Pontiac G6 Forum banner

LED headlights

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  tomjbailey 
#1 ·
has anyone used or seen the LED headlight bulbs?? i see them all over the internet and i wonder how the output is as a headlight...i love the clean cool blue look, i like it better than HIDs but are they any good?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I did some research in the past and basically found that they aren't really powerful enough to be a good headlight. If you were to try one go for something that has a lot of power, enough to require. Little metal heat sync on the bulb. Then it may be just barely bright enough.

Audi has recently started producing effective led headlights but for the good stuff it costs a bunch of money.

#4 ·
I found something like this, Which is a high output LED 5w, but it has a focused lens on the front, that wouldn't work because our headlights have a little cup over the bulb.

This seems more the way to go, 7.5w led bulbs with 360 high power LEDs, Looks promising, but they say for driving or fog lights, nowhere for headlights. I would imagine they look great and bright but are just not enough to light your way safetly as you drive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-H11-Hi...LED-Fog-Driving-Light-Bulbs-NEW-/250949354920

#8 ·
#9 ·
HIDs produce between 2,800 and 3,500 lumens with just a 35w ballast. While halogen bulbs produce between 700 and 2,100 lumens from between 40 and 72 watts.

So those LED headlights look good. They produce 1200 lumens and are better than lower quality halogen headlights, but they won't hold up against HIDs.

I'm sure its enough light to drive by though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.