Install Auxillary Input - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #1
sccrismylife

Gallery: 0
sccrismylife is on a distinguished road
Install Auxillary Input

I own a 2007 Pontiac G6 and since 08's started having the AUX input I'm trying to find a less expensive alternative to replacing the stereo head unit and loosing the car information display while still maintaining the quality of an AUX input. My G6 has the standard radio, no CD changer or Satellite radio. Does anyone know if there is an adapter for the back of the factory stereo unit like Best Buy has that would work or any other suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Last edited by sccrismylife; 06-15-2010 at 04:41 PM.
sccrismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
waterfowler76

Gallery: 16
waterfowler76 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
here ya go. click

Waterfowler's 6
waterfowler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
dwhiteg6gt
WHITE G6 GT (:

dwhiteg6gt is on a distinguished road
I was so PISSED when I found out that these cars didn't have a AUX until 08-higher. My gf Cobalt SS 2007 has it. Unbelievable! But anyways, good-luck and buy this for the cheapest/fastest way.

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon

*NOTE* If you scroll down on one of those pages you can see that all 3 can be bought together as a package to save you some MULA! Enjoy.

Dillon
dwhiteg6gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
sccrismylife

Thanks for the links, I wanna avoid any kind of FM transmitter as much as possible. I think me and my brother are going to try to find an 08+ head unit and see if we can install it and have the dealer set it to my car's VIN. We'll see what happens...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

MattInSoCal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccrismylife View Post
Thanks for the links, I wanna avoid any kind of FM transmitter as much as possible. I think me and my brother are going to try to find an 08+ head unit and see if we can install it and have the dealer set it to my car's VIN. We'll see what happens...
There was someone on G6Performance that was modifying the older HUs to add a front=panel AUX input. You pull your radio, ship it to him, and get it back in a week or so. Between the costs for shipping and the mod, you might be better off getting one of the UPAC-GM11 variations (Google it). You can either get the iPod/Aux input, or Dual Aux input version. Note that this does require that your radio be XM-capable, whether or not you have XM in the car. My UPAC-GM11 is supposed to arrive tomorrow...

If you did go with the modulator, you can avoid pulling the HU and having to buy an antenna adapter. Behind the left dash trim panel (you'd have to remove it in one of the first few steps to pull the radio) is an plug and socket for the radio antenna with standard connectors. All you'd have to do is get power up there if you wanted to install a modulator in that place.

~ MattInSoCal
MattInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
sccrismylife

I think my car has the lowest grade head unit, I do not know if it has a XM slot but it has no Band or Ptype button just the am/fm/cd button so any modulator wont work from the sites i've found.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sccrismylife View Post
I think my car has the lowest grade head unit, I do not know if it has a XM slot but it has no Band or Ptype button just the am/fm/cd button so any modulator wont work from the sites i've found.
A modulator will work because it is a tiny FM radio transmitter. You tune your radio to whatever frequency the modulator works on, and there ya go.

Having no Band button means the UPAC-GM11 wouldn't work for you, nor would the modification that was being performed by the G6P member.

Your only options are to use a modulator or swap head units for a newer model, which will require you to visit a dealer to get the unit reprogrammed to match your VIN.

~ MattInSoCal
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #8
maykevin5
GTP 06

Gallery: 5
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
ya that sucks because the UPAC is awesome. I now have Ipod, RCA, 3.5 Jack
maykevin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #9
jcl

jcl is on a distinguished road
Hey I have a 2005 G6. It has the band button of course and a 6 CD-changer built in it. But it does not have xm satellite. I'm trying to figure out if uPAC-GM11B will work for it does anyone know?
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Hey I have a 2005 G6. It has the band button of course and a 6 CD-changer built in it. But it does not have xm satellite. I'm trying to figure out if uPAC-GM11B will work for it does anyone know?
It needs to be a satellite *capable* radio but does not require it to be actually fitted to your vehicle.

~ MattInSoCal
Old 06-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
jcl

Are they all capable? I mean how do I tell if it's capable.

I did call PAC and the guy said that as long as it has band button even though I only get AM/FM/FM2 options it would still work.

Last edited by jcl; 06-26-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

Quote:
Are they all capable? I mean how do I tell if it's capable.

I did call PAC and the guy said that as long as it has band button even though I only get AM/FM/FM2 options it would still work.
Well there ya go. Those are the guys that know how their device works.

I'm putting my PAC in either today or tomorrow, if I can stop feeling like a lazy bastiche. I'll try to take pictures of the steps that aren't already documented (i.e. there are already plenty of writeups for how to take the dash apart).

~ MattInSoCal
Old 06-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #13
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

OK, I got the interface in and wired. Connecting it to the radio is almost painless. Figuring out where to route the cables, well that is the tough part. I decided I wanted the iPhone cable to go into the center console so I had to rip that out, and while I was at it decided it was a good time to paint the shifter bezel, and while I had the center dash trim and could get to the outer vents easily I decided to put LEDs in them, and I also decided to hard-wire my GPS into the RAP supply, and...

Needless to say it was (still is) an involved project. But the uPAC can be installed in less than an hour including taking apart and reassembling the dash if you're not pedantic about how and where the cables will be routed.

I have just a bit more work to do before the car is back together and will post some pictures when I am done.

~ MattInSoCal
Old 06-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
jcl

Got mine installed and everything working (took a while trying to figure out the pink and pink/black cables though). I installed it through the center console under the A/C controls.

Now to figure out where to put this huge ipod cable. I thought about just tying it up to make it smaller and like tape it down or something.

Also I was trying to figure out how to pause without turning the radio off. Is there any way?

Last edited by jcl; 06-30-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 AM   #15
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

Quote:
Got mine installed and everything working (took a while trying to figure out the pink and pink/black cables though).
Once you understand what you are supposed to do with them, it is easy. I had the advantage of the PAC tech support guy connecting them for me. As it turned out for my car, it didn't matter which one I used.

Quote:
I installed it through the center console under the A/C controls.
I put mine down in the BCM area so it's easier to get to for updates. For example, mine has not yet been updated for iOS4.

Quote:
Now to figure out where to put this huge ipod cable. I thought about just tying it up to make it smaller and like tape it down or something.
Velcro is your friend. I ran my iPod cable into the center console and velcro-wrapped it:

My AUX cable is in the glovebox:

Quote:
Also I was trying to figure out how to pause without turning the radio off. Is there any way?
I don't think there is. I did just send an email to the PAC tech support guy mentioning that. We'll see if he has anything to say.

~ MattInSoCal

Last edited by MattInSoCal; 09-03-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Update links in pictures (new host)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Car Audio, Video and Security