programming replacement key fob - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
ruthie2714

Gallery: 0
ruthie2714 is on a distinguished road
programming replacement key fob

Can anyone help me out. Both my key fobs took a dump. So i purchased some with the same part number on ebay. Now I need to know how to program them.....HELP PLEASE...
ruthie2714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
Lampoon
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Gallery: 40
Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
Only a dealership can program them (tech2). How nice is your service advisor??
Some do it for nothing and others will stab you and take your wallet & children.

My Progession
Lampoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
spaided

spaided is on a distinguished road
So just to be sure i am getting this right...If i have one functional Key Fob, i cannot program a second one myself. That seems pretty crappy, all my previous vehicle i could program them myself with sometimes a long process, but it works..thanks for all ya'lls help!
United States Air Force
spaided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
cmurphy725
` Colleen =)

Gallery: 1
cmurphy725 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to cmurphy725
Did you check your manual? Like Lampoon said, Im pretty sure the service department has to do it. Why dont you go back there and have it fixed, it will be under warranty and you wont have to pay for it.
cmurphy725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
agault

agault is on a distinguished road
I have never tried this, so take it for what it is but I came across this link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Program-GM-Keyless-Remotes

If you try, please let us know
agault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #6
Lampoon
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Gallery: 40
Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
Cheaper on eBay for the remote but I like the option to find a local
KeylessRide Locksmith Partner to program it for you....
Here

Good Find!!

My Progession
Lampoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
reyesr

reyesr is on a distinguished road
You know what I find interesting, when Pontiac dealerships were around I could buy a FOB from them for $45 bucks and this included programming... went to the local Chevy dealer and they want $129 for the dang thing. These things aren't that critical to me, it's my wife's car but she has gone through three so after the last one we decided it was just as easy to stick the key in the lock and turn it, takes half a second. The FOB's for these cars are cheap and break with little effort, I have a Dodge truck and a Volvo 960, we toss those keys around just like the Pontiac's and have never had to replace them, we love the car just gave up on the FOB's... my Suburban was the same way, GM needs to find a different company to make their FOB's.

Good luck on the programming, my experience was that you had to go to a dealer or find someone that knows how. I know on the BMW I had, I just had to point the FOB at the car, hold the lock button for ten seconds and it would program it that easy.

Last edited by reyesr; 04-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.
reyesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
HotJamzMana

HotJamzMana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesr View Post
You know what I find interesting, when Pontiac dealerships were around I could buy a FOB from them for $45 bucks and this included programming... went to the local Chevy dealer and they want $129 for the dang thing. These things aren't that critical to me, it's my wife's car but she has gone through three so after the last one we decided it was just as easy to stick the key in the lock and turn it, takes half a second. The FOB's for these cars are cheap and break with little effort, I have a Dodge truck and a Volvo 960, we toss those keys around just like the Pontiac's and have never had to replace them, we love the car just gave up on the FOB's... my Suburban was the same way, GM needs to find a different company to make their FOB's.

Good luck on the programming, my experience was that you had to go to a dealer or find someone that knows how. I know on the BMW I had, I just had to point the FOB at the car, hold the lock button for ten seconds and it would program it that easy.
I have tried to just use my key, but everytime I do it sets my alarm off. I have tried to change the settings, but can't seem to get it right. Do you know how I can change this so that I can just use my key?
HotJamzMana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
RLanois

RLanois is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthie2714 View Post
Can anyone help me out. Both my key fobs took a dump. So i purchased some with the same part number on ebay. Now I need to know how to program them.....HELP PLEASE...
You went the wqrong way. All you needed was to get the rubber pieces for the remotes, no programming. Try this website http://www.carandtruckremotes.com/pontiac-remotes.html. Pick only the correct rubber piece for your remote. Done! Cheap and effective. If you dont believe me check on some more of the posts on this site and find my posts and the replies I got from satisfied people.
RLanois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #10
tscow

tscow is on a distinguished road
It is impossible to program them, I also bought one on ebay, I took it to one dealership they wanted $80 to program it, So I took it to another dealership that laughed and said it was free and that they couldnt believe the other place wanted $80, So check around, they did it in literally 20 seconds for FREE
tscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
Abyssul
Moderator Member Thingy

Abyssul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscow View Post
It is impossible to program them, I also bought one on ebay, I took it to one dealership they wanted $80 to program it, So I took it to another dealership that laughed and said it was free and that they couldnt believe the other place wanted $80, So check around, they did it in literally 20 seconds for FREE
Good story. It is important to check various places since some dealerships plain out suck.

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #12
jschrader

jschrader is on a distinguished road
My key fob recently went out, and I bought a new one on E-Bay for $13.75. I called around and got some outrageous quotes to re-program it, one dealer wanted $80!! I found a local locksmith that does it for $35. It's too bad you can't program them yourself. I found that wiki site and wondered if anyone has successfully programmed it themselves?

I think when I get my remote I may try just replacing the rubber part and see if it works.
jschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
slls

slls is on a distinguished road
Just take the parts off the new and fix the old one, no programming.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
greenman
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

greenman is on a distinguished road
google keylessfix
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
jschrader

jschrader is on a distinguished road
I looked inside the key fob and the connector that holds the battery came apart from the circuit board. I swapped it out on the other fob and it is working as of now!
jschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions