AC condensation in passenger floor board - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

AC condensation in passenger floor board

This started happening yesterday to my girlfriends 2009 G6. I'm guessing it's due to a clogged drain tube. Where is this tube located on a G6? Is it something that the car needs jacked up to reach or can you get to it with the hood popped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
This started happening yesterday to my girlfriends 2009 G6. I'm guessing it's due to a clogged drain tube. Where is this tube located on a G6? Is it something that the car needs jacked up to reach or can you get to it with the hood popped?
This was all I can find:

Service Information 2009 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2195197
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC4896A: White Plug/Cap In The HVAC Case (Evaporator Drain) - keywords condensation core drain evap floor heater odor passenger water wet - (Sep 23, 2008)

Subject: White Plug/Cap In the HVAC Case (Evaporator Drain)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

2008-2009 Pontiac G6

2008-2009 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update the removal of the drain plug and to update recommendation. Please discard PIC4896.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
This PI was created to inform service Technicians of a white plug/cap that is installed into the end of the evaporator/HVAC housing drain nipple. This plug/cap is part of the production design and intended to be on the HVAC drain for the life of the car. Its purpose is to prevent airflow directly into the HVAC case and aids in part of the "quiet car" initiative.

The HVAC/evaporator drains now through an opening in the bottom of the drain tube rather than at the end of the tube, as it has been previously.

This change was on any Saturn Aura, Pontiac G6 built since October 2007. The new 2008 Chevrolet Malibu since start of production will also have this plug/cap.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If there is water on the passenger side front floor area, check the operation of the drain. Make sure that small debris is NOT plugging it up. If so please "REMOVE" the white plug and discard it, to prevent any future reoccurrence of the drain plugging up.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

scroll down to 114:

http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?p=424365

you have to register to see pics, no big deal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for digging that up! I registered on the site and am waiting for them to verify my account so I can see the pics and fix this. The girlfriend will be happy to use her AC again and get the trash bag and plastic bowl out of her passenger floor board lol.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
Thanks for digging that up! I registered on the site and am waiting for them to verify my account so I can see the pics and fix this. The girlfriend will be happy to use her AC again and get the trash bag and plastic bowl out of her passenger floor board lol.
So you have no reason to suspect an exterior leak?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Well at this time I figured it was clogged up. If it doesn't look clogged up, then I'll have to take it to a mechanic and let them look at it. I figured the least I could do was try to unclog it if that's the case. It may very well be an external leak. The car is driven on gravel a lot so I figured it's a good possibility of it being clogged.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Looks like I'll just have to take it to a mechanic anyways. I can't see anything underneath the car that looks like a drain.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM

I had that same problem with my Chevy HHr, I replace the Buty patch which was below the crawl of the windshield wipers, had to remove the windshield wipers then the crawl, once I was there then I had to replace the rubber buty patch that was laying in the hole that it had suppose to cover, so I put new patch on, and had no water leak in my HHr, now my G6 is having that same problem, so I will be looking under the windshield wiper crawl again to see if it is th same as my HHr was, is so then I will clean it and replace what need to be, hope that this give you another dirrection to look at instead on moon roof.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 01:47 PM

On my 09 I open hood, on passenger side at the top corner under heat shield for cat conv is my A/C drain.

09 G6 2.4 Sun & sound package-Preferred package
225/50R17S factory
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM

This issue is super easy to see and fix once you know where it is. You will need some needle nose pliers, a flat blade screwdriver, and something like a straw, or I used a piece of long wire. This needs done from the top, can't really access from bottom.

Stand over the front passenger wheel, look down at fire wall, just off center to the passenger side, near the tunnel that goes down the center of the car, try to find a thin metal shield facing up, behind this shield is the drain tube. it likely has a white plug in it. Using the needle nose pliers and a flat bladed screwdriver, pry off the cap and discard. Take your straw, or wire, and insert in end of tube and gently push in to release the blockage. Once freed, you should see the water come gushing out. This is how we fixed ours.

Sorry, I don't have any pics at this time.

EDIT: I took some when I got home.

Standing at front passenger wheel, look towards firewall and find this area looking over alternator.

Here you can see tube without plug.

Last edited by thebbbrain; 11-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Leak sunroof drain

I found out were the water is coming from, I used a pop bottle filled it with water, open my sunroof and poured water by wind blocker net, had passenger door open as I did it, the water was coming out below the glove box at the panel by the door near the floor, now I have to figure out how to get to the drain hole tubing, I see where the water is suppose to exit, right in the opening of the door but higher up by where the door hinge is, you can see the rubber exit spout.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 05:43 AM

The front drain tubes run down the A pillar I think, I had the similar problem with the rears coming disconnected at the roof, maybe disconnected or clogged

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Water Leak

I'm to having a water leak from the moonroof drain hole passenger side, now all I need to do is find out how to get to the hose, because it is disconnected to the gormet where the water is suppose to come out of, if anyone knows how to get to the hose please post on here.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:12 AM

You have to drop the headliner to get to them

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in