. I have already filed my complaint with the Government agency.
Good Luck
dkliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions > Steering Lockup Issues & Discussion