2006 G6 GT Cruise/Brake light problem - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

2006 G6 GT Cruise/Brake light problem

I have a 2006 G6 GT that i had bought from a place. Right now it has a decent issue, when i brake the brake lights dim, when im not braking they are fully lit up. Whenever that issue with the brake lights occur the cruise control doesn't work either. The check engine is never on. BUT i do have a case or two where the cruise has worked and the brake lights were working properly, but while i was driving it started the issue again. I have taken in by a shop but they could not find what the problem was because it was not occurring when they had the car. I have called Pontiac about recalled g6's and ours is not a recall BUT it has a very similar problem. Can anyone please help give me a guiding way on what i should do, im lost here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Garage
Bought it from a place?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac issue View Post
Can anyone please help give me a guiding way on what i should do, im lost here.
try searching because its been discussed many times on here

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Pontiac G6 Brake Light issue

I just found the same problem with my brake lights on an 08 G6 last night. Brake lights are on all the time and go dim when the brakes are applied. This also affects the cruise control as the cruise shut off is activated by the application of the brakes. If the cruise tinks the brakes are applied it won't turn on.

The brake senser is under the console and attached to the brake pedal. It is white and has a long "U" shape that a small shaft is inserted. As the brake pedal is pushed the small shaft rides in the "U" shape of the senser which in turn roatates the senser and activates the brake lights.

Under your steering wheel there is a plastic panel with 2 screws holding it in. Mine were 7MM. Take out the screws and pull the panel down. Look up into the underside. You will ned a flashlight.(I had to put my seat back all the way and go head first upside down.) Follow your brake pedal and you will see the white sensor as mentioned above. There is one screw holding it on. (Another 7MM) There is also a small tip on the sensor that lines up with a hole to properly put it back in place. I just took my sensor out, unhooked the wire connection.(you have to press on the one side of the black portion of the wiring harness to remove it from the sensor) I rotated the sensor to try to loosen it back up and also put a little grease on the "U" prtion to let it slide easier on the small shaft and put it back on. It works for now as a temporary fix. My parts store did not have the part in until tommorow. Cost is $30.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in