Dashboard gauges - Pontiac G6 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Dashboard gauges

My dashboard gauges work then stop working then start working again. Everything reads zero even when I am driving. Yesterday it was doing this then today it fine. The temp gauge will randomly be the only thing moving..it will run to hot then back to cold and stop working. Has anyone had this problem and if so where you able to fix it? I looked online and have seen where others have had this problem yet the mechanics can't figure out why...HELP!!!! also my car doesn't want to start sometimes...it will turn over but not start..then it starts. I wonder if these are connected??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBotts View Post
My dashboard gauges work then stop working then start working again. Everything reads zero even when I am driving. Yesterday it was doing this then today it fine. The temp gauge will randomly be the only thing moving..it will run to hot then back to cold and stop working. Has anyone had this problem and if so where you able to fix it? I looked online and have seen where others have had this problem yet the mechanics can't figure out why...HELP!!!! also my car doesn't want to start sometimes...it will turn over but not start..then it starts. I wonder if these are connected??
MY, engine & mileage could be helpful. Instrument cluster backlighting is unaffected? Did the two complaints start more or less at the same time? Engine cranking is strong? Are any of the instrument cluster indicator lamps lit up after engine start? How long since the complaints began?

Last edited by greenman; 07-07-2011 at 12:59 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

mileage is 54,000 and it is a V6 engine. the dashboard lights and gauges went off for a couple seconds then came back on. when they came back on the gauges did not work..they were reading zero but i was driving. the problem with the car not starting began about a month ago. It acts like it is starting then doesn't. It doesn't do that all the time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
mileage is 54,000 and it is a V6 engine. the dashboard lights and gauges went off for a couple seconds then came back on. when they came back on the gauges did not work..they were reading zero but i was driving. the problem with the car not starting began about a month ago. It acts like it is starting then doesn't. It doesn't do that all the time
Did you check for DTC's? ALWAYS do that first. Even if the MIL is unlit.

Intermittent electrical issues are by far the most difficult to troubleshoot. Unless you are (at the very least) a shade tree mechanic with good knowledge of multimeter use you will need help with this. The two complaints could be related or not. There are quite a few possibilities for an intermittent crank-no start condition. It's probably worth it to have a dealer put the tech 2 on it & get a diagnosis. You may be able to do the actual repair yourself.

Last edited by greenman; 07-07-2011 at 01:34 PM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

What are DTC's?? No mechanic by far!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
What are DTC's?? No mechanic by far!!
http://www.aa1car.com/library/trouble_code.htm

Autozone will read codes for free but be very wary of their advice on what to replace. A stand alone code reader can be had for 30 bucks & is a basic must-have tool.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

If the check engine light is not on will it give a code? They have always said in the past when I took my other car there that if the check engine light is not on they won't get a code.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
your cars computer should keep that code in its memory.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
If the check engine light is not on will it give a code? They have always said in the past when I took my other car there that if the check engine light is not on they won't get a code.
DTC's can be pending. The computer decides if the condition warrants lighting the MIL. But a pending code can give you a clue what's happening. No one should be without a basic code reader anymore considering they are so cheap.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Slick Black Pontiac

Send a message via Skype™ to Gambit
I believe that there is a fuse for the gauges behind the kick panel on the passenger side of the center console... I would check that fuse first.

Modifications:
Aftermarket Exhaust system w/chrome tip. (came with car)
Red ZZ Performance Strut Tower Bar.
Pioneer DEH-P5200HD CD Receiver (HD Radio).
Metra 99-3303 adapter and Steering wheel control adapter.
LED bulbs in climate control panel.
Moda MD9 wheels, Falken Ziex ZE 912 tires.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
I believe that there is a fuse for the gauges behind the kick panel on the passenger side of the center console... I would check that fuse first.
I have never seen an intermittent auto fuse in my life...but never say never I guess.

Last edited by greenman; 03-22-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Does this issue keep happening to you? I have a 2006 V6 and this exact issue happened to me today for the first time (95k miles). I have also had the starting issue for some time...but it always ends up starting, I thought I had read somewhere that that issue was common and was not a big deal. This dashboard thing is weird. I have also had my radio tell me it was locked before...turning the car off and then starting back up fixed that. I really hate GM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I have never run across an intermittent fuse in my life...but never say never I guess.
Believe it or not I found the fuse boxes for these cars aren't too good. I put a fuse tap in one and it was enough to bend the tab in the fuse box preventing the fuse from making contact. ended up having to put a piece of wire in to keep it all snug. So far so good... but so lame that I had to do that.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinG6 View Post
Believe it or not I found the fuse boxes for these cars aren't too good. I put a fuse tap in one and it was enough to bend the tab in the fuse box preventing the fuse from making contact. ended up having to put a piece of wire in to keep it all snug. So far so good... but so lame that I had to do that.
Fuse taps should be outlawed for that exact reason. They very commonly ruin fuse holders. And if it's in the cabin fuse box/BCM it requires replacing the BCM itself. Much safer to do a proper wire tap with an inline fuse.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 PM

I have this same issue. If the gauges aren't working when I fist turn the key on, it will not start nor even turn over. Not sure what is causing it, but I did find an odd way to correct it for the moment. While holding the key in the START position, tap the horn and it will reset whatever is causing the issue. I may have to this several times one day and maybe not again for a couple of days. I think the antitheft isn't communicating correctly with the BCM. I am leaning towards the BCM as the radio doesn't shut off when I open the door either. I also noted that while listening to AM radio programming that their is a light chirping wound while the gauges are out. Goes away when the gauges come back on.

mwlaue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in