Transmission problems - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
aahudgens
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2
Gallery: 0
aahudgens is on a distinguished road
Transmission problems

Just took my 2005 G 6 to the shop. It has not been accelerating well between 40 and 60 miles per hour for the past month. Diagnosis=transmission has to come out. Anyone else having problems?
aahudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-05-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
aahudgens
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2
Gallery: 0
aahudgens is on a distinguished road
Transmission problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahudgens
Just took my 2005 G 6 to the shop. It has not been accelerating well between 40 and 60 miles per hour for the past month. Diagnosis=transmission has to come out. Anyone else having problems?
aahudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Robyn P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tennessee
Age: 37
Posts: 235
Gallery: 0
Robyn P is on a distinguished road
Oh my!!

I think you may be the first from what I can remember.
__________________
RP
Robyn P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
otcpharm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 169
Gallery: 0
otcpharm is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think Robyn is right.

Any specifics on what the problem is that necessitates removing the tranny?
otcpharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
VNaald
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 8
Gallery: 0
VNaald is on a distinguished road
Any word on how that turned out? And what specific problems was the car having?
I've felt a few weird things with my 2007 G6 with less than 10K miles regarding shifting at 35 mph+, but the dealer finds nothing and I worry it's all in my head. Sometimes when accelerating slowly between 40 and 50 it shifts a bit on the clunky side. Also, when driving over 60 mph and again accelerating slowly, without shifting gears, I get a small hesitation. If I give a bit more gas and it shifts gears it's no problem. But it just seems weird for an almost brand new car.
Any thoughts or results would be helpful. Thanks.
VNaald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
cdsipjp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13
Gallery: 0
cdsipjp is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the same issue I am having with my GTP 3.6L....almost no engine response as pedal is depressed, RPMs actually decrease (happens at about ~60MPH in 6, ~50MPH in 5...basically around 1300-1500RPM, where the computer wants car wants to run). Tranny will finally downshift seeing there is no speed increase with much increased pedal. Taking the dealer for a test drive tomorrow....

Last edited by cdsipjp; 07-02-2007 at 11:25 AM.
cdsipjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Kman
Designed For Action
 
Kman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kings Park,NY
Age: 54
Posts: 509
Gallery: 4
Kman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsipjp
Sounds like the same issue I am having with my GTP 3.6L....almost no engine response as pedal is depressed, RPMs actually decrease (happens at about ~60MPH in 6, ~50MPH in 5...basically around 1300-1500RPM, where the computer wants car wants to run). Tranny will finally downshift seeing there is no speed increase with much increased pedal. Taking the dealer for a test drive tomorrow....
Do you have the 6 speed auto tranny? If you do, I have heard of delayed shifting in those units.
__________________
Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
cdsipjp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13
Gallery: 0
cdsipjp is on a distinguished road
Thanks, will mention that to the dealer. I have heard of the delayed shifting, but thought it was in regards to the "manual mode" (and yes, it certainly does delay...must spend a second figuring out if what you tell it to do is actually ok!)
cdsipjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:48 AM   #9
cdsipjp
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13
Gallery: 0
cdsipjp is on a distinguished road
Just brought my 2007 GTP for a 3000mi check-up. One thing I complained about was somewhat harsh and erratic shifting at times. They found there was an update to the Transmission controller software, and I'll tell you, its like driving an entirely different car. All shifts are very smooth now, barely noticeable. Not sure which years the update covers, but if you are experiencing harsh or erratic shifting, I would recommend the dealer updates your car. I think the update is rather new, as my car was built in March (and it didn't have it). Transmission is the 6-speed auto/manual.
cdsipjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #10
jrakers710
JRakers 05 G6
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Gallery: 0
jrakers710 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2005 G6 V6 and i have just frequently been noticing certain things with it, The first thing i noticed was the delayed start every once in a while. Then i noticed the vibrating noise behind the dash board. Then i noticed the steering problems just yesterday i heard some weird noises coming from the steering column as i turned the wheel sharply in either direction. Just after that i noticed that the transmission just felt a little sticky, but that could be due to the fact that it has 47,000 miles on it and i need to get the fluid flushed soon. my girlfriend was in an accident like 3 months back, and about 2 weeks after it, i started to hear a noise from around the tires as i turned. it was a squealing noise and it only does it everyonce in a while, ive asked around and everyone thinks it can be something different, like the strut bearings, and the brake shoes hitting the rotors. im no mechanic so if anyone else thinks they might know what it is then let me know please.
jrakers710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #11
Kman
Designed For Action
 
Kman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kings Park,NY
Age: 54
Posts: 509
Gallery: 4
Kman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakers710 View Post
I have a 2005 G6 V6 and i have just frequently been noticing certain things with it, The first thing i noticed was the delayed start every once in a while. Then i noticed the vibrating noise behind the dash board. Then i noticed the steering problems just yesterday i heard some weird noises coming from the steering column as i turned the wheel sharply in either direction. Just after that i noticed that the transmission just felt a little sticky, but that could be due to the fact that it has 47,000 miles on it and i need to get the fluid flushed soon. my girlfriend was in an accident like 3 months back, and about 2 weeks after it, i started to hear a noise from around the tires as i turned. it was a squealing noise and it only does it everyonce in a while, ive asked around and everyone thinks it can be something different, like the strut bearings, and the brake shoes hitting the rotors. im no mechanic so if anyone else thinks they might know what it is then let me know please.
Does this noise occur on turns? Do you hear it when you go over bumps?
__________________
Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 AM   #12
jrakers710
JRakers 05 G6
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Gallery: 0
jrakers710 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman View Post
Does this noise occur on turns? Do you hear it when you go over bumps?
It mainly does it when i turn but sometimes it does it when i go straight. i dont think it has anything to do with the suspension because it doesnt really make a noise when i go over bumps.
jrakers710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #13
Kman
Designed For Action
 
Kman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Kings Park,NY
Age: 54
Posts: 509
Gallery: 4
Kman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakers710 View Post
It mainly does it when i turn but sometimes it does it when i go straight. i dont think it has anything to do with the suspension because it doesnt really make a noise when i go over bumps.
I would say the 'Rack and Pinion Unit' or CV joints.
__________________
Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #14
pawnlover
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 6
Gallery: 0
pawnlover is on a distinguished road
any specific odd symptoms your tranny displays?
__________________
pontiac parts
pawnlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
ChevelleSSLS6
Jeepin!
 
ChevelleSSLS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Age: 28
Posts: 10
Gallery: 0
ChevelleSSLS6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChevelleSSLS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsipjp View Post
Sounds like the same issue I am having with my GTP 3.6L....almost no engine response as pedal is depressed, RPMs actually decrease (happens at about ~60MPH in 6, ~50MPH in 5...basically around 1300-1500RPM, where the computer wants car wants to run). Tranny will finally downshift seeing there is no speed increase with much increased pedal. Taking the dealer for a test drive tomorrow....
My mom's Saturn Aura (3600, 6speed slushbox) does the same things. Same mechanically as the g6. It's likely a transmission programming deal with GM trying to get as much mpg as possible out of the thing, since they're all electronically controlled these days.
__________________
My Cars
-1993 Saturn SC2 manual *sold- 2004*
-2000 Pontiac GrandAm SE v6 *sold- 2006*
-1974 AMC Javelin 360v8, 4sp *underfunded project car*
-1996 Jeep Cherokee Country *DD with more uses than a swiss army knife*
-2007 Kawasaki EX650 *comfortable sportbike, summer dry driver*
ChevelleSSLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
© AutoGuide
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design