Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Starting Struggle

19K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  KB G6 
#1 ·
Usually at least once a week my G6 GT acts like it's struggling to start. I have taken it to the dealership and they reprogrammed the computer and it is still doing it. Has anyone else experienced this problem? :confused:

#4 ·
I've noticed this too a couple times so it must not be limited to the 3500's. I seem to have eliminated it (so far) by turning the key to acc and letting it sit there for a few seconds before I turn it to start. Gives the fuel pump time to prime. So far it seems to have gone away.

#6 ·
MP2 said:
I've noticed this too a couple times so it must not be limited to the 3500's. I seem to have eliminated it (so far) by turning the key to acc and letting it sit there for a few seconds before I turn it to start. Gives the fuel pump time to prime. So far it seems to have gone away.
Thanks, I'll try this. At this point I'll try anything because it's really embarrassing!!

#9 ·
I just made an appt. to bring my G6 in with that starting problem! Noticed that it's rough putting the key in sometimes - I see black dust, in the grooves of the key - maybe it's dirty inside, on top of the ignition/starter problem - really hope it's not going to be a recurrent thing - car is barely 6 months old.

#12 ·
This is kinda funny... i started my car as i was leaving work last night and walked to the car. Then I put the key in and turned it (while still running) and it stumbled and died. Score.

After I started it up again it was idling pretty rough. No clue what that was all about.

#14 ·
Perhaps a reason...

Mine has done this in the past and on occasion recently. As someone stated it mostly is happening for them during remote start.

Next time you get in your car make sure your radio and a/c are off, not because of the issue because of the noise. Then when you turn your key to the on position you will hear the fuel pump running. My theory, and it is just that, it has not fully primed the system to enable a full start. I know my car does that on occasion with remote start. It has also done it when it has been sitting for any length of time as well not start for a day or two.

On the odd occasion that it does it when the engine is semi-warm or just started and turned off it might be a hard start because of flooding. All items that can be corrected with a computer update and sensor setting.

Again these are just theories from my own expirences and car, take them for that and with a grain of salt as I am not an auto mechanic. :D

Cheers!

Wolfie

#16 ·
Mine to

I have the 3.5 L and every once and a while it well take twice as long as it should to start. It sounds like the car is cranking but not getting gas. It mostly does it when I remote start the car. I also live in AZ and it gets to be around 110 degrees here. The dealership says sometimes the gas in the lines evaporates and the fuel pump has to push more fuel threw the line. When I start the car with the key I have had very few problems.

#18 ·
sleepless said:
The G6 has a start ass, wich means that if the computer thinks your car will not start after you let go of the key, the computer will keep starting until the car is runing. When this is going on it does sound rough.
Yeah, this is basically what the repair guys at the dealership told me when I took it in for an oil change. It happens to me, but rarely. They said another car has been like this for a while, maybe the Grand Prixs, I don't remember.

#19 ·
What's most interesting is that all the cars I've driven with remote start strugles have been on the Epsilon platform (Malibu's, G6's). My G6 4-cyl did this too, maybe 40% of the time it actually worked the first shot, and 60% the second attempt. Now all the Delta platform cars that I've driven, including the Chevy HHR I currently own, have NEVER had a remote start struggle/problem! That leads me to believe there's something in the software on Epsilon's that's not quite tweaked properly. Since it happened every now and again with the key too, it's hard to say whether it's the auto-start logic or possibly the design of the fuel system that's allowing a substantial amount of drainback into the tank. The orientation of the car (level, on hill nose up or nose down) doesn't seem to have any effect on when the problem occurs.

#20 · (Edited)
Mine does it too (not using the remote start) along with a bunch of other problems. I am NOT very happy with my G6.

Besides it struggling to start 40% of the time, It also dies while i'm driving, or stopped. At one point, I was on a highway and it shut off by itself. I had to stop in the middle of the highway, put it in park and restart it. Very dangerous.

Also, i'm always getting loud static noise in my speakers or else the sound just doesn't work.

I've taken it into the dealership 3 times and they can not find the problem. I now have a "black box" hooked up to the computer so whenever the problem arises, I hit a button and it records what the car is doing at that point.

#23 ·
I had my wifes car looked at for this problem. The dealership found the pressure regulator was flaky in the tank. They where getting flaky fuel pressure readings. i know gm 1/2 ton pickups with the 5.3L are notorious for having failing pressure regulators(my 2000 silverado did the same thing)
Personally if your mechanic or dealer tells you its normal or deal with it tell them bye bye and find a new dealer that will actually troubleshoot the problem. The car sat at the dealer all day when they found that problem and a few others.

#26 ·
Fuel pump pressure regulator was replaced no starting problems yet. Intermediate steering shaft and power steering module replaced. Steering is no normal. This past weekend we looked at a 06 GP GXP stealer let us keep it for the weekend. Sweet car had everything but dvd nav. Tooo bad stealer wouldn't budge on the price...oh well as long as the G6 runs well and continue to fall apart it'll stay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.