Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Cold Air vs Full Air intake?

8K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  mshinall 
#1 · (Edited)
Im looking at getting an intake.... but i see Cold Air and Full air?

When i research it they look almost the same, except for price, and cold takes air from the wheel bay(correct me if im wrong) and full air takes from the engine cabin... any thoughts, or suggestions?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Looking at Chrome intake or Volant for Cold air and then i found something similar to chrome intake but it sits inside the engine compartment

Ebay (for all of them):
Cold Air:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370753283505?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400257629410?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Full Air:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360506356822?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

at least for me i also have to look at ease of install, since im a noob at anything car related.

#4 ·
I'm no expert, but a full ram cold air intake will give you the most horse power and fuel efficiency increase, a short ram intake will provide similar but less increase to the full ram cold air intake, but with better sound effects. I'm guessing the full non-cold air intake refers to stock intake? Which probably isn't what you want..

#5 ·
I thought the same thing at first since the "full air" is just the same as my stock filter but instead of it being a flat filter its a K N Cone filter.

im leanig towards Volant PowerCore Cold Air Intake its more expensive but looks much easier to install and since im a noob i want to give it a try.

#7 ·
The "chrome" intake and "full air" intake are thr same exact thing. Look at the picture. Then precede to slap yourself across the face for not buying a CRABS intake :) +1 for the best g6 intake

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Lampoon
#9 ·
step one proceed to slap myself for not getting the sold out Crab intake (done) step two purchase intake (done) lol

I get to pick it up Friday and hopefully can post some pics over the weekend...hopefully I do it without taking it to a shop

#8 ·
Reactions: Lampoon
#11 ·
no worries I got it :)

yea I just heard that some fit and install easier... it blows (not the cool kind) not having experience installing or updating my G6, ive had it since it was on the showroom floor and never really gave her an mods or upgrades.

excited though to try my first Mod on my own

#13 ·
lol, thanks i was going to the hardware store today since i actually dont have tools other than a screw driver :)

really looking forward to it.

#15 ·
I'm going with volant, turns out the back ally deal I made didn't turn out so well... I called the guy who told me he would sell me a new one for 130 bucks but it turns out its missing parts...
I gotta order it online now and pay full pop and wait for it to get here from Texas

Still excited... just dislike the waiting

#16 ·
volant cai install

I installed a Volant cai in my 2006 Pontiac g6 gt couple of weeks ago easy install with a few issues the box fitted well but the holes that clip the ac line to the side of the box didn,t line up at all so I couldn,t attach it!! had to drill my own holes in the box to attach filter assembly no big deal . the biggest problem I had was attaching the pipe to the throttle body the silicone sleeve was to small to go on to the Volant pipe I had to stretch the hell out of it to make it fit!! the sleeve that attached the mass air flow sensor to the pipe was 3.25" inside diameter and fit perfectly the throttle body sleeve was 3.00" I contacted Volant by email to replace it almost 2 weeks no response!! I also installed the tiger ram to the box fed from the bottom of car without the scoop to start and removed it after a week we had a lot of rain up here in Ontario Canada that week and found that the pipe was wet inside so I opened the box and I could see dried water spots inside the box !! so you could imagine if I would of put the scoop on the bottom how much water would of been fed up in there!! not taking a chance !! I would say it looks pretty good under the hood and it barks when you put your foot into it !! I think it makes a decent improvement in performance and fuel mileage has increased about 1.5 miles per gallon!! the box is really close to the hood liner and is taking some of the paint of the box access cover!!

#17 ·
Crabs arnt sold out.....havent been since last year.
Just havent updated the web site. :D

The Contact tab on the crab site is your friend. ;)

Volant is not much of an intake.
Too many issues for little gain over your stocker. :rolleyes:

Did you like their customer service? :eek:

#18 ·
yea, i had the same issue with the AC line but i havent done the holes yet I just patched up the ones that didn't fit.

i went to autozone and got a silicone sleeve i sent an email too but no response :(

I got pics in my progression thread

i got huge increase in MPG but i changed my tires, got an alignment, changed my exhaust and got the volant intake. the other day it was 22.8 mpg :)

and it sounds so much better than it did before and has a waaaay nicer pick up then before too.

my paint off mine is rubbed/scratched off but I was going to get a new hood and hope it stops that before it just becomes plain black

not that im happy you had issues but im glad it wasnt just me! At first i thought since i was/am a noob it was me and not the products or parts lol

looks good, sounds better than stock and did help with MPG but customer service blew and not the awesome kind.

if I would have known the Crabs wasn't sold out I probably would have gone with it since I hear its awesome :)

#21 ·
The FPU is a front pipe upgrade. It upgrades your stock pipe from your throttle body to your mass airflow sensor. Your stocker has a squeeze in it off the 90 by the tbi and indents in the front and for your dipstick.
Remember that air can only flow at the rate the smallest point will allow (choke point). The FPU replaces it with a true mandrel bent 3" system that allows 24% more air to flow over your stock pipe. Users report more torque in the lower end. It is designed to work with the Cab.
...and thats not even mentioning the bling factor! Lol

#22 ·
Yep, it is sure nice to look at. The polished aluminum jumps right out at you when you pop the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.