AC doesn't turn on anymore? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

AC doesn't turn on anymore?

Hey everyone, seems like one issue after another with this car. Wonderful.

Driving a 2009 G6 GT 3.5L. AC worked fine this morning from what I felt (didn't really have it on, had windows going) but definitely worked yesterday no problems. Today, I go to turn it on and it's just blowing warm air. I don't even hear the compressor turn on or anything.

I think I checked the right fuses (Fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box right next to the battery?), but maybe I'm missing more or didn't find the right fuse. I'm hoping that it's a fuse issue as everything was working fine yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look at before I shell out another crazy amount of $$$ for this car?

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Hey everyone, seems like one issue after another with this car. Wonderful.

Driving a 2009 G6 GT 3.5L. AC worked fine this morning from what I felt (didn't really have it on, had windows going) but definitely worked yesterday no problems. Today, I go to turn it on and it's just blowing warm air. I don't even hear the compressor turn on or anything.

I think I checked the right fuses (Fuse #1 in the engine compartment fuse box right next to the battery?), but maybe I'm missing more or didn't find the right fuse. I'm hoping that it's a fuse issue as everything was working fine yesterday.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should look at before I shell out another crazy amount of $$$ for this car?

Ian
Fuse 1 is the AC clutch fuse yes. Now find the AC clutch relay (34) in the engine compartment fuse box & swap it out with another identical one (there are several 8866s in there) temporarily to see if that fixes it. If no joy swap them back & report back here.

Last edited by greenman; 07-08-2011 at 07:59 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Fuse 1 is the AC clutch fuse right. Now find the AC clutch relay (34) in the engine compartment fuse box & swap it out with another identical one (there are several 8866s in there) temporarily to see if that fixes it. If no joy swap them back & report back here.
Nope, didn't seem to fix the issue.

Anything else I should look at? I still didn't hear anything kick on when I pressed the AC button. The light is lit up but it's still blowing warm air.

Edit: And yes, Fuse 1 is the AC Clutch Fuse.

Last edited by IanG; 07-08-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Nope, didn't seem to fix the issue.

Anything else I should look at? I still didn't hear anything kick on when I pressed the AC button. The light is lit up but it's still blowing warm air.

Edit: And yes, Fuse 1 is the AC Clutch Fuse.
Is the AC clutch engaging the compressor?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

No, I don't believe I hear the compressor turning on at all. I should be able to hear it with the car idling, correct? If so, I don't hear any change when I press the AC button.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
No, I don't believe I hear the compressor turning on at all. I should be able to hear it with the car idling, correct? If so, I don't hear any change when I press the AC button.
Grab a flashlight & shine it down on the compressor & see if its turning with A/C ON.

Last edited by greenman; 07-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Where would I look in the engine compartment and how can I tell if it's turning on or off?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Is the temperature gauge working?
My G6 had a bad thermostat and wouldn't come up to temp .The computer then shuts off the a/c and the temp gauge stops working.
Just an idea.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the temperature gauge looked like it was working fine. Needle was at the middle of the gauge or so (forget what temperature that is).
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
Is the temperature gauge working?
My G6 had a bad thermostat and wouldn't come up to temp .The computer then shuts off the a/c and the temp gauge stops working.
Just an idea.
I know there is a high coolant temperature AC clutch disable (237deg) but I'm not aware of a low coolant temperature clutch disable. It is true that a lack of input signal from the ECT will disable the AC clutch. It follows that an intermittent ECT signal will produce an intermittent AC clutch. A lack of ECT input will also result in the cluster gauge zeroing out.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

By the way guys, where can I locate the AC Compressor in the engine bay? I'm having one hell of a time finding it... Pics would be appreciated!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
By the way guys, where can I locate the AC Compressor in the engine bay? I'm having one hell of a time finding it... Pics would be appreciated!
Front most on the bottom. I'm guessing it's not turning. Several possible reasons for that.

Last edited by greenman; 07-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Front most on the bottom. I'm guessing it's not cycling. Several possible reasons for that.
Anything I should try? Or are all reasons only able to be fixed by a shop?

Edit: It might sound like I don't know anything, but I'm the type of person where if you tell me what needs to happen, I'll figure it out without breaking everything :P
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Anything I should try? Or are all reasons only able to be fixed by a shop?

Edit: It might sound like I don't know anything, but I'm the type of person where if you tell me what needs to happen, I'll figure it out without breaking everything :P
Is it turning? If you can't tell me that then we're done.

Last edited by greenman; 07-22-2011 at 08:45 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Is it cycling? If you can't tell me that then we're done.
Let me go check on that quickly. Not sure why my brain didn't process that when I was out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in