Brake Fluid Flush - Pontiac G6 Forum
Pontiac G6 Forum Pontiac G6 Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance
Register Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

G6OwnersClub.com is the premier Pontiac G6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Abyssul
Moderator Member Thingy

Gallery: 0
Abyssul is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Brake Fluid Flush

So I just realized that since I bought the car in 2008, my G6 hasn't had a brake fluid flush. It's recommended every 2 years so I am overdue by at least a year or more.

Should I go to my local parts store and get a brake fluid test kit to check to see if it needs flushed out, or just go ahead and flush it?

If it needs flushed, how much will it be (approximately)? Is there anything I need to know beforehand?

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

Abyssul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
eggnore

eggnore is on a distinguished road
you dont flush it, you bleed it out. i never do it though i recommend just sapping out the fluid in your master cylinder reservoir with a turkey baster and refilling it to the exact same level with new fluid every time you change your pads.
eggnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
davez26

Gallery: 6
davez26 is on a distinguished road
We do a pressure bleed at the shop. Essentially you are bleeding the brakes from end to end. That's pretty much it. Have a couple pints of fluid.
Okay I'll be honest, I never thought that it could make that much difference, which is bad.
When I bought the car, I did it because the fluid was kinda yukky.
Anyway, it made a pretty big difference in the pedal feel.
Don't bother checking it, just do it, you won't be sorry.
davez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
Lampoon
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Gallery: 40
Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
It a sealed system. It should be fine.....but yeah....Im gonna do the same.
What DOT are you fellas using?

Have you seen 5.1?

Quote:
For use in DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake systems. Non-silicone based, long life and 100% synthetic, DOT 5.1 BRAKE FLUID conforms to the highest standards in brake fluid performance. DOT 5.1 is specially designed for Anti-Locking Brake Systems (ABS). With a high dry boiling point of
270°C (522°F) and a high wet boiling point of 185°C (365°F),
DOT 5.1 delivers the best brake performance and mixes with DOT 3 and DOT 4.
Im also going to buy new SS brake lines for the front. Gonna pull em off & get the specs this week for the order.

My Progession
Lampoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Abyssul
Moderator Member Thingy

I'm just going to leave my brake fluid alone unless I have reason to investigate. This thread was a few months old.

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,

Old 06-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
Lampoon

Lampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really niceLampoon is just really nice
It is a closed system.....shouldnt be any need to play with it unless there is a problem....
I - have a problem. Its very intermittent and has only happened 3 times but I want it fixed....sooooo new lines and new fluid for my G6!

My Progession
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
MattInSoCal
Professional geek

MattInSoCal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
It is a closed system.....shouldnt be any need to play with it unless there is a problem....
I used to think this too and never considered flushing the brakes. Recently I have changed my mind on this.

Even though it's a (theoretically) sealed system, there are components within that are subject to wear. Primarily it will be the piston and master cylinder seals that slowly wear from friction, and also break down (though usually quite slowly) due to contact with the brake fluid. The other factor to consider is that brake fluid will eventually break down due to age, which is accelerated by temperature. Oh, and the moment you take the lid off the master cylinder, you've broken the seal on the whole system no matter how much you wiped the cover off first.

What really convinced me is seeing how much crap was in the fluid the last time I did the brakes on my fiancée's car, especially when contrasted to the nice, practically clear fluid going into the reservoir. You don't necessarily need to power flush as long as you keep moving fluid through each caliper until the fluid coming out of the bleed drain is clear. Kits to help you do it at home are relatively cheap; you don't need to pay $70 to $120 to have a shop do it for you unless you are really all thumbs. After you flush your system you will probably notice a big difference in the brake pedal response.

On my other cars I have also performed an annual cooling system flush. I haven't done that yet to the '6 but am looking into it.

~ MattInSoCal
MattInSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Lampoon

My only problem is where to dispose of the brake fluid?
Which brings up another question- How do you dispose the used coolant?

My Progession
Old 06-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Abyssul
Moderator Member Thingy

I haven't had my brake or coolant fluid touched since I got the car with 60k miles. Its now at 95k miles. I wish there was someone in my area who could help.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
eggnore

eggnore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
My only problem is where to dispose of the brake fluid?
Which brings up another question- How do you dispose the used coolant?
just take it to a part store or a shop, they have to take it. i know autozone takes oil for free- not so sure about brake fluid though.

and you cant just leave it alone. water vapors still get into your brake system and the fluid absorbs them. that's what its designed to do (you ever get it on your hands? it isn't pleasant [if you actually do this don't get it on your car's paint either]). after a while it builds up and can rust parts of your system, that's why people will get frozen brake calipers, or defects in their master cylinders.

EDIT: @abyssul the best thing to do is to take it to the shop and get the system purged, but just doing what i said will be fine too if you don't wanna spend the money. You can buy a pressure bleeding kit yourself but it isn't really worth it, and they can occasionally make your master cylinder reservoir explode if it isn't done properly.

Last edited by eggnore; 06-14-2011 at 03:24 PM.
eggnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance