Help with Camshaft Position Sensors - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
jpopson43

Gallery: 0
jpopson43 is on a distinguished road
Help with Camshaft Position Sensors

Hello, I have a 2007 G6 2.4L. Lately my car has been bogging down with a loss of power, and doesn't seem to shift smoothly. My friend used his scan tool and said the car was throwing a code for a cam sensor. I then find out that the car actually has TWO camshaft position sensors, yet I can only locate the one right on top of the engine under the plastic cover. The parts store I called is telling me there are two on this car, yet can't tell me where they are located. Does anyone know if there are actually two, and if so, where the other is located?? I great appreciate any responses. Thanks!
jpopson43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
daygon

daygon is on a distinguished road
call the parts department of the local GM dealer
daygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
sly fox

sly fox is on a distinguished road
Did you ever find out where the second sensor is located? Also does the computer have to have a crankcase relearn when these sensors are replaced? I know on my grand am it has to have one anytime a crank or cam sensor is replaced.
sly fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
XLNDRVR

XLNDRVR is on a distinguished road
The intake (INT) and exhaust (EXH) sensors are both located side-by-side on the top passenger side of the engine, under the plastic cover.

Replacing the intake sensor eliminated the hard shifting on our 2.4L 2006 G6. Still have a lack of power, though. Engine light is back on, so I need to check codes again to determine next step. Perhaps the exhaust sensor is faulty, as well.

Replacing one of these sensors is a 5 minute job.
XLNDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
jameschaseoliver
Where is it now???

jameschaseoliver is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to jameschaseoliver
Where exactly is the camshaft sensor, i think my sensor is giving me problems. Same issues and the code P0011
jameschaseoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
slls

slls is on a distinguished road
I read there is a wiring issue with the sensors.
slls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
mjmike63

mjmike63 is on a distinguished road
camshaft position sensors

According to manual 2008 G6 2.4l camshaft position sensors are on drivers side of engine mounted sideways in head with plug extended out towards driver’s side. see attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cps.jpg
Views:	4426
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	1373  
mjmike63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
XLNDRVR

XLNDRVR is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNDRVR View Post
The intake (INT) and exhaust (EXH) sensors are both located side-by-side on the top passenger side of the engine, under the plastic cover.

Replacing the intake sensor eliminated the hard shifting on our 2.4L 2006 G6. Still have a lack of power, though. Engine light is back on, so I need to check codes again to determine next step. Perhaps the exhaust sensor is faulty, as well.

Replacing one of these sensors is a 5 minute job.
Follow-up: Cat Conv also needed to be replaced. Remember, by law, emmisions components are covered to 80,000 miles on all cars. Problems resolved.
XLNDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
reverttheclown

reverttheclown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLNDRVR View Post
Follow-up: Cat Conv also needed to be replaced. Remember, by law, emmisions components are covered to 80,000 miles on all cars. Problems resolved.
whats this?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
jpopson43

It's been awhile, but we had to replace several things to get the car going back to normal again. We replaced both cam sensors, and that didn't fix it! We then took it to the dealer and found out that both the injectors and the catalytic converter were bad. The mechanic told me it was common on these that the injectors clog up and go bad and then make the catalytic converter go bad as well. The injectors were no longer under warranty, but the catalytic converter was. The dealer said they would do it all for free though since it was a known issue with GM. They also replaced my intermediate steering shaft for the SECOND time even though the warranty was up on it. I've had SO many issues with this car before 50,000 miles it isn't even funny!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
slls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopson43 View Post
It's been awhile, but we had to replace several things to get the car going back to normal again. We replaced both cam sensors, and that didn't fix it! We then took it to the dealer and found out that both the injectors and the catalytic converter were bad. The mechanic told me it was common on these that the injectors clog up and go bad and then make the catalytic converter go bad as well. The injectors were no longer under warranty, but the catalytic converter was. The dealer said they would do it all for free though since it was a known issue with GM. They also replaced my intermediate steering shaft for the SECOND time even though the warranty was up on it. I've had SO many issues with this car before 50,000 miles it isn't even funny!
The power train warranty from 2007-2009 include this. 5 year 100K

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

Not included for 2010, your dealer is BSing you.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
jpopson43

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
The power train warranty from 2007-2009 include this. 5 year 100K

1) The entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, lines, fuel rail, injectors and return line.

Not included for 2010, your dealer is BSing you.

It says right in my owner's manual that the power train warranty is only 5 year, 60,000 miles...and that's what two dealers have told me. Though, I didn't know that the injectors were covered under power train...so apparently they were still covered and they were BSing me...because the car only had like 49,000 when we had this done.

Just out of curiosity where did you find this 100,000 mile warranty info? Only doubting it because, like I said, my manual clearly only says 60,000 for power train.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #13
slls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpopson43 View Post
It says right in my owner's manual that the power train warranty is only 5 year, 60,000 miles...and that's what two dealers have told me. Though, I didn't know that the injectors were covered under power train...so apparently they were still covered and they were BSing me...because the car only had like 49,000 when we had this done.

Just out of curiosity where did you find this 100,000 mile warranty info? Only doubting it because, like I said, my manual clearly only says 60,000 for power train.
Here is where I got it. Both are good reads.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/general-...-warranty.html

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/gm-...year-warranty/
Old 09-13-2010, 10:26 AM   #14
jpopson43

Oh ok, so it seems that this is something that GM released after I purchased my car, and it will roll back and be active on my car. Thanks for the information...and that's awesome to know that the dealer was bullshitting me!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
slls

Glad to help. Just remember, google is your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions