Squeaky Steering Wheel - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
susa320

Gallery: 0
susa320 is on a distinguished road
Squeaky Steering Wheel

I have a 2007 G6, 3.5L...already had the intermediate shaft greased for front end noise. No more clunking when turning.

Now 6 months later I have a squeak in the steering wheel itself only when turning. It even does it when the car is turned off and in Park. Sounds like it is coming from the clam shell looking thing that encases the steering wheel.

This started intermittently this winter and on sub zero days only (I'm in IL)...now that it's warm, it's almost constant. Sounds like something rubbing...plastic or rubber squeaking sound.

Is there a rubber grommet or something in there that may have expanded and is cracked or something from the cold and now needs replaced or better yet a just shot of WD?

Thanks in Advance ~ Susa
susa320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Lampoon
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Gallery: 40
Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
They prolly didnt put it back together right and its rubbing.
Take it back to em.

My Progession
Lampoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
susa320

Hmmm....they didn't take the steering column out tho, just greased the I-shaft, took all but 10 minutes. It was just clunking under car when turning before. No more clunking.

No noise on outside of car, just the steering wheel itself squeaky inside the car. I'm getting ready to check along the column inside it and see if I can't find something.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Big Red

Big Red is on a distinguished road
We have a 2007 coupe and last year the steering wheel began to squeek when we turned to the left. Dealer took the wheel apart and could not fix. Mechanic said he had run across this before in non g6's and no matter what he tried he could not make it go away. He said there is a belt in the wheel that goes across, I think a shaft and that is the problem. I joined the owner's club today to see if anyone had a solution. The noise varies but does not go away. I will try the dealer again and check other GM sites.
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Kearnel

Gallery: 3
Kearnel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kearnel
My Sunfire did that alot when it was warm out but not much in the cold it was just the back of the steering wheel rubbing on the cover behind it, i just put a little grease back there and presto, all quiet.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
susa320

Mine seemed to start doing it more now when it's wet. After a car wash or when it's raining. I bought some "Jig a Loo" spray lube...it's a silicon type and it has helped. Good Stuff.

I sprayed it where the column comes in the inside part of the firewall. There is a dense, grey sponge type material around the boot there (like the stuff they pack electronics in) that was even squeaky when you ran your finger over it.(like fingernails on a chalk board) And it has worked so far. Clean, not greasy.

The dealer said there really isn't much you can do do about it. Just had it in for brakes and crankshaft seal and they said there is really no places to grease it under there. I thought at first it was inside the steering wheel itself, but narrowed it down to there. They do a pretty good job checking everything out.

Shame, GM is doing away with Pontiac. I really do like my G6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions