SVC Tire Monitor? - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Mr Funkhouser
Awesome

Gallery: 0
Mr Funkhouser is on a distinguished road
Unhappy SVC Tire Monitor?

Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

Thanks and I hope you all have an awesome day!

- Christiaan

Last edited by Mr Funkhouser; 03-10-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: (I added the question about another thread)
Mr Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
geewhiz
Lifetime Member

Gallery: 9
geewhiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funkhouser View Post
Hey everyone!

I just got my 2008 Pontiac G6 basic 4 door with a 2.4 three weeks ago. It's got a little over 29,000 miles on it. It's my first American made car since my Mustang I got a little over 4 years ago. (Since then I've had Japanese and Korean cars)

This afternoon when I started my car, on the info display center told me that I needed to SVC Tire Monitor. The little light on the dash came on and according to the owners manual it said that one of my tires was at a dangerously low level (this is not quite the case the tires are between 30 - 35).

I would just add air to the tires, but when the info display center has "SVC Tire Monitor", I'm not sure if I should just take it to the dealership or if this is something that GM has put into the car to make sure I do my 30K Check up.

Has anyone else come across this problem before or have any advice (or maybe another thread where this is addressed?)

(This is my first car less than 5 years old and I'm very excited and impressed with Pontiac, but I'm afraid all the technology and random features will really be more of a stumbling block than a help).

- Christiaan

I don't have that feature. Welcome to G6owners club, BTW.
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Artic_07
Break My Wallet Tech

Artic_07 is on a distinguished road
TPMs, or pressure monitors can activate under cold weather conditions, it could also be from a faulty sensor or cpu.
Just some information to pass along..

It would not hurt to check with your dealer either...

2007 GTP Sedan
1976 F-100
1969 F-100(in pieces)
Artic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
maxtorqe

maxtorqe is on a distinguished road
Tpms

We have a 2007 G6 GT. I have checked the manual and inspected the rims. I cannot find any references to TPMS of any kind. Does any know which models and/or years that TPMS became a standard feature?
Some GM models use a passive system that relies on the ABS sensors to determine rotational differences, others use a direct system which uses wheel mounted sensors, usually a part of the valve stem (which is why most use stainless steel valve stems).
For all the hype that Chevy makes about the use of TPMS on their models, you'd think GM would deploy it on every make and model like air bags.
I thoughts the Federal Government mandated the use of TPMS on every passenger vehicle by a certain date as a result of the Ford/Firestone debacle?
maxtorqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Artic_07
Break My Wallet Tech

Artic_07 is on a distinguished road
I know on 08 gt they were available.

2007 GTP Sedan
1976 F-100
1969 F-100(in pieces)
Artic_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
TomCat

TomCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Tire Pressure Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funkhouser View Post
Hey everyone!

- Christiaan
Check your owners manual. There should be a procedure to reset the system.
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
mrslcom

mrslcom is on a distinguished road
The old system GM used were trouble-prone and inaccurate, so they got rid of it and now uses a more sophisticated system which became standard equipment from 2008 on.

The resetting procedure is quite complicated as outlined in the owner's manual. You can try resetting it yourself or take it to the dealer and have them check it out. The TPMS is a separate system and has nothing to do with the regular maintenance interval of the vehicle.
mrslcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
cdorfner

cdorfner is on a distinguished road
I have had several issues with the Tire Pressure monitor. I purchased new snow tires, new rims, and had sensors added, so I would not have to deal with the reset issue everytime I had my tires changed. When I had the snows put on in November, I left the dealership, to have the light come on after about 30 miles. I took it in, they reset it, all was good. Until just last week, I had my summer tires put back on, and I've had to take the car in 2 times to reset the tpms system. The service people do not know why this is happening.
cdorfner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
maykevin5
GTP 06

Gallery: 5
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
I know they can act up if the battery is low in the sensor, or if someone has put fix-a-flat in the tire, it clogs up the ports in the sensor.
maykevin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
bntrbl

bntrbl is on a distinguished road
Talking SVC Monitor

Hello, I have an '09 g6 gt coupe, i just had an oil change and the 6,000 mile tire rotation, they didn't reset the SVC monitors. I reset them myself (pretty easy) but the tire pressure wil not appear. Do i need to put air back into them? I reset the pressures to recomendation but they won't show on the readout, just dashes showing. Can anyone help?
Thanx.
bntrbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
SlushyButterfly

SlushyButterfly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to SlushyButterfly
hey guys! I recently got a 08 g6, got new winter tires put on yesterday and OH! what do you know SVC tire monitor light monitor comes on.. Im going to check out my manual and try to reset this myself! thanks for all the feedback!
SlushyButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Handle It! - Suspension, Wheel and Tire Modifications