Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Can a supercharger or turbocharger work on my g6 gt

73K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Kibble Racing 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I have a 2007 Pontiac g6 gt sedan, and I was wondering if a supercharger or turbocharger would work on my car. I have heard it will blow my engine. I know I need an intercooler if I get a turbo, but what other mods would I have to do to make this work.?

Also, if I can turbo it or whatever, is it something I should have done professionally, or could I throw it on there myself?

THANKS

#2 ·
I would LOVE to see you do either. If you have enough cash you can do whatever you want - but you will def need a tune and at min a tranny upgrade. Your talking some serious cash but - it would be siick!

#5 ·
Since you have the GT, that means you have the V6 engine. There is no room under the hood to mount a supercharger. A turbo might be possible but it would be very tight. You would have to clear up a lot of room (reloacting the battery and other things for example) and do tons of custom plumbing under the hood. One other possibility is a rear-mounted turbo, but again it's complicated plumbing.

One guy did the work on his then-girlfriend's 6 but it has the 4-cylinder engine which has more room under the hood (but not much). The turbo was working in that it made boost and such but he could never get the car's computer to work with it properly and then things happened and the project stopped. At that point they were over $5000 into the project and still hadn't upgraded the suspension or transmission...

So yeah, if you have a lot of money, time, and especially expertise to throw into the project you could try to come up with your own turbo system, but there's nothing made to fit our cars; it has to be fully customized. Most people on starting to research this realize that it's way cheaper to sell their 6 and take that money plus the turbo money and buy something faster. Like a G8 GXP. :D

~ MattInSoCal

#6 · (Edited)
I recently asked a local performance garage their take on this. I was told that if you intend to go 100% out on your G6 for track performance, this IS a costly and requires extensive time - though it is possible with a handful of other mods.

I was also told that.. If this is being considered for a G6, that's a daily driver, not being built for the track - that it's a money pit & will continue to be a money pit.

I have no personal opinion on this matter - as for space under the hood - have you ever looked under the hood of a VAG 2.0T?

^ This engine comes STOCK with a turbo, and it's VERY crowded. It comes with the VAG k03, which is honestly about the size of your first.. This specific picture has some sort of Garrett turbo, which are NOT the size of your fist. I do not think hood space would be an issue on a GM car.

Also - the 05 Impala SS motor was bigger, and the frame is a similiar size (I think?), so once again - hood space shouldn't be an issue because it came with GM's stock turbo, same as an 06 Cobalt SS. BUT I AM A NEWER MEMBER HERE, AND THESE ARE PURELY MY OPINIONS.

^ Proof that a turbo CAN fit in a G6...
I believe it's a Precision turbo, Tial 38mm waste-gate, and a Blitz Dump Valve(EW!) ^ I believe the above is a demo car for Dr Speed, which is now shut down?

#7 ·
and doctorspeed also never got his running correctly either if you plan on doing this, you better plan on replaceing your headgaskets as they tend to blow even on stock engines......it used to be just the 3.9s but more and more 3.5's are having the HGs fail ihad to have mine replaced twice on my GT....... your also gonna have to ship your car to detroit, MI to be tuned since if anyone is going to be able to tune it correctly its going to be WAMS

coming from the guy that cant tell when his rotors are warped this isnt gonna be something you can do yourself, and i highly suggest against it with as many problems the LZ4 has in stock form, and from what i hear turbos are very high maintenance and if you donw know what your doing you will destroy it in no time and its not gonna be reliable for a DD

if anything is going to be turboed SUCESSFULLY its going to be the 2.4 and 3.6 both engines have a much higher build quality than the 3.5/3.9 and both have already been sucessfully turboed (just not in a G6) the 3.6 has already been twin turboed making close to 400hp in australia RELIABLY

#11 ·
so i emailed STS about turbos on G6. and they replied me.
"Thank you for contacting STS Turbo regarding our remote mounted turbo systems!

Yes, we have a great solution for your application! It is called our Universal Single (or Twin) Turbo System. Our Universal Systems have been successfully installed on hundreds of satisfied customers' vehicles over the years.

(Click here for Pictures)

(Click here for Videos)

The patented STS SINGLE TURBO SYSTEM for only $1995 and the STS TWIN TURBO SYSTEM for only $2995 are a great Value. You can put the turbo wherever you want which gives you endless possibilities for turbo placement. By remotely mounting the turbo you simplify the installation and you completely stay away from the damaging and power robbing heat produced by a manifold mounted turbo. The STS system uses a SCAVENGE PUMP(2 for the twin) that is included in the kit together with hoses, fittings and electrical components to turbo charge your vehicle. The STS oil pump equipped with an ALARM system to notify you of a malfunction will take the oil from the turbo and pump it back to the motor and can be fitted to the valve cover for ease of installation unlike typical front mount systems that require tapping the oil pan increasing the installation time and cost. The kit also includes the correct size STS Turbo ('S) for your motor and horse power goals, a reusable High flow STS air filter (x2 on the Twin System), STS/Turbosmart 38mm Wastegate std with a 5psi spring (x2 on the Twin System) that is upgradeable to the boost level you desire, Flanges for the turbo and wastegate for mounting, a comprehensive installation instructions manual and a 1 year warranty. Optional components are available....

(STS/Turbosmart 50mm Blow Off Valve $299)

(STS Turbo upgrades up to 1200hp+ Available, See sales rep for more information)

(STS Turbo Dual Stage Boost controller $165)

(STS Turbo Water Methanol Injection system $499)

(STS Turbo Turbine Jackets $150)

(STS Turbo Pipe Kits from with silicone connectors and clamps)

(Click here to watch an installation on 2 GUYS GARAGE)

Please look this information over and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you on your next turbo project..

Sincerely

-Vernon Hills
Regional Sales Manager
vhills@ststurbo.com
801-224-3477"
this is their answer...
seems so perfunctory, nothing is on the point.

#12 ·
hi i have 2007 pontiac g6 gt sedan and i was wondering if a supercharger or turbocharger would work on my car. i have heard it will like blow my engine. I know i need an intercooler if i get a turbo but what other mods would i have to do to make this work. Also if i can turbo it or whatever. is it something i should have done professionally or could i just throw it on there myself?
THANKS
Your talking around 4,000 and that's on the low side and yes you will definitely want to have a professional do it because it will have to be tuned and broke in and you might want to get upgraded internals but I would love to see you boost it good luck with your build

#16 ·
Being 14 years old and how many miles on that motor? And you now want to "forced induction" to it. Even "chipping" it will still change stresses to the motor with age and probable high mileage. And NO a chip and "short ram(CAI) will not put you that much gain.
At best I'd suggest YES you can CAI your ride "on the cheap", but don't look for huge gains.

#18 ·
hi i have 2007 pontiac g6 gt sedan and i was wondering if a supercharger or turbocharger would work on my car. i have heard it will like blow my engine. I know i need an intercooler if i get a turbo but what other mods would i have to do to make this work. Also if i can turbo it or whatever. is it something i should have done professionally or could i just throw it on there myself?
THANKS

Does this answer your question?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.