Overheating 09 g6 gxp - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Overheating 09 g6 gxp

First the damaged started i hit a bump in texas it bent the supports to the radiator back and cracked the radiator. I got those fixed and headed back home. but also had my craddle was bent so i had the replaced along with new fan and air condenser.

So all that fixed but now my car over heats while i drive at times it gets to 225. for the entire year i had it never moved but now it moves.

a pontiac dealership repair shop says thats normal??????????? wtf.

they said they ran all the tests twice but im like that never did that before this happened.

the guys that fixed it when they replaced the raidotor was a little concerened that not enough coolant was put in it only took 1 gallon and it said it was full...

what else could be making my car heat up like that.

Bad radiator? a fan relay got wet somehow? thermostat got damaged when there was no coolant?

also i was told this was normal when i turn off the car and come back lets say 5 mins later and turn the engine on its hot..... but i would swear before this happened it would always be at the one normal dash on the temp gauge.

so help please.

will here was a solution from the guys in texas there is a rubber seal on the raditor it was on before i had the other repiars done but now its off but here is the catch before the repairs it was still heating up. so it cant be that but it might help.

im thinking like fan or radiotor something HELP PLEASE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

firestone purged some more air but it still heats up
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyattgoose5150 View Post
First the damaged started i hit a bump in texas it bent the supports to the radiator back and cracked the radiator. I got those fixed and headed back home. but also had my craddle was bent so i had the replaced along with new fan and air condenser.

So all that fixed but now my car over heats while i drive at times it gets to 225. for the entire year i had it never moved but now it moves.

a pontiac dealership repair shop says thats normal??????????? wtf.

they said they ran all the tests twice but im like that never did that before this happened.

the guys that fixed it when they replaced the raidotor was a little concerened that not enough coolant was put in it only took 1 gallon and it said it was full...

what else could be making my car heat up like that.

Bad radiator? a fan relay got wet somehow? thermostat got damaged when there was no coolant?

also i was told this was normal when i turn off the car and come back lets say 5 mins later and turn the engine on its hot..... but i would swear before this happened it would always be at the one normal dash on the temp gauge.

so help please.

will here was a solution from the guys in texas there is a rubber seal on the raditor it was on before i had the other repiars done but now its off but here is the catch before the repairs it was still heating up. so it cant be that but it might help.

im thinking like fan or radiotor something HELP PLEASE.
225 is on the high side of normal but I understand you were used to it running cooler. Severe overheating can damage a thermostat pretty fast so you might want to replace it if that was not done already. If you pull the stat there's a temp rating stamped on it (which is probably 195 degrees). I would stick with the same rating as opposed to going cooler. Usually air in the system is the cause for temp variation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

unfortunately that sounds normal, i have a dashhawk that reads the temp more accurate than the stock guage displays, and even if i just start it up and leave it idle for 15 min the temp shoots up to about 222-223 and gets up around there anytime you are sitting idleing but as soon as i start driving it goes down to 194/195...........this whole time the needle on the stock guage has not moved AT ALL off of the same mark over that wide a temp range........ i want a 160 tstat but they dont make ANY aftermarket cooler stats that i am aware of.....

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyG6 View Post
unfortunately that sounds normal, i have a dashhawk that reads the temp more accurate than the stock guage displays, and even if i just start it up and leave it idle for 15 min the temp shoots up to about 222-223 and gets up around there anytime you are sitting idleing but as soon as i start driving it goes down to 194/195...........this whole time the needle on the stock guage has not moved AT ALL off of the same mark over that wide a temp range........ i want a 160 tstat but they dont make ANY aftermarket cooler stats that i am aware of.....
Have you ever looked at the ECT data with a scan tool? I'd be curious what that says. You tied the dashhawk into the existing ECT sensor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in