3.5L 07 G6 V6 - Low coolant? - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
saberz

Gallery: 0
saberz is on a distinguished road
3.5L 07 G6 V6 - Low coolant?

I've searched and read the threads on Coolant Loss but generally speaking is it normal for the vehicle to lose coolant? I'm half way from the fill line on my G6. I didn't notice it when I looked at the car for purchase and am kinda worried. Its an 07 with only 31k miles on it.

I'm going to top it up after work and watch it closely, any specifics on what I should check besides the hoses and looking for sludgy goo around the intake manifold? I heard about the water pump but any way to tell if thats the cause?
saberz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #2
360ci

Gallery: 13
360ci is on a distinguished road
Coolant should never be filled to the top of the reservoir, it should be kept between the fill and full marks. Just like engine oil; filling it to the max causes the engine to work harder, and unless you burn through oil, it's not necessary to fill it all the way up.

Just keep an eye on the level for now. I don't have any problems with my '06 GT as far as coolant goes.
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
legalcat

legalcat is on a distinguished road
Hi there, check out my thread of a coolant problem I had:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6710
legalcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
saberz

Well, I didn't fill it up all the way, I added coolant to the Cold Line it should be at. A few days later I checked up on it and it was all gone and I heard water sloshing around. I also noticed my hoses under the tank were soaked with coolant. So I filled it up again, and drove home from work(where I checked it). Got home and popped the hood, turned the car off(this is a good test to do, but please be careful). This is to check if your tank/drain hose is the cause.

Car off, pressure build up in the reservoir tank, I slowly unscrew the tank cap(slow so you can hear it depressurize little by little. As its doing this coolant begins to pour from the bottom of tank where the quasi wet dexcool is covering the hoses from previous leaking. So It's coming from the bottom of the tank, not sure if its the tank or the hose but I went onto Amazon and bought a new tank and cap for $38 shipped. I'll tackle this and let you guys know how it goes or any of my other findings.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
Lampoon
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Gallery: 40
Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
There was a guy from Texas who did the same thing. Replaced the tank and all was well.
I dont know what ruptured it....he dissappeared from the forums though.

One of those guys who only comes around when there is a problem. lol

My Progession
Lampoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
saberz

I'll be here, I float around only this site, G6performance and Bobistheoilguy so every night I usually hit each site. I'll post up my results though. I did take a quick video of underneath the tank and it looks like there is a sensor that is unplugged, but I couldn't find the wire for it(maybe its not standard on all g6's) and there is a hole/drain hole with no plug either. I'll try to upload it.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4443/0524101635.mp4

I see lots of coolant/wet coolant by the hole though. Not clear enough to look for cracks or to check the hose.

Last edited by saberz; 05-25-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
saberz

Ok, received the replacement tank and cap yesterday. Took about an hour but I did the swap, made sure everything was nice and snug. Filled tank with Dex-cool and drove the car around for about 15-20 minutes, pulled back into the garage and found no loss of coolant. Usually turning off the car and turning it on would result in drips. These are no longer occuring. Left the vehicle in the garage for about 3 - 4 hours and went to leave. As I am pulling out of the garage I hear the water sloshing sound through the dash(heater core) again. Pop the hood and I'm low on coolant. Figure its possibly from air being in the system so I left it alone to fully cool off over night.

This morning I have the same amount of coolant as I did before the swap(barely any) and added top up. There are no wet marks or leaks anywhere I worked so I took care of that. I read that the water pump would cause the tank to spit coolant out like mine was, so I think it may be my next target. I did notice recently(before the change) my car was starting to make puddles, but a pump going bad at 31k? I am reluctant to take it to the dealer because things may or may not be covered under warranty and dealer fee's are killer.
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
saberz

After that last post fill up, it has been stable, so it may have just been air in the system. $38 for a repair = not bad!
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
CAMZ5000
Ϊ ẠΜ ǺΜح

CAMZ5000 is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem wen i got mine it turned out to be the water pump
CAMZ5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
saberz

Yeah sad to say since winter started I noticed the tank dropped an 1/8th or so. Topped it off again but this time no swooshing/sloshing sound from the heatercore.

Im gonna wait till spring to take a good look, might be the rad or the pump. Top it off my wife's Grand AM needs CV's, brakes/rotors and another wiper motor(2nd one is less than 8 months old). Cheap cheap chinese aftermarket motors. Going OEM or pulling a junkyard one lol.
+08 G6 Headunit w/Aux
+Mobil 1 5w30
Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
360ci

Gallery: 13
360ci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMZ5000 View Post
i had the same problem wen i got mine it turned out to be the water pump
Curious to know if you know, or if anyone else knows; is the coolant pump an aluminum unit?
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance